Fat Buttons

Flogisch

What do you mean by "fat"?  That the minimize and restore buttons are the same width as the close button?

That's a characteristic of Win 10, even when re-themed.  As far as I know, there's nothing you can do to change it.

I find reducing the height of the title bar through changes to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics] makes them feel a little more integrated...  I took a pixel off the top and bottom as well when I made my theme atlas, so they look like they're inside the title bar instead of on the edge.

CaptionButtons.gif

-Noel

No one said Windows 10 is going to be well-integrated.  The downside of Microsoft not publishing nor following any UX standard is that they just do whatever the hell they want any more, which leads to inconsistency and fractured appearances. 

We do what we can with re-theming and theme atlases, but make no mistake, it's getting worse and worse.  As time passes these antics we undertake with Aero Glass and Classic Shell and all the other 3rd party applications will become less and less workable, until one by one we just give up.  Microsoft has already sealed its fate.

-Noel

True. They still haven't fixed this neither: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/windows-10-file-explorer-scroll-bar-keeps-jumping/11c11063-569d-4b37-97ea-68a438b5dff4?auth=1

And judging by certain answers in that thread, they never will. Why bother when the user can just turn off bug provoking feature?

Microsoft Answers is all too often "the blind leading the blind".  They tend to ban anyone with half a brain who tries to help, because they can't help but be honest about the state of Windows 10, and Microsoft doesn't want that kind of honesty.  It embarrasses them.

From that thread:

• Might be a virus.  Try a Clean Boot.
  • Might be Cortana.  See if you can find a way to block it from running.
  • Changing desktop background plus Automatically pick accent color from background (the actual answer).
  • Pages of "thanks!  I can't believe that worked!"
  • Then, more and more "it didn't work for me", and back to "maybe it's this" or "maybe it's that".
  • Plenty of well-meaning advice stating "Microsoft, you're blowing it, you should do better".
  • Evidence of deleted posts by people banned into A.User oblivion by Microsoft's mods.

I can't believe there isn't one engineer at Microsoft who cares enough about the product to just take on problems like this and fix them.  But they probably do care; they're just blocked from doing work that isn't sanctioned by their management.  It must really suck to be an engineer there and be treated like a machine.

-Noel

3 hours ago, NoelC said:

I can't believe there isn't one engineer at Microsoft who cares enough about the product to just take on problems like this and fix them.  But they probably do care; they're just blocked from doing work that isn't sanctioned by their management.  It must really suck to be an engineer there and be treated like a machine.

I just remembered about the quote from here: https://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html

You're right though, if you love working on these things, you'll definitely want to perfect your code.

About that bug that is triggered when new accent color must be taken from the new background, whatever kind of refresh in Explorer it causes, it's not the same as when you hit F5 key. This one puts the scrollbar back and isn't triggered if you're in the middle of renaming a file.

There are some nice little things there and there; task view, new action center, ability to use mouse wheel to scroll in inactive windows. Did anyone notice new GUI for editing PATH environment variable? :D Other things just make no sense at all, eg. what was the point of removing GUI for editing and ordering WiFi connections? Windows 8 and 10 have to be the only OSes in existence where you can't access these settings in a normal fashion.

On 10/2/2017 at 8:39 AM, Flogisch said:

Hey there !

I'm using ThemeAtlas files, but somehow i have huge buttons. Does anyone know a fix for this ?

https://gyazo.com/4f2cadc77511c9d42baaea4a2e6eb8fd

https://gyazo.com/ce5c56a80bda8e6572f7f8715eb298f0

I don't know if I understood correctly what you mean, but those buttons can be easily resized with Winaerotweaker:

df301e59b2001f3a052148e9f7c84b1126a7aada3a143b0431031efa8919448707e9d6cefe5373ad

Edited by carlitosoo555

If you want to have the minimum size allowed for those buttons you have to put 8 in "Font" and 10 in "Window title bar height", from there, you can play with those two values until you find the ideal size of those buttons, for example, my ideal size is 10 in "Font" and 18 in "Window title bar height", but each one has a different preference.
c77fe91ed35c57cd0c47c6e84a34ca0f53ad2440

This was already discussed here some time ago. Window caption height can be changed even with AeroGlass .layout file. The problem is that only height setting is respected by DWM and this value will be applied to width too.

I just compared default settings under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics between Windows 8.1 and 10. The only difference there is in a single byte in CaptionFont and SmCaptionFont settings. Applying Windows 8.1 settings gives larger font on 10. That is changing the first byte of said settings from F4 to F1.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes this was briefly discussed in the topic "Change the frame height" which is currently on page 3 of this forum. Also in the above post and image by Carlitosoo555, you can click on See in detail how this tweak works  when using Winaero Tweaker . There it will explain the tweaks, the registry tweaks and values ( if Applicable). Home page:   http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836

Edited by Alanrh