POSReady 2009 hack not working...

i430VX

Hello, I'm Having trouble with the posready 2009 update hack for windows xp. I have unofficial sp4 3.1b installed. i still tried removing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded from registry, and of course, adding

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

I have fiddled around with windows update settings, and firewall settings. i get plain xp updates for things i recently installed, but dont get posready updates.

Make sure you don't have any of these keys either:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded (you said you removed this one already)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES

And make sure you've installed version 4.5 of the Windows Installer.

Mr.Presario, sorry, but this tweak works for everyone. If it does not work for You then following options are available:

1. You have incompatible system (Windows XP w/SP2 or Windows XP x64 [Windows Server 2003 x64], for example).

2. You still have one of the following incompatible registry tweaks:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded

Remember, it is impossible to remove these keys from Your (already booted) operating system. You should boot from Live CD with WinPE or ERD commander CD (or another OS installed on your computer if present) and use external registry editor (like erdregedit) to finally remove them.

Edited by Bersaglio
typo

okay... i loaded the hives into win7 regedit, and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded

were all not there, just like in windows xp regedit.

and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady was there with the correct dword value.

of course these weren't literally in hkey local machine , because i loaded the hive somewhere else.

i checked windows update again and got office 2007 updates but nothing else (i recently installed office 2007 compatibilty pack)

should i have a key called "mediacenter" with dword 0x00000000 in the hkey local machine\system\wpa folder? (i dont have xp mce)

perhaps there's a way to manually install the updates?

Screenshot_28.bmp

Edited by Mr.Presario

Update: YAY!!! reinstalling sp4 did fix the problem. i got 4 posready updates, which is a start. if memory serves me, it was sort of random how many updates i got per check.(my computers are weird)

Thank you all for your help!

:):):)