Ipv6 tunneling and Windows XP

FranceBB

Hi.

Every month, I follow a different course on MVA to keep myself updated about new technologies. This month, Microsoft Virtual Academy suggested me a course about ipv6 and I joined. They were talking about benefits of ipv6 over ipv4 and about applications switching between ipv4 and ipv6 automatically, like mail clients etc. During demos, they were using Windows Server 2012, and they suggested to update Windows 7 and Vista with the Readiness Update, and that only Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 have native Ipv6 support. As to Windows XP, they briefly said that Microsoft never implemented a full ipv6 support and that "it's time to move on", while they said "you are in the wild" for Windows Server 2003.

Anyway, even though I don't have group policy and all the other fancy stuff, I decided to enable ipv6 via the old fashioned netsh, but when I try to access an ipv6 site, it fails to load. My ISP supports ipv6. Any thoughts? Is there a way to use ipv6 (whenever possible) in Windows XP?

Edited by FranceBB

@Sampei.Nihira Well, thanks, but I already configured ipv6, in fact, it works flawlessy within the intranet, but it doesn't work in internet.

As you can see, ipv6 is configured and I got both an ipv4 and an ipv6 address. Teredo Tunnelling is configured as well as 6to4 interface.

So... the question is: what am I doing wrong? Why do I get an ipv6 address, but testipv6.com fails to detect it (and ipv6 only sites don't work?).

dos.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just a user, but even using MSIE 8, [edit: even using MSIE 6!]  I now often see IPv6 addresses in the status bar when loading Google, so it just works for me when Web browsing at least.

Not sure if that is even what you are talking about but that is my experience!

Edited by ThomasW
add info

Ok, just a few tests.

The first link is provided by Microsoft to check that the ipv6 is working fine as it's the IPV6 Task Force; if your ipv6 works fine, you will see the turtle swimming, while if it doesn't, then the turtle it's gonna be a static image: http://www.nav6tf.org

The second test is with this website: http://ipv6-test.com

Thanks!

Looks like my system fails both tests, although the second one say my ISP doesn't support IPv6.

Strange after seeing IPv6 addresses loading in the status bar! (Usually on Google.com but Wikipedia too I believe)

It is strange indeed!

I don't know of an IPv6-only Web site, but you'd think those tests would be accurate.

All I have for you is this screenshot (check out the status bar).

I have witnessed this on Wikipedia and increasingly on Google.

Wikipedia gone IPv6!!!.PNG