Windows 7 on a Kaby Lake laptop

greenhillmaniac

KB4012218 and KB4012219 are patches with CPU detection

If you recently bought a new PC or assembled one yourself with a new CPU and decided to install Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 on it, you will not be able to update these operating systems. Microsoft is not going to deliver updates for you any more. This was recently announced. A newly released set of patches brings the CPU detection feature to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

ttp://winaero.com/blog/kb4012218-kb4012219-patches-cpu-detection/

Both updates will prevent your operating system from downloading and installing updates if you have one of the following CPUs:

Intel seventh (7th)-generation processors (Kaby Lake) or later

AMD "Bristol Ridge" (Seventh generation) or newer

Qualcomm "8996"

alacran

Edited by alacran

Yeah, I heard of the news. Frankly, I'll just keep installing the IE monthly updates, the Malicious Software Removal Tool and the Flash updates, without installing the Security Only updates for now. I'm adopting a @NoelC style approach of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

• 2 weeks later...

Assembling a Intel Core i7 7700 7th Generation (Kaby Lake) on a Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H motherboard with Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64. After installing about 250 updates a warning comes out that is not compatible and I must switch to an operating system specially designed for the processor... Windows 10 of course! And that will not install "important security updates", total lie, since it does not install anything else, including .NET Framework and Office 2010 updates.

Searching for the best approach found:

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/the-whack-a-mole-approach-to-running-windows-7-on-newer-machines/

And zeffy's momentarily solution:

https://github.com/zeffy/kb4012218-19

Because I pay and want to use Windows 7 until January 14, 2020 (End of extended support) :) Not because M$ wants to make more money!

On 28/4/2017 at 8:36 PM, didadocom said:

... the Microsoft blockade ...

Heh heh, guess that whenever I run Windows 7 on Ryzen that will make me a blockade runner ... ... I like how that sounds.

HdAn8W3w.png

I had fun trying to install windows 7 (32 bit) on a skylake cpu.  It says it's an "Intel Core i5 Quad 6600K (Skylake) 3.50GHz [R0]".

The usb did not work, but i used a ps2 keyboard to install it.  Then to get the usb to work, i had to install the driver from the mobo cdrom.  But this required a mouse.  I browsed the cdrom for a likely suspect and installed that, after that, it worked a treat.

I've even got the five gig ramdrive working.

18 minutes ago, os2fan2 said:

I had fun trying to install windows 7 (32 bit) on a skylake cpu.  It says it's an "Intel Core i5 Quad 6600K (Skylake) 3.50GHz [R0]".

The usb did not work, but i used a ps2 keyboard to install it.  Then to get the usb to work, i had to install the driver from the mobo cdrom.  But this required a mouse.  I browsed the cdrom for a likely suspect and installed that, after that, it worked a treat.

I've even got the five gig ramdrive working.

That's a sixth gen Intel CPU. Those aren't affected by the patch blockade.

KB40914 - Fix for Microsoft Pop up - Unsupported hardware message

Also of interest:

... Microsoft stated that they would not be supporting Windows 7 or 8.1 on next-gen Intel, AMD and Qualcomm processors.

That is essentially a giant middle finger to anyone who dare not "upgrade" to the steaming pile of garbage known as Windows 10. Especially considering the extended support periods for Windows 7 and 8.1 still have a few years left, and will be ending on January 4, 2020 and January 10, 2023 respectively ...

... Luckily, there are a couple of different ways to kill this CPU check by patching wuaueng.dll ...

https://github.com/zeffy/kb4012218-19

• 2 weeks later...

i know the thread is mostly on kaby lake but im hoping even cannonlake can work "fine" on windows 7 as that's what i would like to use as my next system possibly. the windows 7 experience scores would be nice to see :).

• 1 month later...
On 17/05/2017 at 8:09 PM, cov3rt said:

the windows 7 experience scores would be nice to see :).

I'm now using Windows 8.1, so the only way to show you the scores would be to run the "winsat /formal" command and paste the resulting XML file.

Also, some good news! The fix for Windows Update as mentioned by @TELVM now supports memory patching, which means no OS files are modified and it runs as cleanly as possible. I've tested it on my laptop and it worked!

If anybody's interested, here are some drivers for Kaby Lake that I found working for 7/8.1 (used to be 10 exclusive):