XP growing hair - need a barber - how to cut back msconfig-load-everything

glnz

Dave-H - Thanks for the link to Nirsoft's bluescreenview.  It let me see that there WAS a cause to the latest BSOD - namely mbam.sys with a STOP 0x00000019.  Yes, it was running in the tray (and I have since UNchecked it as a startup item, so it's not running now).

Should I upload here anything from bluescreenview?  Does it reveal confidential info?

Drugwash - I might try AFT later.

By the way, so far almost 24 hours no BSOD and no freeze when I try to access using Teamviewer (which I'm doing now).

Thanks.

Glad you found BlueScreenView useful, Nirsoft's programs are always good, I've got several of them and I'm always amazed that they're free!
AFAIK it doesn't collect any personal information.
:)

0x00000019 should be "Bad Pool Header", it is usually connected to programs (or drivers) loading into/scanning memory (Mbam, being an antimalware very likely does this) and leaving the system used memory in an inconsistent state (usually this happens because the process conflicts with *something* else, like - say - a newly installed driver), but it can be also due to "strangely faulty" RAM, so it is a good thing that you checked it and it came out as fine :).

jaclaz

EDITED - FOUND REPORTS

For the second time this past week, an Avast Boot-Time scan has some odd error messages but its "Scan History" says there were NO bad files.

See my post on the Avast forum at https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=192475.0  .  (<-- You might have to try the link twice to get to my thread.)

Any thought whether the error messages are linked to the freezes the last two months and my two BSODs?  (The Boot-Time scan meant I rebooted, but still no new BSODs or freezes last 48 hours.)

Edited by glnz

11 hours ago, dencorso said:

Unless your machine gives you a bona-fide BSOD in the next 72h, I'll just think it was just a glitch in the matrix.
This is the most important ultra-high-level troubleshooting technique: it's called ostrich algorithm...

More than the ostrich algorithm (which is usually a very good approach, BTW), there is here the possibility (at least according to Ockham Razor ;)) that simply too many observations are changing the data:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_effect_(physics)

It is more a state of mind than something objectively measurable, in a nutshell, if it works, it works (and just leave it working as is or "if it ain't broke, don't fix it").

jaclaz

At three years old the seagate is close to end of warranty for sure.

I suggest you get a new hard drive and using drivexml, clone everything to the new hard drive.

Leave the old one alone after you unplug it [but do not remove it from your computer] an keep it as a back up of sorts.

Now using only the new hard drive, see if you get any BSOD's. If you do then it is not bad sectors etc.

Secondly. This will also make sure you have a back up of everything [the old drive] so that NOTHING is losr while you fiddle with things on the new drive.

If everything goes south can you afford to lose all your info on your hard drive?

I didn't think so.

Also a new hard drive is a small price to pay for peace of mind. :)

I hope this helps :)

1 hour ago, Sherylinrm said:

At three years old the seagate is close to end of warranty for sure.

This reminds me that both my TV and car are approaching end of warranty ... :w00t::ph34r: , though  - just like Seagate - the Warranty doesn't cover data anyway.

For the record, and just in case, you cannot really-really "clone" a hard disk with drive(image)xml alone, you need also *something else* to take care of the MBR (and of the "hidden sectors") or you will need to rebuild at least the MBR and the Disk Signature:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=22984

jaclaz

Sherylinrm and jaclaz - unfortunately, the XP machine with the Seagate HD-SSD glitched again yesterday - it froze.  (Did not see whether it was also a BSOD - probably not because BlueScreenView doesn't show anything from yesterday.)

I think you're right about the Hard Drive.  Too bad, as the machine's original Western Digital Velociraptor HD was nice (10,000 RPM).

Since this HD is a hybrid HD-SSD, will cloning software like Aomei Backupper or Macrium Reflect have any difficulty "reading" everything on the drive and then "restoring" to a normal (NON-hybrid) HD?

By the way, when I first "backed up" from the Velociraptor and "restored" into this Seagate a year ago using Aomei, I needed to recreate its bootability using my Macrium CD - it wasn't booting.  But that went well.

One last question - do you think it might be TeamViewer causing my HD to freeze?  Is it possible that the latest versions of TV don't like XP?

Edited by glnz