PC Nightmare!!

JorgeA

I woke up early this morning, so rattled that I couldn't get back to sleep.

Dreamed that I was happily working away at my computer, when all of a sudden the familiar Word 2007 blue interface starts changing into various colors for no apparent reason. Huh?

Next, I notice that the name of the program is changing from MS Word to something like "Vert-Word." WTH??

Panicking, I try opening other programs, and they are all undergoing the same transformation. Excel becomes "Vert-Excel" and so on.

At this point, I discover that I can no longer get into my document files, as they are all getting encrypted.

In the dream, I think to myself, "Great, for all the good my overlapping and redundant security software has done!!!"

Finally, a message in thick black lettering over a red and purple background comes into view on the monitor: "Your files are being encrypted..." and the message trails off as I'm shocked out my slumber after barely 5 hours of sleep. Spent the whole day in a twilight state of :boring::zzz: as a result.

Thanks, dream hackers...

Maybe I need a vacation.

--JorgeA

That encryption was being done by the new security patch, released from Windows Update, by Microsoft. They figured out that the only way to keep your PC safe, when you are running an old version of Windows, is to lock it from everything, even the user :D

After the encryption is done, the only think you will be able to see is this horrifying image on boot:

450_1000.jpg

And then... you wake up! (that was some good creepypasta!)