Delete folder/files - access denied

andwan0

My PC originally came with a normal SATA HD with Windows 7 installed.

Then I got an SSD and did a fresh installation of Windows 7 on the SSD.

The SSD is labeled C: while SATA HD is D:\

Now I am trying to delete the SATA's folders:

Program Files\

Program Files (x86)\

ProgramData\

Windows\

but it won't let me. I've tried Unlocker program, and even force delete command-prompt in Adminstrator-mode.

I even booted up in SAFE-MODE and it still says "Access Denied".

I've compared the C:\ with the corresponding D:\ folders and noted that the files already exist in C:\...

BUT Program Files\ is newer on C:\

WHILST the other 3 folders, D:\ seems newer.

If Windows 7 still uses folders/files from SATA D:\ (even though I did a fresh installation in C:\..... how can I transfer them to C:\ and get them deleted from D:?

PS: I could just take the SATA D:\ out and see what happens

This is a case of Windows being dumb. It thinks those folders are in use, or protected, while booted, even though they are not the actual folders it is using. One of my computers has my old XP hard drive in it and the same thing happens. I just leave it be. Storage is cheap and I don't need to worry about the space that is being taken up on that drive.

You may even still be able to open some of the programs on the old drive without reinstalling. Try it out. Some programs won't. For example, some versions of Office from another drive won't open.

If you wanted to remove those folders, disconnect your SSD, then boot your computer using a WinPE drive. Then you can format the drive no problem. I would first see if your computer can boot with just the SSD connected, just to make sure your OS isn't using the old drive for anything.