[SOLVED] Microsoft Loopback Adapter won't install!

ppgrainbow

Hello again!

I've been trying to re-install the Microsoft Loopback Adapter from the Add New Hardware section, but for some reason, I end up getting this message according to this screenshot:

Loopback.png

I have tried to follow instructions from this page on how to fix this issue, but it hasn't worked.

One user had reported that the issue was caused by security templates.

Any ideas how to fix this issue?

Edited by ppgrainbow

Update 1: tried to do the following:

Delete the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\Config

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Adapters\ {<var>GUID</var>}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{<var>GUID</var>}

I also completely uninstalled the Linksys WMP54 v4.1 driver (including deleting the driver software for the device) and rebooted.

Reinstalled the Linksys WMP54 v4.1 driver and got this error:

Cannot load the device driver for this hardware. the driver may be corrupted or missing (code 39).

I had to do a System Restore to revert the damage. And still the Loopback Adapter won't install.

Isn't there a better way to fix the problem that causes the Microsoft Loopback Adapter to not install? I'm wondering if it has to do with one of the security permission issues or something...

Update 2: Here are the logs on why the Loopback Adapter failed to install:

1. setupapi.app.log

2. setupapi.dev.log

Update 3:After going through a lot of frustration, I found that in the setupapi.dev.log that the Add Hardware setup tried to copy the loop.sys file from the windows\inf sub-directory and it obviously wasn't even there.

The loop.sys file was originally found in C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_netloop.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_5d1a50f205e9484a sub-directory. I had to copy to the C:\Windows\inf sub-directory. After that I proceeded by installing the Microosft Loopback Adapter from the Add New Hardware section and it worked. :)

Edited by ppgrainbow