Simple XP 32BIT 64Gb RAM (true Pae) Guide

liquidLD

This is such a tired discussion at this point.  We all have tried all of the various patches.  Some of us Have copies of 2003 server enterprise that natively does this.  Fact is none of the patches are any good for everyone.  Because they all do the same thing transplant or Mod XP so that it acts like 2003 server and with that comes hardware compatibility issues.  Never mind Software incompatibility issues that arise from programs not running in a 2003 environment correctly.

On 8/7/2017 at 8:38 PM, dencorso said:

My friends, IMO it's not mature yet. In any case, please do read this thread. With 8 GiB one can create a RAMDISK and then put the swapfile in it, the rest can be used to hold the Temporary Internet Files, and the caches for FF, Opera and Chrome: and it'll get auto cleaned up at every reboot. :yes:

Now you know what I was talking about when I posted the post quoted above... Unless there's a big breakthrough sometime in the future (which I really doubt will ever happen), still the best use for all RAM above the 3.x GiB that XP recognizres is a RAMDisk which knows how to use PAE, like the Gavotte does.

• 2 weeks later...

XP appears to allocate physical memory top down like Windows 9x. If Windows is Patched and a RAMDisk run from within it, Drivers and many other things will still end up in high memory.

To avoid any issues you will need a RAMDisk that loads before Windows or one that can use RAM not known by Windows. Windows should not be Patched in this case.

1 hour ago, rloew said:

To avoid any issues you will need a RAMDisk that loads before Windows or one that can use RAM not known by Windows. Windows should not be Patched in this case.

That's precisely what I meant when I said:

On 11/11/2017 at 8:37 PM, dencorso said:

the best use for all RAM above the 3.x GiB that XP recognizres is a RAMDisk which knows how to use PAE, like the Gavotte does.

Gavotte itself uses PAE, it does not rely on a patched Windows to do it, nor require any windows patching. And it works equally well with up to Windows 8.1 x86.

• 1 year later...

Could someone re-upload the file? I have another version of this file (tested and worked on VMWare) that's only a couple kb.

It's cartoonish how we have all these patches available online, but it's all scattered >_<

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

• 2 months later...

Sorry to yet again bump this old topic...

I'm wondering if someone could re-upload the 20mb file listed here. As usual, download links seem to die overtime on MSFN.

I have a hold of the Chinese 64gb ram patch that's only a couple kilobytes, but I'm wondering if this one has any differences.

Thank you!

13 minutes ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

As usual, download links seem to die overtime on MSFN.

Download links don't "die overtime on MSFN".

Users posting links to not reliable hosting servers (or unmaintained ones) create (not-so-surprisingly) unreliable links.

Anyway, JFYI,  a generic rule of the thumb when requesting a missing file is to post an EXACT reference to what you are missing, a link to where it is cited, a link to where it was, etc,:

a description like "the 20mb file listed here" is totally pointless

(and lots of people that actually may have the file won't lose their time in this guessing game).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

• 1 year later...

Wouldn't it be wiser to put the Pae files from xp sp1 into sp3 running OS? for the sake of stability?

I bet there'd be someone capable of making a patch for that purpose.

and what about this guide but scroll down the page to second guide xp Pae  

Edited by ZaPbUzZ
additional

2 hours ago, ZaPbUzZ said:

and what about this guide but scroll down the page to second guide xp Pae  

Your link brings to;

How to Turn Off GPS Locations on Your Cell Phone

By Kenyonda Bradley

I.e. neither XP, nor PAE related, there is nothing scrolling down :dubbio:(and BTW there isn't much even without scrolling), possibly you pasted a wrong link.

jaclaz

After PAE fix, which is already done, see..
https://www.win-raid.com/t4035f45-Windows-XP-Bit-and-Server-Bit-on-Modern-Hardware.html

but, there is other problem that are not working drivers, which are not ready for it.. so probably some universal PAE fix cant exist and you need fixing per driver, if you unlucky to enough to have device which are has such drivers (there are lots of them)

• 1 year later...

Having played around with a 5GB Gavotte ramdisk for over about a year, I don't think it is a substitute for more RAM. It is not all that fast according to copy benchmarks. If I put a swap file on it, Windows likes to swap big programs out to it every time they are minimized. So I need to reserve 2x the ram for them. If I also put a temp directory on this disk, sometimes there is a deadlock condition where the computer pauses for a few seconds waiting on the ram disk.

There aren't that many programs worth using that have compatibility issues with Server specifically. I've only encountered Photoshop CS3, which could be fixed.

How would you go about fixing PAE "per driver"? That requires intimate knowledge of machine code, right, and ability to locate it inside giant drivers?

Sorry four the double post. I added 16 gigs of RAM to my other computer for a 20 in total. It works well without an E-MU/Creative Sound Card. Maybe components that come on motherboards are better tested because they may get installed in a "server" environment. I have nVidia, Realtek NIC, Realtek sound, Intel Ahci. Even a crash of CPU-Z doesn't happen anymore. None of task managers, etc. crash, Daemon Tools works, Yamaha SYXG works.

This ram is really difficult to fill up intentionally. All programs restore up, including games, no complaints from the OS at 19 GB used. No swap file.

fzpA7Vq.jpg

11 minutes ago, DrunkenTanker said:

URL does not work.

Use patch from @daniel_k for Windows XP SP3 x86 in any language.

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/drivers-and-tools-to-run-windows-xp-on-newer-hardware.81607/

For Windows Server 2003 SP2 x86 or newer use PatchPAE3

https://github.com/evgen-b/PatchPAE3