Win7 don't boot after from AHCI to IDE switch in BIOS

Laaca

Hi! I have HP Pavilion dv6 notebook. It uses the AHCI mode of drives handling and my Win7 work OK with it. Now I found a way how to modify the BIOS to allow to change the AHCI mode into IDE mode. I have some reasons why to do it - sometimes I experiment with various hobbyists OSes and also FreeDOS which I sometimes boot feels better with IDE setting.

So please dont't respond me to simply keep the AHCI setting.

However after switching into IDE the win7 booting unsuccesfully ends in the first loading screen and the computer restarts. I expected this behaviour, though. My question is: The reinstalation certainly helps. But is necesarry the whole reinstalation with rewritting of all system? Or there is some possibility of limited instalation like "fix the booting problems"? Or the installation CD is not necessary at all and it can be solved in some other way?

And last question: Can I expect big performance slowdown or the effect will be rather negligible?

17 minutes ago, Laaca said:

And last question: Can I expect big performance slowdown or the effect will be rather negligible?

I don't know the answer to your other questions, but I do know the answer to the quoted one: the performance slowdown is negligible.

2 hours ago, Laaca said:

change the AHCI mode into IDE mode.

Go back to AHCI mode temporarily.

Boot Windows 7,
open the registry HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\services\pciide
set start=0

Enable IDE mode again.