MSE For Vista Now Shows XP Nag Screens

Jody Thornton

Seems to me nobody did the test: in any case, here is bona-fide MSE v. 4.4.304.0 x64.
The x86 can be found at FileHippo, in case anyone wants it.
I'm sure curious, too. Then again, I don't even have Vista, so I cannot test it personally.
In case it runs without nag, @heinoganda can probably figure out how to get it to update.

9 hours ago, dencorso said:

Seems to me nobody did the test: in any case, here is bona-fide MSE v. 4.4.304.0 x64.
The x86 can be found at FileHippo, in case anyone wants it.
I'm sure curious, too. Then again, I don't even have Vista, so I cannot test it personally.
In case it runs without nag, @heinoganda can probably figure out how to get it to update.

I confirm that this works on my Windows Vista Ultimate X64 SP2.

thanks

fff.jpg

@dencorso wrote:

> Seems to me nobody did the test

Apologies, I am indeed on Vista Home Premium SP2 x86, but am currently running Kaspersky Internet Security, which is incompatible with MSE :(. Windows Defender is only used for on-demand quick scans...

It would've been a hassle for me to test MSE:

1. Uninstall KIS, then reboot.

2. Use Kaspersky Removal Tool (all settings are lost), then reboot.

3. Install MSE, then reboot.

4. Do various tests with MSE.

5. After I was finished testing, I would uninstall MSE (possibly aided by MSE Removal Tool ) then reboot.

6. Then go through the trouble of re-installing and reconfiguring KIS (another reboot required), followed by a lengthy definitions update with possibly another reboot required after that...

So, a definite NO-GO it was for me... :rolleyes: Just some additional info:

On both following official MS links for MSE:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14210/security-essentials-download

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201

Vista SP1+ (both 32 & 64bit) "appears" to be supported :huh:. Both those links fetch the current client version of MSE, which is 4.10.209.0 - is this the one reported broken by @Werewolf at this previous post? I presume they disabled it via a definition update, am I correct? Version 4.4.304.0 reported as working by @segaklon has a digital signature from October 2013; is this version good/efficient enough? And how was 1) its definitions update performed, 2) itself prevented from upgrading to 4.10.209.0 ?

Apologies for being a pest, I just want to establish what my options are when my KIS licence expires...

Regards

Edited by VistaLover

Hi @VistaLover , the version 4.10.209.0 does not work, this deactivates the MSE completely, the version I posted that if it works is the same that still works in XP.

I installed it and it was updated as I said without any problem, what is not updated is the version of the program or it does not happen to 4.10.209.0.

Not only 4.4.304.0 is the same version that still Works on XP but, in view of @segaklon's screenshot, it's updating by itself (as it should) and is getting the Engine Version 1.1.13704.0, which is safe and good (we get that on XP, too). So, I'd say it's as safe as it can be, nowadays, and a way to keep using MSE nag-free. Great news! :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Believe it or not, MSE can still be downloaded and installed on Vista. I've attached screenshots. Oddly enough, I haven't gotten a nag screen, even after definition updates.

Screenshot notes:

Microsoft's website still lists Vista for the download, not just 7.

The installer did, indeed work.

Just to verify that it is Vista, I've inserted a screenshot of my system specs.

And, lastly, the application running on Vista after a reboot. Not to mention, I tried this out with an older installer on an XP machine the other day and it still could fetch the newest definitions.

vistashow.jpg

vistall.jpg

verify.jpg

running.jpg

On 8/12/2017 at 12:14 AM, TechKitten 360+ said:

Believe it or not, MSE can still be downloaded and installed on Vista. I've attached screenshots. Oddly enough, I haven't gotten a nag screen, even after definition updates.

Screenshot notes:

Microsoft's website still lists Vista for the download, not just 7.

The installer did, indeed work.

Just to verify that it is Vista, I've inserted a screenshot of my system specs.

And, lastly, the application running on Vista after a reboot. Not to mention, I tried this out with an older installer on an XP machine the other day and it still could fetch the newest definitions.

vistashow.jpg

vistall.jpg

verify.jpg

running.jpg

it takes a while before nagging i think,not sure though

Edited by burd

• 1 year later...

Just to confirm, I've installed MSE 4.4.304 on each edition of 32-Bit Vista over the past couple of weeks, applied the reg hack and manually updated the defnitions from the MS Website and it seems so far to stop it updating MSE to anything newer than 4.4.304 and keeps t.he definitions updating correctly, if that changes i'll make another post, but if not everyone can assume it's working fine.

Unwanted MSE client upgrades are only possible if Windows Update is set to "Install updates automatically," hence no real need for any registry change on Vista. If you check for Windows updates manually and are offered an MSE upgrade, you can simply Hide the update. I don't think there will ever be another MSE upgrade: version 4.10.209.0 is already more than 2 years old and support for Windows 7 will end in January 2020. I would presume that MSE definition updates will also end at that time, although some bright person might perhaps devise a way to convert Windows Defender updates.