BSOD: Page Fault in Nonpaged Area

FranceBB

Hi!

Just wondering whether it's hardware related or software related. I started an encode using x264 and avisynth with the following instructions: http://pastebin.com/Cnq38GD8

Such an encode is actually very normal and I didn't run anything weird. A weird thing, though, is that I have a full memory dump set as default in case of BSOD, but this memory dump doesn't show up in BlueScreenViewer and it's not in the "minidump" folder in C:\Windows\Minidump. I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86, 64 GB PAE Russian Pack (Chinese mod + Windows Server 2003 x86 drivers). PosReady Updates, Windows Embedded UI, C++ Redistributable 2005 - 2015, Intel C++ Redistributable 2016, .NET Framework 1.0 - 4.0. I'm gonna run the encode again and I'll let you know. My system it's pretty old, but has never been overclocked (I stopped overclocking during the last two years).

15977438_1363976530300850_61464831136120

I went through the BSOD error two or three times over the past several months.  Just pops up, nothing consistent......no particular job or action prior to.   I ran mem test three different times leaving it run overnight with over a dozen passes and no errors in RAM.  I opened the box and checked all my connections and gave everything a good cleaning.  After that, I have been free from the error (fingers crossed).  Most times, this error can be related to recent hardware changes, bad or corrupted drivers and, most often corruption in memory.  I've read that bad connections have been known to cause the problem as well, so that is why I rechecked my connections and cleaned everything.

Is this the first time you've received the error, or is this something that has been repeated?   One final tip, run scannow to check your system files and also chk disk for any errors on your drive.

I already ran a check disc and sfc scannow, but everything was fine already. ( I generally run CHKDSK C: /F /R on my HSSD once a month, as it's generally a good habit). I did run memtest which resulted to be ok. Since it was the very first time I had that issue, I decided to further investigate. I replaced avisynth core 2.6.0.5 with the 2.6.1 one (which wasn't the problem anyway) and I replaced FFMPEGSource2 with DirectShowSource and... ta-da... everything is running smoothly. Well, the encode hasn't finished yet, but it has been running for about 8 hours without any issues, so I'm pretty confident it will make its way to the end. It actually seems that it was software related. Unfortunately, the "new" ffms2 has something that make the old good Windows XP crash if called multiple times in a session. That would also explain why the very first frame was "weird", like black with a few gray lines at the very beginning, something that never happened before. I will definitely report this to its developer, even though he said that even though he added XP support back, XP-related bug will have lower priority, so... fingers crossed... :|

IMG_20170111_062022.png

Edited by FranceBB

18 hours ago, FranceBB said:

A weird thing, though, is that I have a full memory dump set as default in case of BSOD, but this memory dump doesn't show up in BlueScreenViewer and it's not in the "minidump" folder in C:\Windows\Minidump.

@Dibya

Which part of "this memory dump doesn't show up in BlueScreenViewer" is difficult?

jaclaz

@Tripredacus... page file is enabled in "O" (an hard drive) and disabled in "C" (an SSD) in order to prevent XP from wasting SSD cycles. It's set up to 8 GB instead of leaving everything to the OS because when I make DCT and motion vectors calcs I need to "cache" several frames (actually, 4x4 blocks and 8x8 macroblocks) and I make a large use of virtual memory. Both "processor planning" and "memory usage" in the "advanced" menu are set to "programs" (default). In "avvio e ripristino" (start and recovery) menu, in "write debug info", "full memory dump" was selected but got disabled for some reason, I think because of a third party software and I think Avast is the one to "blame". Well, not exactly Avast the antivirus, but the "tool" they gave to the beta testers few months ago to make a full memory dump if errors occurred while running Avast Beta when it was released. I think they had in mind to activate a full memory dump themselves for everyone for testing purposes and they later on disabled it for everyone when we were moved to the stable branch, regardless of the settings that each user had chosen before joining the beta channel. That would explain why the last memory dump I have is dated 16/04/2016, when I got a BSOD due to a faulty USB Multi-Hub driver (it was because of the PAE, 'cause I remember it worked back in the days when I didn't have the PAE patch).

Well, I think we can say "Mistery Solved" this time. Thank y'all! :)