[SOLVED!] Can't activate Windows 7 Ultimate!

ppgrainbow

On 1/8/2017 at 5:51 AM, bookie32 said:

That is OK by me...:D

Yes, ebay do not take kindly to those that con others...not good for their image either...

Just let me know if I can be of help....:D

bookie32

Alrighty!

We are in the process of getting the counterfeit item returned for a full refund and look to get Windows 8.1 Pro FPP (FQC-06913) as a replacement Christmas present. :)

If I do, I will use the OS to replace Windows Vista and get it activated with Microsoft so, I won't have to deal with anymore major issues for a while.

By the way, what are the differences between the SKUs FQC-06913 and FQC-06914 when it comes to Windows 8.1 Pro?

Edited by ppgrainbow

On 12/29/2016 at 2:52 AM, ppgrainbow said:
On 12/28/2016 at 10:34 PM, Nomen said:

If the computer is OEM or brand-name then there's a good chance that you'd be able to create an installation ISO that is tied to some OEM codes in the BIOS that define what windows license the computer had when it left the factory.

The computer that I'm using used to have Windows 8 Pro when I first got it in February 2014. However, I erased the OEM code in the UEFI BIOS and used Compatibility Support Module (CSM) when I downgraded to Windows Vista Ultimate.

Could you clarify the above? I got gifted an HP Pro 3500 that comes with Windows 7 Pro and "upgradable" to Windows 8.1 Pro. Both SLIC2.1 and the Win8.1 key are embedded in the BIOS' MSDM. I considered for giggles installing the 8.1 and activating it but I refuse to clobber it. I did, however, install it but not activate it (did it offline - first time I fiddled with Win8 and yeesh!).

Are you saying that Windows does weird stuff to the BIOS? (No way!) Side note: I did not use the Secure-Whatchamacallit setting in the BIOS, only the UEFI / GPT stuff. (Also my first time utilizing those). Both Win7 and Win8.1 installed fine, both UEFI and Legacy.

edit: Well, shoot! Maybe the Win8.1 was installed strictly UEFI/GPT... (both installs were x64, BTW)

edit2: o_O (and post following)

Edited by submix8c
edit1: Alzheimers / edit2: Drain Bamage

Windows doesn't do any weird stuff to the BIOS at all.

I went to the BIOS setup and disabled UEFI secure boot: http://www.technorms.com/45538/disable-enable-secure-boot-asus-motherboard-uefi-bios-utility

When I installed Windows Vista, I had to select Other OS. When I used Legacy OPROM features on the devices installed, Windows 8 would no longer work and would BSOD and that when I installed the OS that I'm still using today.

Because the primary boot hard drive was GPT, I wound up deleting the partition and in Windows setup, recreated the partition as a MBR. It's possible to convert a MBR partition to GPT, but you have to have at least Windows Vista SP1 installed. Using a GPT partition is only truly necessary if you have a 2.5 TB hard disk or larger.

29 minutes ago, submix8c said:

Well, that explains that. I figured as much. I also disabled Secure Boot. It seemed like more trouble than it was worth (and is a no-no for older OS, AFAIK). It'll stay that way.

Secure Boot is just too troublesome for legacy OSes even for Windows 8 and Windows 10.

By the way, the counterfeit Windows 7 Ultimate has been sent back to the seller for a refund of $79! :)

I don't think its possible to leave negative feedback since the seller doesn't have anything on sale on his eBay account anymore.

Besides that, I ordered Windows 8.1 Pro (FQC-06913) off of eBay for $100 as a replacement Christmas president. Windows 8.1 should work in legacy mode and Secure Boot disabled. :)

I would like to make a final update in this thread and the good news is that everything has been resolved!

I got Windows 8.1 Pro working on my computer. I had to install the drivers for the NETGEAR WNDA3100v3 N600 USB adapter first and then when the drivers were loaded, Windows 8.1 was automatically activated! :)

Now that I can rest easy for a while. I do a lot of business buying products on eBay and dealing with a counterfeit Windows 7 Ultimate product was really stressful on me and I sure hope that I don't go through this mess anymore!