No youtube for Win9x/ME users without KernelEX anymore now?

schwups

Seem that only the HTML5-Videoplayer is supported and not the Flash Player plugin in the future.
I found 1 year-old announcements in the net. Opera 10.63 comes with a HTML5-Videoplayer, but it doesn't play anything without KernelEX.
Opera 11.64, 12.02 and Firefox 9.01 support furthermore the WebM format. The player works inside these versions. There is no full screen mode.

There's nothing we can do. No one has enough skills to port a modern open-source browser to 98SE. It will get worse and worse with each day. It's sad to see newer Flash Player not working. It's a miracle it worked up to version 21.

About no KernelEx, there's no reason to not use KernelEx on 98SE anymore.

About WebM/HTML5 - it's slow and underwhelming, even in my high end 98SE rig. Goes back to someone porting a more modern browser.

Even Facebook broke some time ago in Opera 11/12, the top bar after logging in is displayed wrong, and it wasn't a couple months ago.

I won't let 98SE die no matter what.

12 minutes ago, MrMateczko said:

There's nothing we can do. No one has enough skills to port a modern open-source browser to 98SE. It will get worse and worse with each day.

That's about the sum of it. There's just not enough people left with enough knowledge to undo the changes that cause incompatibility with older systems in newer code. (Although, and this is purely conjecture on my part, it might actually be surprising just how few changes would need to be made. I make this statement based on the fact that apparently the latest version 27.0.2 of PaleMoon can be hacked to run on Windows XP despite the continued insistence of it's developers that this is impossible.)

IMO (and I'm no programmer), if anyone did make the attempt the way forward for 9x lies with K-Meleon. I've only used it in a couple of tests myself but it essentially takes Firefox and strips it of all of the "eye candy" and "window dressing" rubbish and uses only the webpage rendering engine while using the Windows API for all of the interface. In this process one loses some functionality and ease-of-use with Addons and such, but it would eliminate a raft of UI API calls not present on 9x from the equation and leave only the rendering engine to make compatible. Then all we would need would be someone good with the 9x UI to make a proper skin to dress up the final product. Tihiy? :angel

Most likely pipe dreams at this point, lol. :}

About WebM/HTML5 - it's slow and underwhelming

Yes, but probably hardware dependent. Usually the playback works smoothly on my G31, G41 and i915 machines.  It is very poor (jerky video), on my older and weaker VIA P4M266A, Pentium4 Northwood, NV5900XT (AGP), 1GB RAM system. 

• 1 month later...

I'll give you a temporary fix (however it can't the final solution since also users with Windows XP and above don't want to be fixes to HTML5 by default).

Simply add "&nohtml5=1" at the end of a youtube video.

Maybe one day they will also remove this fallback option but maybe we have some time to. Can't open videos another way on my older machine with 98se.

And I'm not going to install android gingerbread (not even on a usb Flash drive) or lower just to make use of HTML5...

I'm hoping to find some alternative but it's nearly impossible and internet speed is really slow on that one, maybe Microsoft programmed the Network Drivers to have limitations. Can't get above the 1MB/s. But 3 MB/s would be possible through my ISP.

First I tried it successfully with Opera 11.64 and KernelEX. It switches to the Flash Player.

Does your router gives any information about DSL, Speed, data rate, performance (Leitungskapazität)? The max speed can be different in every street.

Opera 12.02 will play this youtube link as-is on my win-98 system: https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZewmkqygDes Although I do notice for some weeks now that Opera playback of youtube video's are not smooth (maybe 3 or 4 frames per second, even when set to 360 resolution) and sometimes just pause indefinately during playback.

Before pressing play, a static frame/image from the video is displayed.  If I add &nohtml5=1 to the end such that the URL becomes:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZewmkqygDes&nohtml5=1

I get a black screen (no static image) with a red Play button in the middle of the screen and no player controls at the bottom.  If I press the play button, the black screen turns into static (like you would see on a TV tuned to a blank channel) and the message "An error occurred. Please try again later. (Playback ID: L1CUhW6vVA7jiW2n)".

Before I started typing this reponse, I tried playing the first link on FF 2 and got the static frame with full player controls.  I press play and get the screen with static fuzz.  I've tried it again just now, and it is playing!  This is the first time in weeks I can remember FF2 playing a youtube video.  It's playing right now in the back ground (on ff2) as I type this using Opera 12.  The highest selectable resolution is 360.

I had also tried the second link (with &nohtml5=1 added to the end) on FF2 and it didn't work.  The screen is initially black (no static video frame) and the play controls show up on the bottom.  I press play and immediate get static with error message (An error has occurred.  Please try again later).

Opera 12 says it's using flash version 11,7,700,257 and the small flash test video plays in a small window on that page:

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

FF2 says it's using flash version 10,3,183,86 and the bouncing red box short flash animation video plays fine (but the advertising box that appears after the animation is a blank window in FF2, but the ad does show up on Opera 12.02).

I use Flash player even on modern versions of Windows. There's a Firefox extension that can force YouTube to use Flash. There's always less buffering, and the video consistently has smoother playback with Flash. I don't know why the HTML5 player is so slow. I guess there's always the alternative of streaming the video to VLC, but that's cumbersome to set up, and it often has audio sync issues.

Sadly, I don't know of such an extension for Opera 12, so YouTube is now choppy for me on Windows 98.

Edited by CamTron

On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 8:17 AM, winxpi said:

Simply add "&nohtml5=1" at the end of a youtube video.

Amazingly this seems to "stick" somehow, even if I click to view another video. I figured one would have to add it manually for every link.

9 hours ago, CamTron said:

There's a Firefox extension that can force YouTube to use Flash.

Do any of those work for Firefox 24 and/or Palemoon 24? I had a look around and they only seem to go back to Firefox 26 for compatibility. :}

&nohtml5=1:

Basically Youtube works with Opera 10.1 and Firefox 2.0.0.20 with KernelEX disabled for the exe files and NPSWF32.dll. The test version is Flash Player 9.0.280, even if the buttons are not visible.

Then I tried an entry "&nohtml5=1" in the cfg file of Flash. But this doesn't work as I expected.

I have this one https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-flash-video-player/?src=ss installed on Pale Moon 26.5.0, and says it's compatible with Firefox 3.0 and higher, and Seamonkey 2.0 and higher.

I downloaded what I think is the XPI file for the youtube-flash-video-player mentioned by XPocalypse.  I had to use wget, so I don't have the download link handy.  The install.rdf sez the home page for the add-on is barisderin.com.  I changed the minimum FF version to 2 and re-zipped the package and installed it.  I see it show up in FF addon list as Youtube Flash Video Player 50.2.1 but the add-on window hangs when I click on Options.

But that issue aside, and I don't know if what I'm seeing now is an effect of this add-on or not, but if you take a link to a youtube video like this:

https www. youtube.com/watch?v=gneBUA39mnI

I get a blank box in FF2 with no player controls.  But if I alter the URL like this:

https www. youtube.com/v/gneBUA39mnI

I get a full-window video presentation, with sample image overlay, with full playback controls, and with the option to change resolution to 480, 720 and 1080, with the default being 480.

On ‎23‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 2:59 PM, Nomen said:
On ‎23‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 2:59 PM, Nomen said:

Opera 12.02 will play this youtube link as-is on my win-98 system: https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZewmkqygDes Although I do notice for some weeks now that Opera playback of youtube video's are not smooth (maybe 3 or 4 frames per second, even when set to 360 resolution) and sometimes just pause indefinately during playback.

Before pressing play, a static frame/image from the video is displayed.  If I add &nohtml5=1 to the end such that the URL becomes:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZewmkqygDes&nohtml5=1

I get a black screen (no static image) with a red Play button in the middle of the screen and no player controls at the bottom.  If I press the play button, the black screen turns into static (like you would see on a TV tuned to a blank channel) and the message "An error occurred. Please try again later. (Playback ID: L1CUhW6vVA7jiW2n)".

Before I started typing this reponse, I tried playing the first link on FF 2 and got the static frame with full player controls.  I press play and get the screen with static fuzz.  I've tried it again just now, and it is playing!  This is the first time in weeks I can remember FF2 playing a youtube video.  It's playing right now in the back ground (on ff2) as I type this using Opera 12.  The highest selectable resolution is 360.

I had also tried the second link (with &nohtml5=1 added to the end) on FF2 and it didn't work.  The screen is initially black (no static video frame) and the play controls show up on the bottom.  I press play and immediate get static with error message (An error has occurred.  Please try again later).

Opera 12 says it's using flash version 11,7,700,257 and the small flash test video plays in a small window on that page:

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

FF2 says it's using flash version 10,3,183,86 and the bouncing red box short flash animation video plays fine (but the advertising box that appears after the animation is a blank window in FF2, but the ad does show up on Opera 12.02).

###

When you use embedding the code changes. I cant tell you why that is.

would look like this : youtube.com/embed/VIDEOID?nohtml5=1

If you dont use embedding its

youtube.com/watch?v=VIDEOID&nohtml5=1

But there are examples that may not work. I noticed the same with a notebook where I used Internet explorer 11, some of the music videos might not play with flash because of copyright restrictions. Didnt try if the restriction message also showed up on 98se thought.

Hower it should work in most cases. Interesting would be if we could find a solution for the slow performance when using HTML5 player. I rather use flash because on a Pentium 3 machine it even slower when HTML5 is used. Flash atleast gives me a relatively good performance(as long as I dont have multiple videos open).

Edited by winxpi
quoting

On ‎25‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 3:16 AM, LoneCrusader said:

Amazingly this seems to "stick" somehow, even if I click to view another video. I figured one would have to add it manually for every link.

Do any of those work for Firefox 24 and/or Palemoon 24? I had a look around and they only seem to go back to Firefox 26 for compatibility. :}

Interesting. Maybe its browser specific. I cant remember right now if Opera 12 remebers it , but atleast on IE11 it does(I know thats no option). But ofcourse only aslong as you havent cleaned the cache yet.

On ‎23‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 1:55 PM, schwups said:

First I tried it successfully with Opera 11.64 and KernelEX. It switches to the Flash Player.

Does your router gives any information about DSL, Speed, data rate, performance (Leitungskapazität)? The max speed can be different in every street.

Well that PC uses an ethernet cable directly linked to the wireless router/modem (its a modem with integrated wifi router).

All the notebooks get a faster speed on the speed tests. Somewhere I read that maybe due to lack of RAM /Graphics card.

Usually I can load a youtube video on a smartphone faster (well should be said that youtube is handled differntly on smartphones aswell and better implementation of HTML5, graphics processor chip maybe a reason) and thats via wifi in the same household. But havent tried the speed test there.

Sorry for the double post hope its just a bit more better overview.

• 2 weeks later...