No youtube for Win9x/ME users without KernelEX anymore now?

schwups

Since whe are here  in the "Working Web Browsers on Windows 9x" -section and its getting a bit off-topic, I'd like to ask (youtube was mentioned),

did anyone of you get HTML5 to work properly on youtube with Windows 98SE or Windows ME?

I use the Flash Player all the time, since its in really slow-motion if HTML5 is ever used.  It may have to to, that I only have 1 Ghz single-core, 256  mb ram, 100 Mbps Network card and an integrated graphics cards, which according to bios has either 32 or 64 MB. However: Anybody had good experience using HTML5 for video playback ? And if yes: Which graphics cards do you use for it?

I dont need 720p or 480p quality, Im good with 360p and 240p on Windows 98SE. Just curious if HTML5 performs better for someone, since I read it dependant on the graphics card and GPU and other sources claimed it has to do with the Network card(which might be true for smartphones with the same processing power, integrated Gpu and more ram) but sure not for all desktop pcs.

Edited by LoneCrusader
moved to more relevant thread

Why you do not remain in "No youtube for Win9x/ME users without KernelEX anymore now?"?

I guess you will have no success with your abovementioned hardware and HTML5 playback.

I already said: "Yes, but probably hardware dependent. Usually the playback works smoothly on my G31, G41 and i915 machines. It is very poor (jerky video), on my older and weaker VIA P4M266A, Pentium4 Northwood, NV5900XT (AGP), 1GB RAM system."

My Hardware:

First machine:  Intel G31/ CPU Wolfsdale Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (SSE4.1) (of course only one core)/ 2GB RAM DDR2 800 Dual Channel/ graphics - Nvidia 7900GS

2. Intel G41/ CPU Intel Celeron 440 (SSSE3)/ 2GB RAM DDR2 800  Dual Channel/ graphics - Nvidia 7800GT

3. Intel i915/ CPU Intel Prescott 630 3GHz (SSE3)/  1GB RAM DDR 400  Dual Channel/  graphics - Nvidia 7800GT 

jerky video:  VIA P4M266A/  Pentium4 Northwood 2,4GHz (SSE2)/  1GB RAM DDR 266/  NV5900XT (AGP - the chipset supports only 4x)

On youtube help they say Internet connection must be 500+ kbps.:)

Edited by LoneCrusader
moved to more relevant thread

On 19.5.2017 at 9:35 PM, schwups said:

I already said: "Yes, but probably hardware dependent. Usually the playback works smoothly on my G31, G41 and i915 machines. It is very poor (jerky video), on my older and weaker VIA P4M266A, Pentium4 Northwood, NV5900XT (AGP), 1GB RAM system."

My Hardware:

First machine:  Intel G31/ CPU Wolfsdale Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (SSE4.1) (of course only one core)/ 2GB RAM DDR2 800 Dual Channel/ graphics - Nvidia 7900GS

2. Intel G41/ CPU Intel Celeron 440 (SSSE3)/ 2GB RAM DDR2 800  Dual Channel/ graphics - Nvidia 7800GT

3. Intel i915/ CPU Intel Prescott 630 3GHz (SSE3)/  1GB RAM DDR 400  Dual Channel/  graphics - Nvidia 7800GT 

jerky video:  VIA P4M266A/  Pentium4 Northwood 2,4GHz (SSE2)/  1GB RAM DDR 266/  NV5900XT (AGP - the chipset supports only 4x)

Just quoting partly because of better overview.

So youtube did assumably perform better on machines one,two, three.

Besides the processing power, Id think it depends also on the DirectX/OpenGL version the graphics card can handle.

Somewhere I read that, OpenGL ES and WebGL are related.

"OpenGL ES is based roughly on OpenGL 2.0" (Wikipedia)

And since WebGL 1.0 is based on OpenGL ES 2.0 this could in fact mean it requires a graphics card that supports atleast "OpenGL 2.0" for rudimentary HTML5 standard support  like HTML5 Canvas and other stuff. I researched this two months ago, but ofcourse theres no assurance this is the way it is.

Im not an Expert on all the features a graphics card and GPU can offer, but sure the graphics cards Nvidia7800GT/7900GS are better suited for youtube with html5 than mine and offcourse the 5900XT (even though its better than what I have onboard) you mentioned. The extra RAM and processing power also are benefical.

I got a quite good internet connection, Windows 98SE doesnt get the full bandwith, but still 2MB/s (16Mbps) are possible at a time. So I think youtube is just overestimating the connection, but in other situations it might be a factor.

Good news however that HTML5 seems not to be incompatible with Windows 98SE itself thanks to available HTML5 support browsers, but rather a question of Hardware. 

Thanks for your feedback!

Edited by winxpi
completeness

Youtube/ HTML5 runs very well on the machines one, two, three, of course with 360p only, until I e.g. call a new tab or start a program. This leads to interruptions. My used Nvidia drivers 82.16 and 82.69 support OpenGL 2.0.1, but not OpenGL ES, 2.1 or newer.

has anyone actually tested and confirmed youtube working on 98SE? i just tested it yesterday on firefox 3.5.19 with flash 11, pentium m 780, 1 GB ram, geforce fx go 1400, i typed "&nohtml5=1" at the end of the video web address and it wouldn't work like it used to a few weeks back when i last tested. have they changed another thing in the web browser to prevent us 98SE users from getting youtube to work? i also noticed firefox 3.5.19 crashing and asking to see if i wanted to disable flash, adobe reader and some other options, it was running slow and unresponsive at the time i tested yesterday for some reason, maybe it's ff 3.5.19 specifically and perhaps firefox 9.0 would work better? reason i use 3.5.19 specifically is because it is the newest or one of the newest web browsers that still supports java and i've been longing to keep that because if there are many websites that require it somehow, then it would definitely help obviously, although if there really is much of no use for it, i may just remove java completely from my archived 98SE contents and just add in a newer web browser. 

anyone know what sites or things really require or use java? i know pingtest.net asks for it, speedtest.net only needs flash player i think. 

15 hours ago, cov3rt said:

has anyone actually tested and confirmed youtube working on 98SE? i just tested it yesterday on firefox 3.5.19 with flash 11, pentium m 780, 1 GB ram, geforce fx go 1400, i typed "&nohtml5=1" at the end of the video web address and it wouldn't work like it used to a few weeks back when i last tested. have they changed another thing in the web browser to prevent us 98SE users from getting youtube to work?

Apparently "&nohtml5=1" doesn't work anymore. I tried to run the FlashPlayer on youtube in Opera 10.63, 11.64, 12.02, Firefox 3.6.28, 9.0.1.

But Flash still runs, if I take the gsstreamer folder out of the Opera program folder, what Commodore found out.

It's been a while I didn't bother trying watching vids on youtube even with Flash as it's so slow. If I want to watch a vid I just open the url with youtube-dl and watch it from my desktop once it's downloaded.

• 1 month later...
On 29.1.2017 at 1:12 AM, CamTron said:

I have this one https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-flash-video-player/?src=ss installed on Pale Moon 26.5.0, and says it's compatible with Firefox 3.0 and higher, and Seamonkey 2.0 and higher.

I suggest trying that.

While its an issue that affects all operating systems known, tried yesterday to watch videos on YT with Windows 98SE and only HTML5 version will load, there are also extensions for other browsers that might still work.

I tried on Win 7: "YouTube™ use Flash Player" for Opera. Flash was used again afterwards. But you might have to activate it also for private tabs since only non private tabs are affected by default.

But I cant assure that it will work on the Opera version 12 and below which were used for Windows 98.

The extension is from 2016. Since opera 12.18 (not supported by Windows 98SE but by Windows 2000/XP and Linux ofcourse) came out the same year it might be worth a try.

Anyway there might be other extensisons like the one you mentioned. Since the guy that programmed the one I checked out also did release some for other browsers.

So that might be a workaround (hopefully) for some time.

• 3 weeks later...

From yesterday i have noticed that Opera is now unabled to load flash player into youtube.
Can you confirm? Does it work to you today? 

Anyway, I have successfully experimented a different way.  :whistle:
Always without gsstreamer folder, flash still normally works in embed mode  (https://www.youtube.com/embed/VIDEO_ID)

Edited by Commodore
...Attempt to erase double line spacing

If you take your standard youtube link, which looks like this:  "www.youtube.com/watch?v=(video-id)" I find that I can typically always play it in either FF2 or Opera 12.02 if I change the link to this:  "www.youtube.com/v/(video-id)".  Now that said, I've got 2 win-98 systems, and one of them I can seem to play youtube video's in the first format on opera 12.02 and I don't get the "your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available" message.  If I right-click on the video and select "get debug info" I see a lot of garble-dee-gook and nothing obvious telling me what version of flash that my Opera is using (I'm assuming that flash is used somehow).

So if anyone knows how to find out what Opera is using to play these video's, I can then figure out how exactly my one system is still able to play them in "native" (window'd) format.

7 hours ago, Commodore said:

From yesterday i have noticed that Opera is now unabled to load flash player into youtube.
Can you confirm? Does it work to you today?

I'm unable to load Flash on YouTube under XP/PaleMoon 24.7.2 now as well for the past two days. I came back to this thread to get the above mentioned Firefox addon and went to its page. There is some discussion in the comments there; someone claims that YouTube has disabled Flash. :realmad: I didn't investigate further yet.

man, enough people are having difficulty running youtube on 98SE and im trying to get it back running on windows 95 :(, man, it was nice having youtube work on windows 95 before, even if it only played at 240p settings, i never understood why it was limited to 240p settings though, i haven't found an explanation for this. 

Well guys, i just opened with Opera the html source of a generic youtube video page and i found the guilty: u0026web_player_disable_flash_watch=true

Obviously it's enough to replace "true" with "false", then apply the change; flash player immediately back to work... I hate these artificious restrictions!

Edited by Commodore
correct reference to html source