I just put together a new system

ASRock Z170 Pro4S
MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Intel Core i7-6700K
ADATA Ultimate SU800 512GB 3D NAND 2.5 Inch SATA-III Internal Solid State Drive
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Seagate BarraCuda STBD3000100 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
Cable Matters Active DVI-D to VGA Male to Female Adapter

My problem is that I am trying to connect a VGA monitor to the 1050Ti. ( hence the Active DVI-D to VGA Male to Female Adapter.)

I have got the the system working well with my 32" TV as monitor 2 and A crappy 15" analog LCD display as monitor #1.

Unfortunately I can not get any of my other VGA monitors to work. They come on, show a background raster but no display, not even from BIOS.

NVIDIA never detects the new monitors when I plug them in.

I was thinking that if I could get the system to boot on my TV (HDMI) I could then go to the NVIDIA control panel and have it detect my display.

Unfortunately it seems that to do this I would have to change the monitor number of my TV from 2 to 1 so that I could boot on the TV.

Does any one know how to get this system to recognize another VGA monitor?

Old system in sig.

Ya it's been 10 years.

PS: when I was putting this system together I was using the 32" tv as A monitor as I did not have the active adapter. I then used my smallest monitor to continue building

once the adapter arrived.

Thanks, Bob

Edited by RJM

I got it to work with a 2005 17" Dell crt monitor ( just plugged in and detected ), now why won't it work with my 2007 Philips 109B65/27B 19" crt monitor?

Edited by RJM

Hello Bob,

I believe you are out of luck, as most analog signals are being removed from new video cards. Convertors from DVI-D / HDMI to VGA are as expensive as a good used screen that has digital inputs. My personal opinion is, drop the analog screens and look for some good used (or new) ISP/VA panel screens on craig-list; eBay seems to have less and less interesting deals on used computer parts.

I'm using a 40" 4k screen on a nVidia 1060 card and dropped the dual screen setup I had before.

-Ronald

I'm not sure why it did work on the other, might be that it doesn't use the sync on the green color, and has it's own sync. My mind is getting rusty so let's see if others can tune in here.

Edit: By the way, those cheaper (10USD) "active" adapters don't do much "active".

Edited by puntoMX
Add a comment.

I have the DVI  to VGA convertor and am wondering why it only works with some monitors?

I don't think it's a sync problem as the background raster comes up after about 7 seconds and goes away after 30.

Edited by RJM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video_sync

It has something to do with the way the screen image is using a sync. I'm sure that the Dell screen was more expensive than the Philips, wasn't it?

Edit: One screen must use a different sync, the green sync isn't used for some time now (darn we are getting old :P):

"Separate sync: Uses separate wires for horizontal and vertical synchronization. When used in RGB (i.e. VGA) connections, five separate signals are sent (Red, Green, Blue, Horz. Sync, Vert. Sync).

Composite sync: Combines horizontal and vertical synchronization onto one pair of wires. When used in RGB connections, four separate signals are sent (Red, Green, Blue, Sync)."

Edit 2: Background raster = desktop background image I presume? I put my money on a sync loss than. Another thing might be that the resolution is too high for the monitor (at a certain refresh rate).

24 minutes ago, RJM said:

I have the DVI  to VGA convertor and am wondering why it only works with some monitors?

I don't think it's a sync problem as the background raster comes up after about 7 seconds and goes away after 30.

Link to monitor specs.

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/1/109b65_27b/109b65_27b_pss_aenus.pdf

seperate sync (positive or negative), or sync on green.

It also  works with a crap emc 15" LCD monitor.

I'll post specs on the Dell and the EMC if i can find them by tomorrow.

The Dell is a E771P can't find good specs on. works.

The EMC is actually a Radius RAD5c. works.

http://www.dbmsinc.com/products/kds-radius-5.html

Another Dell monitor I have Dell S1909WNf 19-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor also will not work.

Thanks for your help

Bob

Edited by RJM

Further investigation suggests a pin out problem. I got my computer to recognize the TV as number 1 monitor and primary monitor. I can now plugin the 17" Dell to the DVI to VGA

active adapter and have then desktop and tool bar appear with the monitor plugged in and working, unplugged completely, or unplugged from the AC.

As soon as I plug the 19" Philips into the adapter (AC unplugged) the toolbar disappears and all programs open on the non working monitor.

I will investigate further.

Bob

I did some more testing today, I hooked the active adapter ( which does not have the four pins for analog video) up to the digital output on an old P3 computer and all four monitors worked! I guess I'll have to ohm out the pins on the working and not working monitors to find out whats different. or make an RGB + H and V sync only adapter.

It gets more strange. The two monitors that work on by new build have 5V on the VGA connector pin#5, and produce a voltage on P16    (hot swap pin) on the DVI plug of the active adapter. All the wiring diagrams for VGA connectors that I've seen say this is All Ground, except for the attached diagram.

Now how to implement this?

I guess the easiest way would be to cut open the cable from the adapter to the computer and cut the wire from pin 16 to the adapter then add a 1K resistor from the wires at the computer side pins 14( 5V ) and 16( Hot Plug ). Then it should work with anything.

Arg!

Comments?

VGA-pin5.png

Edited by RJM

Well, I connected the 1K resistor between pin 14 (5V) and pin 16 (Hot plug detect) in the DVI-D cable going to the active adapter and cut the wire after the resistor from pin 16 to the active adapter. Odd, now when I power up the monitors that did not work I get a raster that stays up(They did not stay up for more than 7 sec before)  but no video, the other two monitors still work.. This is odd because all four monitors worked on an old P3 Win7 computer with  a different GPU and the active adapter.

Next I'll try reconnecting the wire that I cut from the resistor to the adapter.

Edited by RJM

Success!, mostly.With the 1K resistor installed between pins 14 and 16(+5 Red, Hotplug detect black) with no wires cut now all 4 monitors work on my new system through the active adapter (Cable Matters Active DVI-D to VGA Male to Female Adapter). But now no monitors work through the adapter on the old P3's digital output. Well the old one has VGA outputs also, so I don't need the adapter.

Posted in-case anyone  else has this problem and are told

On 1/19/2017 at 0:09 PM, puntoMX said:

I believe you are out of luck

Thanks for trying to help puntoMX

Edited by RJM