Windows Update causing MAC OS Network Shares Failure

jonah8208

Hi

For those interested running Windows 10 and iMACs with El Capitan or Sierra (only 2 flavours I can comment on).

My Win10 PC which happens to serve all my media around my home network was auto updated on 9/11/16. After which connecting to from Win10 to my iMACs was impossible constantly giving an incorrect credentials error on Win10. Took me a few days to track this down it turns out..........

Mac OS only responds to LAN network authentication level 2 requests from Windows. In Windows 10 this is turned off by default, I knew this and had previously set Windows 10 to Send NTLMv2 responses only to ensure that shared MAC folders were available to Win10 machines. The update on 9/11/16 reset this to default therby borking the shares and causing me several hours of frustrating digging about in network settings on Win10 and Mac OS.

If you have Win10 / Mac OS related sharing problems suddenly this is the fix.

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Local Policies > Security Options > "Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication Level" > ensure this is set to "Send NTLMv2 responses only"

Not sure exactly which of the three security updates for November I go reset my Network Security setting but one of them sure did. As a result of this and the aggravation caused I have disabled the Windows Update Service in services.msc I am fed up with windows updates screwing up perfectly good systems. I have better things to do than troubleshoot obscure windows settings that are reset by updates.

hth

Jonah

Thanks for posting this, Jonah.

In a bigger picture sense, that Microsoft has chosen to cross the line of resetting user preferences to whatever they like whenever they like really needs to keep being brought up and criticized until they are beaten back over that line!

I'm sure they justify this resetting of preferences as a Windows As A Service necessity, but that's flawed - it just indicates their idea of what Windows should be is oversimplified - and could even be considered anti-competitive in this case!

A single Windows configuration that fits all WITHOUT the configurability is clearly an impossibility.  That's why the configuration options were put in there in the first place!

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Thanks Noel

I am of the opinion that this reset was lazy default updates that reset user configs as a matter of course because although they will cause problems for a small minority of power users the default reset will fix / protect a majority of users from their own fiddling about or possibly from Malware reseting security options. It was however a lot easier to fix this sort of thing when updates were manual and not forced and I had a clue what caused the problem in the first place. Hence counter to what Microsoft have tried to achieve by forced updated I have now deliberately stopped Win10 from updating. I will do it every 6 months or so if necessary and rely on my experience and knowledge to keep it secure especially as my Win10 machine is no longer a production machine but a glorified NAS box. I really despair of Microsoft and the direction they have taken with Windows 10 Pro they seem to be trying to get rid of all power users by forcing us to use Enterprise or put up with their interference. A lot of people on here have said (including yourself) words to the effect that they are getting tired of fighting Microsoft for control of their own PCs, I think I lost the will to keep struggling with it 2 years ago now. Let me know when you finally give it up 8-)

That long-interval, only-when-absolutely-necessary update check strategy is EXACTLY what I have been doing with Win 7 and 8.1.  I only have 10 on a VM for testing.  It's not ready to power my hardware, and won't be as long as Microsoft continues down these paths.

-Noel

If there is one thing the whole Win10 thing has done it's made me and I'm sure many others more aware of what MS have been doing all these years, and with most of the opsec improvements many are making, I question the need for so many restraints and restrictions and updates.

Windows has added so much convenience and 'ease' that they've made it insecure, now they're trying to put the genie back in the bottle with user restrictions.

The irony being the system is now just as complex for an end user to set up, and no more 'safe' than it was before.

The end result is you may as well just understand firewalls, setting up networks, and all that stuff the correct way, and then turn all the MS crap off!