Win2k Kernel32 rewrite progress

WildBill

It's been about a year since I've posted, but I've been quietly working on my rewrite of kernel32.dll on and off. I've gotten it to the point where I'm pretty confident that it's finally free of any bugs :) I've posted the source and DLL here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jea4ca8d7f4g3yj/Windows2000-kernel32-rewrite-v6.zip

I'm thinking that the next logical step would be to start on a rewrite of ntdll.dll, which I hope will be easier (since it's smaller). I'm not even using Win2k all that much anymore, but I still like the idea of eventually being able to build our own Win2k kernel that can run on modern hardware.

• 3 weeks later...

This is 100% legal. But as far as seeing it on github/bitbucket/*, don't hold your breath. WildBill has posted the full sources of his re-creation of Win 2k kernel32, together with the compiled executable. He did it alone, didn't ask for any help and freely gave his results to the comunity. What else do you want? A pole-dance? :crazy:

5 hours ago, dencorso said:

This is 100% legal. But as far as seeing it on github/bitbucket/*, don't hold your breath. WildBill has posted the full sources of his re-creation of Win 2k kernel32, together with the compiled executable. He did it alone, didn't ask for any help and freely gave his results to the comunity. What else do you want? A pole-dance? :crazy:

I think it's awesome that this has been released, and I was thinking it would be easier to have many people working on patches to kernel32 to make more applications work. I didn't want to make a repository myself since it's his source.

SetCurrentProcessExplicitAppUserModelID \\ 55 8B  EC B8 05 40 00 80 5D C2 04 00
SHAddDefaultPropertiesByExt \\ 55 8B EC B8 05 40 00 80 5D C2 08 00

SHBindToObject\\retn    14h \\55 8B EC C7 45 18 00 00  00 00 33 C0 5D C2 14 00

I have few shell32 stubs for vista function hope they will help you

• 2 weeks later...
On Saturday, January 07, 2017 at 7:42 PM, agrecascino said:

This is legal right? If so, it would be cool to see this on github/bitbucket/*.

Yes. As long as it was clean-room written from scratch without using any leaked Win2K source code, then it's perfectly legal. ReactOS and Wine fall into the same category.

Wow, this is amazing! I never dreamed someone would be able to completely re-implement kernel32.

1 hour ago, dencorso said:

One cannot redistribute any MS file. Therefore, any modified MS file cannot be legally redistributed, either. No exceptions.

That means KernelEx, unofficial SPs etc are illegal ?