Installing Windows 2000 on Broadwell laptop?

So Windows 2000 can run on modern machine as Windows XP (W2K and XP has same kernel) and the XP drivers can be used in W2K

I will buying ASUS K401LB which powered by Intel Broadwell platform, I want install Windows 2000 Pro just for fun and programming along with Windows 10 Pro on this laptop.

So any drivers works for Windows 2000? I've tried slipstreamed Fernando's modded driver (do you know that?) on W2K, but when setup initializing then the message said "iaStor.sys is corrupted" then setup fail. Or any helps to slipstream Fernando's driver to W2K with nLite?

And I want install Windows 10 x64 with UEFI so booting on "ASUS" logo will seamless, but how to install W2K in UEFI? I think MBR based VHD will works, any suggestion?

Last, I want the GeForce 940M driver for Windows XP. Do you know the driver truly support XP? So I can install in W2K with some efforts

And which anything required to make W2K runs optimally on Broadwell laptop?

Edited by northernosprey

21 hours ago, northernosprey said:

So Windows 2000 can run on modern machine as Windows XP (W2K and XP has same kernel) and the XP drivers can be used in W2K

Can they? :dubbio:

ALL of them? :w00t:

I don't want to put you down in any way, but you make it sound "easy" something that if not impossible will be very, very difficult.

About booting Windows 2000 in EFI, it will be interesting to see how you will manage it (VHD images and/or MBR style disks do not replace BIOS calls/services ... ).

I would say something like the (AFAIK never released, possibly only vapourware) Bambios would be needed:

http://www.osxbook.com/book/bonus/misc/legacyboot/
legacyboot.003-007.jpg

But I am unaware of the existence of similar projects :dubbio:

jaclaz

I'll paraphrase Jaclaz, just in case someone still had doubts.

W2k and Xp are different OSes. Their Application Program Interface differs: Kernel32.dll, Comdlg32.dll and the like offer over 100 entry points more at Xp than W2k. As soon as someone compiled with a less old Visual Studio and didn't check the option "compile for W2k", the executable calls these entry points and does fail on W2k.

Even if you successfully edit the OS-checking information in the driver installation files, the installing program fails, and if not, the driver itself fails. There are very few exceptions, and a driver failure can be painful for real, more so than an application failure.

There are more differences. For instance the stack of USB drivers has been reorganized at Xp. Your chances to port easily a Usb driver from Xp to W2k aren't very good.

So running W2k on hardware that has no official drivers is a BIG effort. Admirable work has been done by some fine forum members here for some pieces of hardware - but you have to check each piece of hardware individually for an existing ported driver, and this needs time. Understanding what ported driver to install and how takes time too. Don't hope to compress it below several weeks.

On 18/9/2016 at 5:10 AM, pointertovoid said:

I'll paraphrase Jaclaz, just in case someone still had doubts.

W2k and Xp are different OSes. Their Application Program Interface differs: Kernel32.dll, Comdlg32.dll and the like offer over 100 entry points more at Xp than W2k. As soon as someone compiled with a less old Visual Studio and didn't check the option "compile for W2k", the executable calls these entry points and does fail on W2k.

Even if you successfully edit the OS-checking information in the driver installation files, the installing program fails, and if not, the driver itself fails. There are very few exceptions, and a driver failure can be painful for real, more so than an application failure.

There are more differences. For instance the stack of USB drivers has been reorganized at Xp. Your chances to port easily a Usb driver from Xp to W2k aren't very good.

So running W2k on hardware that has no official drivers is a BIG effort. Admirable work has been done by some fine forum members here for some pieces of hardware - but you have to check each piece of hardware individually for an existing ported driver, and this needs time. Understanding what ported driver to install and how takes time too. Don't hope to compress it below several weeks.

The API changes happened same in Vista to 7. I know the API changed in XP, but I hope KernelEx will works (as it can run XP apps in 2000 due to extended kernel changes). However, how I can slipstream the AHCI driver properly without "file corrupt" error when setup?

On 17/9/2016 at 9:06 PM, Dibya said:

please can you share geforce driver?

But it was 2014 driver, meanwhile 940M released in March 2015. I'm doubt it will works, so I will use HD Graphics instead

On 17/9/2016 at 8:19 PM, jaclaz said:

Can they? :dubbio:

ALL of them? :w00t:

I don't want to put you down in any way, but you make it sound "easy" something that if not impossible will be very, very difficult.

About booting Windows 2000 in EFI, it will be interesting to see how you will manage it (VHD images and/or MBR style disks do not replace BIOS calls/services ... ).

I would say something like the (AFAIK never released, possibly only vapourware) Bambios would be needed:

http://www.osxbook.com/book/bonus/misc/legacyboot/
legacyboot.003-007.jpg

But I am unaware of the existence of similar projects :dubbio:

jaclaz

My throught about this was not easy, I hope this laptop has UEFI-CSM support so it can boot both UEFI and BIOS respectively.

Well if you use UEFI-CSM it is not UEFI but BIOS and everything is "normal", nothing actually like a "install W2K in UEFI", just a "plain" "install W2K in BIOS (provided by UEFI CSM)".

You might be interested in booting from a GPT style disk from BIOS:
http://reboot.pro/topic/19516-hack-bootmgr-to-boot-windows-in-bios-to-gpt/

without using a hybrid MBR, some of the techniques discussed there might work for a RAW (or "static" VHD), but it has to be seen if suitable drivers (Firadisk or WinVblock) actually work or can be made to work in 2K (or if there is some other driver, of the "miniport" kind that can be modified to hook the grub4dos mapping), otherwise your only possibility is that of a Hybrid MBR and it has to be seen (AFAIK noone tested it) if Windows 10 will "like" that or use a MBR style disk.

jaclaz

Okay, I tried experimenting installing W2K in Ivy Bridge platform (on my Core i3-3220 powered desktop and Celeron 1007U powered ASUS X200CA laptop). I've make the USB setup with WinSetupFromUSB (which include any F6 drivers), but when I start W2K text setup it gets 0x0000007B error even I using custom NTDETECT.COM file. But in XP works normally

Help me to make W2k setup runs correctly without BSOD? But XP setup runs as normal?!

Edited by northernosprey

20 minutes ago, northernosprey said:

Okay, I tried experimenting installing W2K in Ivy Bridge platform (on my Core i3-3220 powered desktop and Celeron 1007U powered ASUS X200CA laptop). I've make the USB setup with WinSetupFromUSB (which include any F6 drivers), but when I start W2K text setup it gets 0x0000007B error even I using custom NTDETECT.COM file. But in XP works normally

Help me to make W2k setup runs correctly without BSOD? But XP setup runs as normal?!

Well, you need to replace also the NTLDR with an XP one, if you use the XP "custom" NTDETECT.COM, I believe.

jaclaz

8 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Well, you need to replace also the NTLDR with an XP one, if you use the XP "custom" NTDETECT.COM, I believe.

jaclaz

Still showing 0x0000007B BSOD, won't work even in IDE mode

Edited by northernosprey

• 3 years later...