Can't delete Intel-related file (OpenGL issue)

Nomen

I've got a win7 Professional SP1 64 bit with an issue relating to Open GL.  The machine has 3 accounts: Administrator, User-1, and User-2.

The "Administrator" is the Built-in account.
User-1 is a member of the Administrators group.
User-2 is a member of the Users group.

A program that makes use of Open GL runs correctly under the Administrator account, and under User-2. But under User-1, the program window is displayed with a white background (which makes it unusable) but otherwise the program runs and displays no error messages.

There doesn't seem to be a way to endow a system with Open GL functionality except by way of the video drivers, and some answers (or suggestions) to this issue are to re-install or update the drivers. But presumably the system is using the same drivers under all 3 user accounts.

In running the Intel video driver install program, it says that it can't access or write to a folder (c:\ProgramData).  The system periodically tries to update adobe reader, and this too fails and I think it also has an issue with the same folder.  I've tried to delete the Intel folder within the programdata directory, but I get stuck when dealing with this:

C:\ProgramData\Intel\SUR\QUEENCREEK\inteldata\temp\2017_02_15__16_10_18_standard.etl

I simply can't delete that file. Even when logged in under the administrator account. When I look at the file's properties, one thing I get is: Unable to display current owner. If I try to take ownership (as the admin) I get "unable to set new owner - access is denied". I've downloaded FileAssassin v 1.06 from malware bytes, and have checked the "delete file" box, but when I hit the "Execute" button I get "An error occurred in function Delete file. FindRemoteFileHandles returned NULL value. This may affect deletion of file. Please report this error to the FileAssassin support team". I hit ok, and get another message box: "The file could not be deleted!".   I can't even copy that file to anywhere.

I don't know how "Queencreek" is related to intel. I thought it might be a name for one of their graphics chipsets, but the wiki list of Intel GPU's doesn't show anything named Queencreek. There seems to be a town in Arizona with that name, again don't know if Intel has a facility there or not.

In the above path, other than a log file in the \inteldata folder (which I was able to delete normally) there are no other files present in any of the other folders under \Intel\.

It would be nice to fix this OpenGL issue, and it would be nice to know how to take control of files and folders on your own god damn PC (like you can on win-9x/me) and I don't know if that is part of this OpenGL problem (ie - fundamentally a permissions issue related to OpenGL files or folders).

It is likely not simply an ownership issue, I wouldn't be surprised if the file is locked/open by a process. I would run ProcMon and search for that file to see if it is open. And if so then you should be able to close the handle. That will then allow you do delete it.

• 1 month later...