Nvidia GTX 1060 inf modding for vista?

burd

You could probably try, but I wouldn't bet on it, at least without a compatibility layer or wrappers. I don't have the equipment to test it, so I can neither confirm nor deny. 

Although it is worth noting that in contrast to AMD, NVIDIA still supports Windows 7 RTM (AMD's drivers require at least 7 SP1), so this may substantially increase your chances of the drivers working on Vista, as there aren't quite as many API differences between Vista SP2+Platform Update and 7 RTM vs 7 SP1, since much of 7 RTM's functionality was backported to Vista via the Platform Update.

On December 22, 2016 at 1:59 PM, burd said:

inside the inf there's no column for vista am i to manually add that or something? im unaware what i have to do,havent been into modding infs since a while

What you need to look for is the column for Windows 7, which would look something like "NTAMD64.6.1". What you must do is change that to 6.0. Just make sure to do this in any .inf files that you see. Then manually install the drivers via Device Manager.

Don't bother with XP drivers; you're not going to get Aero or proper 3D acceleration if you install them.

7 hours ago, burd said:

Aah Yes... Thanks 2008WindowsVista

Im assuming after modding it should work perfectly fine? on Vista x64 SP2?

I can't guarantee that. What I can say is that it ought to be more likely to work than say the newer AMD drivers, as NVIDIA's minimum requirement is Windows 7 RTM, and AMD's minimum requirement is Windows 7 SP1. SP1 for Windows 7 introduced new dependencies/APIs that aren't found in Vista SP2, even with the Platform Update, whereas Vista's Platform Update ported much of the functionality/APIs in Windows 7 RTM to Vista. This probably explains why the newer AMD drivers (post 15.6) don't work in Vista anymore.

I can test the newer drivers themselves when I get my secondary Vista machine back up and running, but that system has a GTX 760, so I won't be able to test using an actual GTX 1000 series GPU. This should show us whether the drivers even work at all, though.

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

No,i will personally be doing it and will let you guys know,though im having problems loading vista into uefi(GPT Partition Style)z

Any tips or help would be appreciated, cant get it to load on uefi(it loads on legacy though)

Edited by burd