Installation of driver in windows 10 through WinPE

arunraja

Hi all,

I have to install driver in windows 10 Operating System through WinPE(WinPE-10).I have windows 10 os in laptop.I have booted WinPE from USB device.I have tried drvload [inf-path],this will install the driver in WinPE environment only.But my intention is to run my driver files in WinPE environment and that driver should be instalIed in windows 10.That is drivers should be install in windows 10 not in winPE.So if i open windows 10,all driver files should be available there and my device also have to work properly.

Please anyone text me the solution.

Thanks in advance. 

In other words, you want an offline driver installer.

AFAIK there is no one-size-fits-all solution, each driver - particularly the ones senselessly packed into MSI's or other installer packages - won't be usable/installable offline but also a number of drivers needing the creation of a device will have issues, anyway some can (could - have not used them since some time and definitely not on Windows 10) be found here:
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/3dp-net-auto-detects-and-installs-network-adapter-driver/

As often happens, a question comes out, WHAT (exactly) is the reason why you want to install the drivers offline (as opposed to normally install them online)?

jaclaz

Thanks Jaclaz..

But I'm not trying with internet online/offline.My intention is to install driver in windows 10 through WinPE.If i install driver files in WinPE,the files should be installed on Windows 10 platform(now windows 10 off and i'm having only WinPE).And also i can't able to use tools that you have suggested me in WinPE environment.Even in WinPE we can't able to see GUI.

Edited by arunraja

jaclaz did not mean with internet online/offline. He meant "non-booted" Windows 10 (= offline) because the machine would be running WinPE (= WinPE would be the online OS during the driver install). He did understand what you say you want perfectly, although he possibly did not imagine you want to use a bare-bones plain-vanilla PE, when there are much more powerful alternatives available nowadays.  What he asked is what do you need to accomplish? How do you think you ought to install the drivers he understood clearly. Question is: but... why?

Out of sheer curiosity, what happens in your WinPE if you press ALT+ENTER?

In all the PE's I have ever seen, this will toggle the cmd.exe from full screen to window (just to show how there is a graphical subsystem alright in the PE).

As a matter of fact most PE's - exception made for the basic MS WinPE made from WAIK, but including the PE that is used to install Windows (boot.wim) do use this (or that) GUI tool.

jaclaz

Thanks all,

Sorry for late reply.

Is there any GUI tool available for this purpose?.Can anyone please explain me clearly?

And my driver is for network device.

Edited by arunraja

58 minutes ago, arunraja said:

Is there any GUI tool available for this purpose?. Can anyone please explain [it to] me clearly?

No. There is not. There never was any such tool.

58 minutes ago, arunraja said:

And my driver is for network device.

It does not matter. There never was any such tool for whatever type of driver.

===========

Now on to the questions we posed but you did not answer:

1st question:

On 12/3/2016 at 11:35 AM, jaclaz said:

what happens in your WinPE if you press ALT+ENTER?

2nd question:

On 12/3/2016 at 4:49 AM, dencorso said:

what do you need to accomplish?

3rd question:

Why are you sure you must install an aditional driver to an unbooted Windows 10?

If i enter ALT+ENTER,it just showing cmd.exe as full screen.Actually i have to do two things with WinPE.

1.If any operating system got crashed because of my driver,i have to diagnosis that problem.That is i can't able to boot the OS if it crashed.For that i have to use winPE to solve crashing issue.

2.And i have to install driver in offline Windows OS.

These two are our customer requirements.

4 hours ago, arunraja said:

If i enter ALT+ENTER,it just showing cmd.exe as full screen.Actually i have to do two things with WinPE.

Good, so, if it switches to full screen, it means that before it was a window, i.e. you have a GUI subsystem fine.

Now, you have this issue for a single, specific "your" driver, while there is no one-size-fits-all tool to install a driver offline, GUI or command line, it is entirely possible to script an offline installer for a specific driver, particularly if it is "your" driver and you already developed for it the .inf (or whatever method of install you already use for normal, "online" install).

Installing a driver is made essentially of two or three steps:

1) Copying the file(s) from source to destination
2) Set the appropriate Registry keys and entries
3) Optionally set an external preferences/configuration file

#1 and #3 are so basic that they need not any particular advice, you can obtain #2 by either using "normal" Registry tools on a "mounted" set of Registry hives:

https://4sysops.com/archives/regedit-as-offline-registry-editor/

or you can use an offline Registry editor:

http://reboot.pro/topic/11212-offline-registry-library/
http://reboot.pro/topic/11312-offline-registry/

it has to be tested if the latter works on Windows 10 (or MS has an updated .dll, etc.)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

10 hours ago, arunraja said:

2.And i have to install driver in offline Windows OS.

Can you clarify the request? 
Do you like to add drivers? Do you like to replace active drivers?

Can you name some examples? Which hardware do you use and which drivers are missing?

Dism can add drivers to a offline Windows.

But the drivers are not installed fully.
Boot critical drivers are available at next boot.
Windows may install non boot criticical drivers at next  boot.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825070.aspx

Edited by cdob

Thanks jaclaz,cdob.

I did that installation successfully.And i have another requirement is,by using WinPE OS i have to do dignosis also.That is if offline OS is getting any issue like crash or rebooting problem, we have to fix that from WinPE disgnostic tool or diagnosis package.

Please anyone text me.

Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, arunraja said:

Thanks jaclaz,cdob.

I did that installation successfully.

HOW exactly?

(it might be useful to know for other members having your same or similar issue).

IF someone managed to find a way to diagnose an offline system and automagically fix it (for next boot) from a PE he/she would not be here on the Forums, but rather sunbathing on the deck of his/her new yacht. ;)

The most you can do from a PE is to read the events logs of the offline system, but from that to have an actual diagnosis and from the diagnosis applying the proper remedy there is a huge leap.

In most cases the events logs are not anyway enough, you need to attempt rebooting the system creating a "crash dump", and then you need to analyze the crashdump (something that very few people I know can do properly and successfully) and usually attempt several tries anyway or you need to trace the booting (examples):

again not something easy-peasy.

jaclaz