WinXP HID Devices gone! no mouse or keyboard!

Damnation

Hi all, Merry Christmas

I recently reinstalled XP on my machine and it was working fine up until just yesterday.

The mouse and keyboard have disappeared from my device manager, I'm trying to figure out how I can reinstall them. - The mouse/KB are working fine when i boot windows 10.

I can still access and use my XP install through Remote Desktop, so can anyone help me to get the mouse and keyboard reinstalled on XP?

any help would be appreciated, thanks

13 hours ago, Damnation said:

Hi all, Merry Christmas

I recently reinstalled XP on my machine and it was working fine up until just yesterday.

The mouse and keyboard have disappeared from my device manager, I'm trying to figure out how I can reinstall them. - The mouse/KB are working fine when i boot windows 10.

I can still access and use my XP install through Remote Desktop, so can anyone help me to get the mouse and keyboard reinstalled on XP?

any help would be appreciated, thanks

Press f8 then select last known working configuration before boot

what is your configuration?

1 hour ago, Dibya said:

Press f8 then select last known working configuration before boot

what is your configuration?

I tried that, doesn't work

the only thing that has worked so far is a complete reinstall of XP

by configuration, do you mean my hardware?

motherboard: GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK

graphics card: nvidia GTX 970

soundcard: audigy rx

I've managedto get drivers for XP for all my devices (no "other devices" listed in device manager)

I can still log into the machine via remote desktop to access things, from there I can access device manager and see mouse and keyboard are gone.

It's just this strange mouse and keyboard disappearing thing that's bothering me, and it only happens once i boot into another OS.

any ideas?

I think I might have figured out what is happening, but not how to fix it

I backed up the mouse and keyboard registry entries, restored them through remote desktop, then restarted, it works again until i leave XP then I have to restore again

any idea how to block registry entries from being altered?

kbdclass.reg.working.txt

mouclass.reg.working.txt

15 hours ago, Damnation said:

If it was a hardware failure, wouldn't I be experiencing these issues with other OSes as well?

Possibly. But not at all necessarily...

Is the mouse connected to the keyboard and the keyboard to the machine? Or do each use its own separate usb connector on the machine?

Is it connected to usb 3.0 port from intel? I have seen during setup those ports work and after restart stop working... it's a bit confusing. If os cannot contact usb 3.0 port, then how can it work, actually?

If so, do enter bios and then disable XHCI.