Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

List of Web Browsers Working with XP 2017

The top sections list browsers which receive updates.

Windows XP 32-bit SP2
Chromium-based Browsers
Advanced Chrome 54.15.5320.0

Windows XP 32-bit SP3
Gecko-based Browsers
Firefox ESR 52.3.0
Comodo IceDragon 52.0.0.4
Cyberfox 52.2.1 ESR
K-Meleon 75.1
SeaMonkey 2.48

Goanna-based 
Palemoon 27.4.2 (Unoffical Build! Password is Feodor2)

Chromium (Webkit-based) Browsers
Slimjet 10.0.13.0 (Backports Chrome 50)
Citro 50.0.2661.276 (Backports Chromuim 50)
Chedot 51.0.2704.5311 (Backports Chromium 51)
Maxthon 5.1.0.4000
Comodo Dragon 50.0.0.2
7-Star Browser 1.42.19 (Chromium 42.0.2311.152)
Baidu 43.23.1000.500

Webkit-based (Non-Chromium)
Midori 0.5.11

Presto-based
Opera 12.18

Qt-based Browsers
Dooble 1.56d
Otter Browser XP

Other
Avant Browser
Lunascape 6.15.1

Beta Browsers (Maybe unstable)
SeaMonkey 2.49a2 (Not officially released)

Requires Modifying
Palemoon 27+ (Guide)

Windows XP 64-bit SP2
Opera 64-bit 44.0.2510.1457 
Waterfox 46

Does not receive updates on XP anymore
Opera 36.0.2130.65
Qupzilla 2.0.1 (Not officially supported)
Google Chrome 49.0.2623.112
Chromium 49
SRW Iron 49
Torch 49
Epic Browser 49
Vivaldi Beta 3 (Chromium 49)
Pale Moon 24.7.2
Pale Moon Atom/XP 26.5.0
IceWeasel 53.1.0 (Warning: may not display properly due to Chinese language)
Yandex Browser
Orbitum 48

No longer works
Firefox 53+
Google Chrome 50+
Chromium 50+
Qupzilla 2.0.2+
Pale Moon 25.0.0+
Iceweasel 54+
Slephiler 6

Unsure
QQ Browser (Chromium-based)

Italics - Infrequent updates, not likely to receive any more

Useful Workarounds
Spoof your web browser to bypass false incompatibilities!
Spoofing Firefox 53 on Windows 2000 and XP
Unable to watch Netflix? Guide to install WideVineCDM on Advanced Chrome! Don't forget the follow-up!

Useful Tips
Firefox Version Guide

Inform me of any errors or newer browsers to include!

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~
September 1, 2017 - Added Palemoon

monroe    51

I thought a 2017 update on browsers that are still working 100% with WinXP might be helpful. Several browsers that probably were OK in 2016 may no longer have that title now.

When I say 'working 100%' in 2017 ... maybe 98% or 99% would pass also. Pale Moon with the last version for XP still seems OK in January ... I hope that will continue for another six months or a year. There was hope in December that a new K-Meleon browser version would be released but there was a serious setback ... Dorian posted this Dec 21st ...

"Re: K-Meleon 76 RC

Posted by: Dorian

Date: December 21, 2016 02:17AM

Hello there,

I'm not completely dead yet, I had another SSD crash and Windows decided to format my backup... I though I had another backup except it was *only* 8 months old. I already didn't like much windows before that but now I wish I could really avoid using it.

So, I've gathered what I have to make what could be a RC2. But I'm afraid this could not be complete and could have more problem than the RC. I don't have a changelog except for the code history (with crappy comment sorry)

Anyways, I wishes you happy holidays"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

... so it looks like that program may or may not come back for K-Meleon ... it might almost be back to square one.

The reason I decided to bring this up ... I have Firefox ESR (up to date) and yesterday I decided to use it for a few minutes and I had trouble with two common websites ... something about certificates not being safe or expired ... never had that happen before and I closed FF down and went back to Pale Moon. No problem with that browser or my older K-Meleon browser.

So I'm wondering about SeaMonkey or other browsers that people are still using in 2017 and are ALSO satisfied with that browser's performance?

Edited by monroe

dencorso    531

All but IEx work OK. Most don't update anymore.
Some cannot be used in the latest version, but still the last version that works does it quite fine.
FF 50.1.0 works 100% OK and still updates.
IE8 has no updates anymore, and barely works to access MU/WU and about nothing else.
IE9-IE11 never worked.

Dclem    3
2 hours ago, monroe said:

The reason I decided to bring this up ... I have Firefox ESR (up to date) and yesterday I decided to use it for a few minutes and I had trouble with two common websites ... something about certificates not being safe or expired ... never had that happen before and I closed FF down and went back to Pale Moon. No problem with that browser or my older K-Meleon browser.

I am running Firefox 50.1.0 which is the latest version on my XP SP3 machine.  Since updating to 50.1.0, I have noticed the same events as you describe concerning some common websites.   I receive an alert about the certigicate not being safe and it asks if I want to continue or leave the page!   I have experienced this a couple of times previously with prior versions, but it has appeared quite often since updating to the current Firefox version.   Your Firefox ESR may not have a unique issue.

monroe    51

Dclem ... thanks for confirming your experience with FF ... I just fired it up on Thur to check for an update. There was none and my current version is Firefox ESR v45.6.0 but there were problems with two common big name web sites and I was frustrated and didn't have time to keep trying different web sites or to really figure out what was actually going on. As I said I closed down FF and went back to Pale Moon and my K-Meleon browser.

I had not run into this before since I set up FF after Pale Moon announced they were dropping WinXP support.

vwestlife ... with the browser list that you provided and if you have some of them installed ... how do they report if you go to this test site ... are there problems ... do they Pass or Fail ???

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html

Edited by monroe
spacing /correction

FranceBB    85

It's kinda weird, 'cause I'm experiencing the certificates problem you were talking about with Chrome (which uses crypto.dll provided by Windows) but not with Firefox (which has its own SSL reader). Do you use the Certificate Update tool provided here in MSFN to keep them updated?

Edited by FranceBB

monroe    51

I don't know about that Certificate Update tool ... never heard of it before ... somehow I missed that. Where would it be and you just run it to check or update certificates? Do you run that tool for each browser you use?

Mathwiz    24

Heinoganda's certificate update tool downloads the latest root certificates into the Windows XP certificate store (used by IE and Chrome). It's a good idea to run it every month or so, since these don't get updated by the POSReady '09 hack.

Other browsers such as FF have their own root certificate stores that won't be updated by his tool.

Note that the XP certificate store doesn't support certificates signed by the ECDSA algorithm - one of the reasons we needed a workaround for web sites using these.

ProxHTTPSProxy stores its root certificates in a file called cacerts.pem (for folks using it as a workaround for outdated security in their browsers).

monroe    51

OK ...yes I know about that tool and my certificates are up to date from Nov 2016 ... I believe that was the last update I'm aware of. I don't use that tool ... there's a member who supplies a download if you PM him ... I get the updated certs that way.

I thought you were talking about some other certificate type of thing.

... had to check my downloads ... 5eraph Roots Certificates (Nov 2016) ... I get the download from 5eraph.

Edited by monroe
add

JodyT    136

I would say it be prudent to just stick with current browsers (where the going version is the product discussed).  So only these would qualify.

SeaMonkey v2.46

Firefox v51.x

Cyberfox v51.x (although not officially supported, it fully works)

Midori v0.5.11

Maxthon Cloud Browser v5

Lunascape v6.15

Dooble v1.56c

Avant Browser 2016 (**** just don't use Trident ****)

QupZilla v2.0.1 (the last release was six months ago - so try to confirm if this is currently active)

For those wanting a native browser for Windows XP x64 Edition, Waterfox (which claims compatibility) hasn't run properly since v46.x, so that may now be a dud. :(

Edited by JodyT
More Browsers to Add

JodyT    136

What I wish could be revived is a really simple browser, like Arora.  That was just a straightforward, classic looking browser.  I remember QT-Web being nice too.

sdfox7    156

I have found that simply spoofing the web browser version is enough to make the outdated browser "current." Meaning that webmaster are creating artificial walls in order to get people to upgrade.

For now I have resorted to spoofing the browser. I got Firefox 50 running on Windows 2000! :D Except that the site I've chosen to detect my browser incorrectly detects that I'm running Flash Player 22, even though I'm running the current, up-to-date 24.0.0.194.

ff50spoofw2k.jpg

ff50spoofw2k_2.jpg