WinFLP/POSready '09 and Transmeta Crusoe CPUs...

Sudos

I have a Fujitsu Lifebook P2110 ultraportable from around 2002-ish. it's based around a Crusoe TM5800 867MHz, 256MB of PC133 (and a MicroDIMM slot for another 256 stick, very expensive) and an 80GB WD WD800BEVE drive (plus two batteries.) GPU is based around a PCI-connected Rage Mobility P with 8MB of VRAM. the P2120 model of this machine has the same CPU but I believe at either 867 or 1GHz, and a Mobility Radeon (7000).

XP SP3 runs absolutely wonderful on this machine, for its age, and slowness (akin to an early PII). However, when I try to install Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs on this machine, it gets through set-up, and at the bootsplash right before it's supposed to start doing configuration through the First Boot Agent, the machine bluescreens. Going through setup again and pressing F7 to disable ACPI also does nothing. in a similar attempt, I've also tried using a different machine as an installer and then forcing drivers so to get a working install made correctly for the machine, and it still bluescreens. I'm not sure if this machine is just incapable of using the kernel that FLP comes with, and since I've not been able to find out if POSready 09 comes with the same kernel or not, I've been sticking to just normal XP on this thing.

I know exactly how FLP should perform on this machine, having done an install on a Pentium II 233/256M/40GB box back around 2009 and video documented the results. I've been toying with the idea of picking up one of the sightly more standardized HP Thin Clients which make use of the same CPU but with DDR RAM so to see if the problem is with the machine or the CPU itself. is there anyone out there that still has a thin client, all-in-one or laptop with a Transmeta Crusoe that'd be willing to do a test install of WinFLP or POSready 09 to see if it's possible at the very least? All Google-Fu queries turn up nil, and I don't know if it's just me or if it's just not in the design.

transmetaspeccy.PNG

I used to have a Fujitsu Siemens Futro (220 if I recall correctly) with a Transmeta 5800 and it worked nicely with XP (SP2 for the record).

The POSREADY 2009 IS EXACTLY the same as a "normal" XP, so no issues there that I can see, JFYI:

WinFLP may be another thing. :dubbio:

Which EXACT, SPECIFIC BSOD STOP ERROR do you get with WinFLP?

Very likely it is just a matter of a missing driver (that should be possible to "add" to the install).

jaclaz

15 hours ago, jaclaz said:

I used to have a Fujitsu Siemens Futro (220 if I recall correctly) with a Transmeta 5800 and it worked nicely with XP (SP2 for the record).

The POSREADY 2009 IS EXACTLY the same as a "normal" XP, so no issues there that I can see, JFYI:

WinFLP may be another thing. :dubbio:

Which EXACT, SPECIFIC BSOD STOP ERROR do you get with WinFLP?

Very likely it is just a matter of a missing driver (that should be possible to "add" to the install).

jaclaz

Oh, I was wrong, it doesn't bluescreen, it just hangs at the bootsplash as it's fading in. I made a youtube video to document exactly what happens. I'm suspecting the Transmeta CPU driver is nonexistent. Processr.sys does exist, however, and looking up people installing POSready into a VM from some time ago, safemode booting and deleting both the transmeta.sys and the aforementioned processr.sys was something needed to be done before booting in a VM instance was able to work properly for some strange reason, so I don't know what the linkage there is.

https://youtu.be/UT-qKQkov_8

Hopefully that sheds some light on what happens. I used a 2.2GB drive I had flopping about from a dead Thinkpad of some manner, but this happens with others I've tried in the past. same deal.

I downloaded the POSready trial ISO to check that out, to see if that works. but as others seem to have had luck, I'm expecting that to work normally like a vanilla XP install.

Edited by Sudos

The "last loaded driver Mup.sys" hang suggests an issue with the install, that error is typycal of issues with the filesystem, but of course it can also be actually a driver issue.

Can you boot a PE of some kind on that machine? (or load the recovery console?)

The first thing to do in these cases is usually a chkdsk.

This is (thanks Wayback Machine) a good page that lists "common" causes:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160407090809/http://www.aitechsolutions.net/mupdotsysXPhang.html

The processr.sys is anyway not the issue, at least in a backup I have of the Futro it is the same file as the "normal" XP SP2 one, like the one in WinFlp.

jaclaz

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

The "last loaded driver Mup.sys" hang suggests an issue with the install, that error is typycal of issues with the filesystem, but of course it can also be actually a driver issue.

Can you boot a PE of some kind on that machine? (or load the recovery console?)

The first thing to do in these cases is usually a chkdsk.

This is (thanks Wayback Machine) a good page that lists "common" causes:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160407090809/http://www.aitechsolutions.net/mupdotsysXPhang.html

The processr.sys is anyway not the issue, at least in a backup I have of the Futro it is the same file as the "normal" XP SP2 one, like the one in WinFlp.

jaclaz

That's just it, on ANY hard drive shoved in the thing, it just hangs like that if I try to install FLP. the mup.sys hang is prevalent across all drives tried, even an SD card in a CF adapter in a 2.5" adapter just for the giggles of trying. the ISO is good, md5 checks out where applicable, as are the drives used... processr.sys wouldn't be the issue per-se, it has to be the lack of the transmeta.sys file, possibly. I've confirmed at the very least that the transmeta.sys file is nowhere to be seen anywhere on this disc, and that's troubling. As for why it doesn't exist, probably because Microsoft didn't see the Transmeta Crusoe or Efficeon CPUs to be in anything that a "corporate partner" would have so many of in service that they needed to include it.

I know for a fact I can shove some files from the existing, and completely working XP install onto a CD to give that a shot while in the FLP setup command prompt... I forget if said system has access to flash drives during the setup process, but I'll try that first and a CD later, when I'm not feigning sleep. that by itself just might work. I'll try first by just adding the files, but if there's some file I need to diddle with to make the system aware it needs to parse transmeta.sys at boot time as well, then I'm all ears.

in other related happenings, I found some old mailing list archives from around 2008 of FLP and Transmeta CPUs being talked about on Sunhelp in regards to a Sony Picturebook, but no verification of installation.

transmeta.sys? :w00t:

Maybe crusoe.sys (which is alright in WinFlp and is referenced fine in cpu.inf).

I suspect that the issue may be connected with /something else* or with the "strange" way WinFlp is installed.

jaclaz