Windows 95 in VPC 2007?

Win95fan

Hello all,

Not sure who will see this first, if you remember me, I just wanted to apologise about the way I acted 2 years ago, I should have never swore, raged or anything, it's all my fault, and yes, you are all right, windows 95 does not run in VPC 2007, Finally, I should have had more patience.

2 hours ago, xpclient said:

It does not? Then how come I have Windows 95 with Microsoft Plus! running on my Windows XP host running Virtual PC 2007 SP1?

Well, it's not like you are the only around that made it, just in case see this:

and the following post by dawong.

I have no idea what the OP is referring to/is sorry about, however it is perfectly possible to run Windows 95 on VPC 2007, it is only a bit more tricky to install.

jaclaz

3 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Well, it's not like you are the only around that made it, just in case see this:

I never made any such claim. :P I only wondered why wouldn't it be possible since I already run it and had not read that other topic. :) 

I have the following KBs installed for Virtual PC 2007 SP1:

KB922897
KB958162
KB969856

Never had any issues installing any older Windows in it.

VPC.png

Just FYI, I was not the one that said it wasn't compatible, I thought it actually was, until I got a bunch of x0 errors, it was Tommy who said it wasn't compatible and recommended VPC 2004.

I'll admit, I've not tried those KB files, in addition to that, I don't get how win 3.1 works fine.

I can share the VHD if you want :) They're only 44 MB for Windows 3.1 (12.6 MB with 7-zip) and 22 MB for Windows 3.0 (4.27 MB 7z). Windows 3.1 works with 386 Enhanced Protected mode with the S3 Trio driver and in Standard/286 Mode with the VGA driver. Even Windows 3.0 works including its Real Mode. I just tried VPC 2007 SP1 on my Windows 7 and then tried all these VMs. Btw VPC 2007 can be installed along side Windows Virtual PC (http://nookkin.com/articles/how-tos-and-guides/run-virtual-pc-2007-and-windows-virtual-pc-on-the-same-machine.ndoc), but you can only run one at a time. Also Windows Me boots insanely fast compared to any other Windows. :D:D:lol:

Edited by xpclient

13 minutes ago, Win95fan said:

I'll admit, I've not tried those KB files, in addition to that, I don't get how win 3.1 works fine.

Windows 3.1x is "essentially"  a (16 bit) GUI shell for DOS, it can run on *almost any* hardware (or if you prefer it ships with very generic drivers), Windows 9x (while being also "basically" a shell for DOS, but 32 bit :w00t::ph34r: [1]) *needs* a set of "more specialized" drivers, if these are not installed (and suitable drivers for the emulated hardware are not present in the Windows 95 install CD) several issues may happen, see the given post AND links in it:

http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2005/02/15/372846.aspx

It is not unlike what people experience today when attempting to install old Operating Systems on "too new" hardware, the OS might not boot, this or that device may not function at all or not function properly, conflicts may arise, etc.

@xpclient
Just so you know, the screenshot you posted shows (textual)  "Windows 95 Not running" ;).

:lol:

jaclaz

[1] ... and now the flamewar on whether Windows 95 is an Operating System or a just a 32 bit shell for dos may begin ... :whistle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_95#Dependence_on_MS-DOS

3 hours ago, xpclient said:

I can share the VHD if you want :) They're only 44 MB for Windows 3.1 (12.6 MB with 7-zip) and 22 MB for Windows 3.0 (4.27 MB 7z). Windows 3.1 works with 386 Enhanced Protected mode with the S3 Trio driver and in Standard/286 Mode with the VGA driver. Even Windows 3.0 works including its Real Mode. I just tried VPC 2007 SP1 on my Windows 7 and then tried all these VMs. Btw VPC 2007 can be installed along side Windows Virtual PC (http://nookkin.com/articles/how-tos-and-guides/run-virtual-pc-2007-and-windows-virtual-pc-on-the-same-machine.ndoc), but you can only run one at a time. Also Windows Me boots insanely fast compared to any other Windows. :D:D:lol:

It's fine, I've already got them, but thanks for the offer :)

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 0:48 PM, Win95fan said:

Just FYI, I was not the one that said it wasn't compatible, I thought it actually was, until I got a bunch of x0 errors, it was Tommy who said it wasn't compatible and recommended VPC 2004.

It's been a while ago since I've even played around with Virtual PC but it seemed to me that I did try Windows 95 on 2007 and even if I got past the installer, something didn't work right. I know Windows NT 4.0 works fine on 2007 though, at least, I'm pretty sure it did, but either way it's a totally different beast. :) But I do remember trying VPC 2004 for a certain incompatibility but I was trying out all sorts of OSes like WinNT 3.5 and the like.

I do have a problem getting Windows 95 to shut down properly in VPC. Windows NT 4.0, 98, 98 SE, Me, 2000 - all shut down properly but 95 doesn't. It hangs even if I restart to DOS. Windows 3.0 and 3.1 have no hanging issues exiting to DOS. I've installed hotfixes that I can think of (thanks to Mdgx) and am running OEM Service Release 2.5 (4.0.950 C). Tried disabling APM too. Any one know why it doesn't cleanly shut down?

Edited by xpclient

On sabato 1 ottobre 2016 at 0:36 PM, xpclient said:

I do have a problem getting Windows 95 to shut down properly in VPC. Windows NT 4.0, 98, 98 SE, Me, 2000 - all shut down properly but 95 doesn't. It hangs even if I restart to DOS. Windows 3.0 and 3.1 have no hanging issues exiting to DOS. I've installed hotfixes that I can think of (thanks to Mdgx) and am running OEM Service Release 2.5 (4.0.950 C). Tried disabling APM too. Any one know why it doesn't cleanly shut down?

Did you go through the "normal" troubleshooting and found nothing?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/145926

http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz