Noob Question Regarding Proper Installation, Regedit, Custom Themes

Mitch_Rapp

Hello Everyone,

I'm a new user/fan of Aero Glass.  According to my log file, I have installed Aero Glass properly.  My question is, is the registry editing mandatory in order to get other applications (like browsers) to theme?  I am particularly talking about the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows.  I first created a restore point, then attempted to edit that part of the registry and (at least in my case, I think) I also added the key RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs, as that particular key was not present.  However, upon doing this I ran into a BSOD.  When I restored back into Windows, I checked the log file and it was a repetition of the following error, "[0x2594:0x3770] This library can be injected into DWM process only!".  Since restoring, I haven't gone back into the registry as I wanted to sign up and ask if anyone could help me out with some advice or point me in the direction of where I can find out what happened when I attempted to edit the registry.  I'd like to try out other member's theme atlas' but when I try by renaming the current .png file, pasting the one I want to try, things are not working correctly.  I've tried with the GUI tool, as well as by placing the .png I want in and also renaming the layout file to match the .png (Is that step necessary or will other atlas files work without changing that file's name?) but I'm running into some problems.  I am going to attach my debug file.  I apologize if this has already been covered elsewhere.  I've been trying to search for my own answers and I've found a lot of useful information along the way which has only made me want to use Aero Glass even more.  I now just want to be able to get it to work fully 100% correctly and also learn how to try out other themes as I really hate the way W10 looks.  Thank you for any help.

debug.log

If you're only interested in theme atlases, you don't have to change anything in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows. Just setting the correct image in GUI tool is sufficient.

You don't have to rename anything, multiple .pngs can coexist peacefully. However, you do need the theme atlas that is made for your particular Windows version, in your case the Anniversary Update Build 14393. Theme atlases come with .layout files so their authors don't have to change the image itself when the system expects the elements in the image in particular order when it comes to different Windows versions.

Editing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows would only be necessary for installation of UX Theme Signature Bypass DLL, which gives you the ability to use full blown custom themes that don't only change window frame appearance, but other aspects of the user interface like buttons, checkboxes, drop-down lists, scrollbars, etc.

I think you used that method to install DWMGlass.dll instead of DLLs in here: http://glass8.eu/out/UxTSB-2016-10-19.7z Below are instructions to install them (minus the part about having to set LoadAppInit_DLLs to 1, which you already figured out). The next non-experimental version of Aero Glass will probably have this functionality built-in without the need for any special user intervention, so when it's released, you'll have to remove the old DLLs.

On 12/12/2016 at 11:16 AM, UCyborg said:

If you're only interested in theme atlases, you don't have to change anything in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows. Just setting the correct image in GUI tool is sufficient.

You don't have to rename anything, multiple .pngs can coexist peacefully. However, you do need the theme atlas that is made for your particular Windows version, in your case the Anniversary Update Build 14393. Theme atlases come with .layout files so their authors don't have to change the image itself when the system expects the elements in the image in particular order when it comes to different Windows versions.

Editing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows would only be necessary for installation of UX Theme Signature Bypass DLL, which gives you the ability to use full blown custom themes that don't only change window frame appearance, but other aspects of the user interface like buttons, checkboxes, drop-down lists, scrollbars, etc.

I think you used that method to install DWMGlass.dll instead of DLLs in here: http://glass8.eu/out/UxTSB-2016-10-19.7z Below are instructions to install them (minus the part about having to set LoadAppInit_DLLs to 1, which you already figured out). The next non-experimental version of Aero Glass will probably have this functionality built-in without the need for any special user intervention, so when it's released, you'll have to remove the old DLLs.

Thank you for replying and sorry for getting back to this so late.  If you're still around or if anyone else can see this and can help, my question is now, do I drop the UxTSB32.dll and UxTSB64.dll in C:\Aeroglass then apply the registry edits mentioned in the Ux bypass instructions minus the LoadAppInit_Dll to 1?

You must make sure LoadAppInit_DLLs is set to 1, I was just trying to say that this isn't mentioned in the linked post with instructions. So to recap:

1. Drop the UxTSB32.dll and UxTSB64.dll in C:\AeroGlass
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
  3. Set AppInit_DLLs to C:\AeroGlass\UxTSB64.dll
  4. Make sure LoadAppInit_DLLs is set to 1.
  5. Make sure RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs IS NOT PRESENT and if it is, either delete it or set it to 0.
  6. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
  7. Set AppInit_DLLs to C:\AeroGlass\UxTSB32.dll
  8. Make sure LoadAppInit_DLLs is set to 1.
  9. Make sure RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs IS NOT PRESENT and if it is, either delete it or set it to 0.
  10. Reboot the computer.

On 12/20/2016 at 8:02 PM, UCyborg said:

You must make sure LoadAppInit_DLLs is set to 1, I was just trying to say that this isn't mentioned in the linked post with instructions. So to recap:

1. Drop the UxTSB32.dll and UxTSB64.dll in C:\AeroGlass
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
  3. Set AppInit_DLLs to C:\AeroGlass\UxTSB64.dll
  4. Make sure LoadAppInit_DLLs is set to 1.
  5. Make sure RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs IS NOT PRESENT and if it is, either delete it or set it to 0.
  6. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
  7. Set AppInit_DLLs to C:\AeroGlass\UxTSB32.dll
  8. Make sure LoadAppInit_DLLs is set to 1.
  9. Make sure RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs IS NOT PRESENT and if it is, either delete it or set it to 0.
  10. Reboot the computer.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write everything out nice and straightforward.  I was definitely a little confused, so I really appreciate you doing that.  I backed up, followed the instructions and have rebooted.  Is it normal that the settings app in W10 doesn't skin like the rest of the glassy looking windows 7-like windows that aeroglass creates?

Oh right, you need another DLL for that: http://glass8.eu/out/ModernFrame-2016-10-22.7z

Drop it in AeroGlass folder, then add C:\AeroGlass\ModernFrame-x64-Release.dll to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs. Paths to multiple DLLs must be separated with space or comma. Then reboot.

Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this.  The only question I have is regarding the fact that when I try (with aeroglass gui) to change the atlas, my minimize, maximize and close buttons disappear.  Is there something I'm not doing besides using the gui to point at the atlas I wish to try out?