Daaaaaah Da Daah Dum! Pale Moon Terminates Support More Quickly Than You First Thought

Jody Thornton

Good riddance!

When they decided against supporting MP4 (H.264 + AAC) HTML5 video, that was the deal breaker for me.

I've moved over to FF from that time on, and have no regrets whatsoever, really.

They've been so uncomfortable about supporting XP, it's surprising they've kept on board for so long...
and nobody at all should stay against their will, anyway.

Yeah, I think that's an artificial problem, whose solution involves changing a setting or two within FF's about:config page so that it'll download and install the appropriate component to support H.264/HTML5.

c

1 hour ago, JodyT said:

Well wait dencorso.  I thought it was an OS limitation for HTML5 video, because Twitter videos don't work on Firefox within XP either.  Am I missing something?

I didn't think that limitation was Pale Moon specific.  :(

Sure you are! Follow the instructions on the 1st post of this sticky: Enable MP4 (H.264 + AAC) HTML5 video in Firefox on Windows XP without Flash and your Firefox will show those types of video, all right! And, no, there's no need to disable Flash, too... (I kept it working, too... the more, the merrier, right?).

It appears that the plugin though follows Firefox's new Gecko plugin structure, and is not a XUL plugin, so it's not compatible with Pale Moon.  So I can accept that.

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=11220

Still, they should have left Pale Moon supporting XP for the remainder of v26x's life.  Stopping at 27, perfectly acceptable.  I'm surprised no one on Pale Moon's forum flipped out.

37 minutes ago, JodyT said:

It appears that the plugin though follows Firefox's new Gecko plugin structure, and is not a XUL plugin, so it's not compatible with Pale Moon.  So I can accept that.

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=11220

Still, they should have left Pale Moon supporting XP for the remainder of v26x's life.  Stopping at 27, perfectly acceptable.  I'm surprised no one on Pale Moon's forum flipped out.

Why would anyone even bother to go there? Apparently one can be branded a "troll" simply for disagreeing with the attitude or outlook of the prevailing majority. Good riddance.

On 11/20/2016 at 10:33 PM, JodyT said:

Still, they should have left Pale Moon supporting XP for the remainder of v26x's life.  Stopping at 27, perfectly acceptable.

Who says they didn't?
26.5.0 is the current version, all right, but who said there should be any further 26.x.x version, before they release 27.0.0?
AFAICS, they might have fulfilled their promise to the letter... :dubbio:

5 hours ago, dencorso said:

Who says they didn't?
26.5.0 is the current version, all right, but who said there should be any further 26.x.x version, before they release 27.0.0?
AFAICS, they might have fulfilled their promise to the letter... :dubbio:

But then why the announcement?  It was already known than v27 was a no show.  Unless they're just getting users to prepare for v27, but that's not how it sounded.

On 11/22/2016 at 6:16 AM, JodyT said:

Unless they're just getting users to prepare for v27, but that's not how it sounded.

Well, to me it sounded precisely like that... Moonchild's post opens with:

With version 27 just around the corner [...]

It can be construed as a reminder to XP users to disable automatic updates, just to avoid being shut out suddenly, and nothing more. My 2 ¢, of course. But it may turn out my reading is correct... let's wait and see. :)