ZortMcGort11

every new computer interface SUCKS, sticking with winME

22 posts in this topic

First off, why is it so hard to find the tiny little "Sign In" thing to Log In here? The design of this website used to be nicer too, but I digress.... actually no I don't digress. Why does everything related to computers seem to be getting worse?

Well, I'm at the Library using god knows what version of Windows crap this is (probably 7), but I"m usingWord 2016, and it's the biggest, ugliest, stupidest pile of worthless crap I've ever seen in my entire life. Windows 3.1 and Word 6 were superior looking and working compared to this dreck. How does Microsoft get away with re-packaging the same absolute crap year after year, when it only gets more stupid and worse looking, and more clunky? I've had it with computers. They suck!!!!!

Windows ME (I know 2000 is similar, but it's not 100% the same as ME) was the zenith of a nice looking user interface and having intuitive and elegantly designed menus and screens. Why does everything on the computer now have the plain, barren, sterile, crappy, broken-looking, half-finished design of a cheap tablet or Iphone? And why is every stupid button so dang small too?

I hate new computers. I'm going to keep using my Windows ME computer forever. Ta Ta.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Maybe bookmark the login page?

2. Well, I can't find any major differences between Office 2016 and 2010 I use, other than the fact it's much uglier. Good job M$. I remember the good old days of Office 2000, simple, elegant, and still usable to this day.

3. Buttons are small, but there's plenty of white space EVERYWHERE! They force you to buy a 1080p monitor for no reason!

If only there were free patches for RAM, and modern browsers for 98SE, I would happily use 98SE daily. And the orgasmic start-up sound.

And I hate everything about Windows after 7. Too bad the whole UEFI/NVMe/USB 3.0 crap ruins Win7 by every day as it's not supporting those things fully like Win8+. And Win7 could run all those things, and DX12 if M$ cared...but they don't.

I hope in 2020 something will change.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's going to change in 2020?

1. You will probably need a 2160p monitor.
2. RAM Patches still won't be free.
3. Browsers will perform even worse.
4. UEFI will be even more pervasive.
5. Microsoft is going to care even less.

USB 3 has proven difficult to debug so no guarantees there.

I have no opinion on NVMe as I have no hardware, so it is a maybe.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rloew said:

What's going to change in 2020?

1. You will probably need a 2160p monitor.
2. RAM Patches still won't be free.
3. Browsers will perform even worse.
4. UEFI will be even more pervasive.
5. Microsoft is going to care even less.

USB 3 has proven difficult to debug so no guarantees there.

I have no opinion on NVMe as I have no hardware, so it is a maybe.

OFC nvme driver is universal and opensource . May be compiled for 9x but no guarantee.

UEFI is serious . It is well known thing to cause problem with 7/8.1 in kabylake board i donot known what will happen with 9x

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I liked interface of Vista/7. In fact, when I saw Vista, I understood that this is BEAUTIFUL!! And they had the best Start Menu ever. How could MS drop Aero and Start menu in 8 and 10?! That's when I was angry. Still using 7 at home.

"2. RAM Patches still won't be free."
:)))

"5. Microsoft is going to care even less."
Doubt it. Competition from Linux is growing, I think.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been using linux since last year, and it not bad. Slackware Linux in case someone asks. Its nice for the most part. Win 7 is the end of the line for me. I still use Win98/WinXP but not as much.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps i can add a few observations.

> Why does everything related to computers seem to be getting worse?

Because some companies like and want absolute control? (I remember when the IBM PC (with PC-DOS!) first came out in the early '80s... it was being touted as "Freedom from a mainframe -- a PERSONAL computer on your very-own desk! The ultimate in security! The ultimate in productivity!" :)

Also consider that the biggest segment of the bell-shaped curve is under the middle (the average, not the excellent). So if a business targets that segment for their product, they can potentially generate more profit. But the middle of the bell-shaped curve is... mediocrity. (The further out to the sides, the more of a niche market it becomes.)

Then there's also the ideology of planned obsolescence -- change for the sake of change. ("Hey, it's not anything personal, it's just business....")

> I hate new computers. I'm going to keep using my Windows ME
> computer forever. Ta Ta.

At work, we each have some recent version of Windows in our offices, but i only use it when i can't avoid it -- i do most of my work at home, using my pimped-up 98SE ("pimped up" meaning USP3, 98SE2ME, KEx, RP, IEradicator, DX9, etc). For the 1% of what i can't do with that, i have an auxiliary XP system... set to classic interface, of course. :)

Most of my students are using Macs....

> Windows ME ... was the zenith of a nice looking user interface
> and having intuitive and elegantly designed menus and screens.

Did anyone notice back when XP and its apps came out, how the standard interface/icons looked like illustrations from baby books? Chubby, round, simple-looking, soft pastel primary colors? I wondered what kind of message that was sending about users....

> I remember the good old days of Office 2000, simple, elegant, and
> still usable to this day.

And then there's the free Open Office v3.2.1 (2010) under KernelEx (or v2.4.3 (2009) on straight 9x):

http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/wiki/OpenOffice.org

No problems using it on my system!

> They force you to buy a 1080p monitor for no reason!

I have 19" 1280x1024 monitors that i set to a 1024x768 res desktop with large fonts -- this works well for me. I actually prefer 4:3 AR for doing work -- keeps info more centered, eyes don't have to keep moving back and forth, far left and far right over widescreen. Of course, 16:9 AR is a must for watching movies.

> Competition from Linux is growing, I think.

Linux has much going for it, but recent distributions are no longer targeted to run on "older, low-end" (now defined as late-2000 decade) systems. I remember when Linux used to brag about running on even ye olde 386 machine.... There *are* a few current "lite" distros that attempt to run on late-2000 machines.

Most of my students are using Macs....

- Doug B.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3.03.2017 at 2:34 AM, MrMateczko said:

3. Buttons are small, but there's plenty of white space EVERYWHERE! They force you to buy a 1080p monitor for no reason!

When did capitalism need a reason to sell anything? ;)

On 3.03.2017 at 2:34 AM, MrMateczko said:

I hope in 2020 something will change.

If the trend will keep, not for better. Major systems will be more like smartphones, if I can take a guess.

On 3.03.2017 at 3:07 PM, M()zart said:

Doubt it. Competition from Linux is growing, I think.

According to netmarketshare, not really. I has grown 1/3 of its current state within 2 years, but consumed Mac users instead of Windows share.

Actual  2,05% Is pretty close to the third sigma.

 Przechwytywanie.thumb.PNG.ec0062ab63af0c4fa2a431707547da84.PNG

1 hour ago, DougB said:

Most of my students are using Macs....

See above, It's actually getting better ^^.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still use Windows 2000 and Windows 98 on a daily basis. I'm in full agreement that new interfaces just plain suck. I hate the new interfaces where things have to be flat and boxy. Even the Google logo had to go from a nice looking depth to just a plain old flat color. BORING! I still use Office 2000 on both my computers, in the exception for Outlook 2003 on my Windows 2000 machine. We have Office 2013 via Citrix at work and I hate it. Not only does Citrix make Office sluggish, but Office itself is just so much harder to use. Word does have some cool new features to it for designers but there's no reason for the new interface. It's terrible and I have a hard time figuring out how to do familiar tasks. I was a whiz in Office, now I almost have to relearn everything. Another thing I hate that it seems everyone loves using is what they call the "hamburger" button for your menu options. Why? Why does three stupid lines represent your menu?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily against change, but I want to see improvements, not back tracking. Not only has Windows gone backwards, but so has web design as a whole. I used to pride myself in webpage designs and layouts and now all you get are generic colors, flat of course, with bulky looking boxes, and I hate tablet optimized websites, those are just plain stupid. I'm looking to start using Linux and learning it. I've used it before but never truly engaged in the learning curve of it. If Microsoft can't get their act together, which I'm sure it never will, and when my computers stop doing what I need them to do, I'm off to Linux land. I really can't believe with all the outrage in these new OSes that they really take feedback seriously. They collect what we think, and then build what they want.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 3/2/2017 at 10:32 PM, rloew said:

What's going to change in 2020?

1. You will probably need a 2160p monitor.
2. RAM Patches still won't be free.
3. Browsers will perform even worse.
4. UEFI will be even more pervasive.
5. Microsoft is going to care even less.

USB 3 has proven difficult to debug so no guarantees there.

I have no opinion on NVMe as I have no hardware, so it is a maybe.

I agree, rloew, i absolutely agree.

Not to mention the amount of bloatware included with new systems.

On 3/10/2017 at 2:45 PM, DougB said:

Perhaps i can add a few observations.

> Why does everything related to computers seem to be getting worse?

Because some companies like and want absolute control? (I remember when the IBM PC (with PC-DOS!) first came out in the early '80s... it was being touted as "Freedom from a mainframe -- a PERSONAL computer on your very-own desk! The ultimate in security! The ultimate in productivity!" :)

Also consider that the biggest segment of the bell-shaped curve is under the middle (the average, not the excellent). So if a business targets that segment for their product, they can potentially generate more profit. But the middle of the bell-shaped curve is... mediocrity. (The further out to the sides, the more of a niche market it becomes.)

Then there's also the ideology of planned obsolescence -- change for the sake of change. ("Hey, it's not anything personal, it's just business....")

> I hate new computers. I'm going to keep using my Windows ME
> computer forever. Ta Ta.

At work, we each have some recent version of Windows in our offices, but i only use it when i can't avoid it -- i do most of my work at home, using my pimped-up 98SE ("pimped up" meaning USP3, 98SE2ME, KEx, RP, IEradicator, DX9, etc). For the 1% of what i can't do with that, i have an auxiliary XP system... set to classic interface, of course. :)

Most of my students are using Macs....

> Windows ME ... was the zenith of a nice looking user interface
> and having intuitive and elegantly designed menus and screens.

Did anyone notice back when XP and its apps came out, how the standard interface/icons looked like illustrations from baby books? Chubby, round, simple-looking, soft pastel primary colors? I wondered what kind of message that was sending about users....

> I remember the good old days of Office 2000, simple, elegant, and
> still usable to this day.

And then there's the free Open Office v3.2.1 (2010) under KernelEx (or v2.4.3 (2009) on straight 9x):

http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/wiki/OpenOffice.org

No problems using it on my system!

> They force you to buy a 1080p monitor for no reason!

I have 19" 1280x1024 monitors that i set to a 1024x768 res desktop with large fonts -- this works well for me. I actually prefer 4:3 AR for doing work -- keeps info more centered, eyes don't have to keep moving back and forth, far left and far right over widescreen. Of course, 16:9 AR is a must for watching movies.

> Competition from Linux is growing, I think.

Linux has much going for it, but recent distributions are no longer targeted to run on "older, low-end" (now defined as late-2000 decade) systems. I remember when Linux used to brag about running on even ye olde 386 machine.... There *are* a few current "lite" distros that attempt to run on late-2000 machines.

Most of my students are using Macs....

- Doug B.

That's EXACTLY what i'm doing, Win 98SE for most of the stuff and on another Hard Drive Win XP Pro Service Pack 3 and when something REALLY won't run on Win 98 SE, even if i use KernelEX like Call of Duty 2, then i switch to Win XP Pro SP 3.

One question: when you installed Unoficial Service Pack 3 for Win 98 SE, did you lose the ability to read "help" files?

Edited by Tommy
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use:

Windows 98SE with my Patches for general use and development.
Windows XP SP3 with my Patches for browsing.
Windows 10 for the few websites that are not supported otherwise and experimenting.
Windows 95, ME, 7, 8, and Linux for experimenting.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rloew said:

Windows XP SP3 with my Patches for browsing.

So... that's something I wasn't aware of: what have you developed for XP SP3, if I may ask? :angel

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have developed a version of FILE64 for XP.
It lets me transparently handle Files larger than 4GiB on sections of FAT32 Partitions.
These can be shared with Windows 9x with FILE64 installed.
It can also be used to create a section of a NTFS Partitions using the same format.
Either type of section can be shared over a network between any combination of XP and 9x.

I also developed some tools that work in both 9x and XP to facilitate extending System DLLs.
Dibya is using some of them for his KERNEL32 extensions.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2017 at 10:32 PM, rloew said:

What's going to change in 2020?

1. You will probably need a 2160p monitor.
2. RAM Patches still won't be free.
3. Browsers will perform even worse.
4. UEFI will be even more pervasive.
5. Microsoft is going to care even less.

USB 3 has proven difficult to debug so no guarantees there.

I have no opinion on NVMe as I have no hardware, so it is a maybe.

I may have to take back what I said in #1.

You may need a 4320p monitor.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fido-X asked above:

> One question: when you installed Unoficial Service Pack 3 for Win 98 SE, did you lose the ability to read "help" files?

No, help files display fine on my system. But... two things i do that might make a difference:

1) The first thing i do after a *clean* install of 98SE is install Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 1, even tho i won't be using IE. I believe it contains some updated .DLLs that deal with help files (and other things). (Later on, i remove IE with IEradicator, but it wisely doesn't touch most needed system DLLs.)

2) Then on this relatively-clean system, i install the "Main Updates" from Unofficial Service Pack. (And when later versions of USP are released, i've never had trouble updating.)

Note that the USP Main Updates need to be installed separately -- by themselves. (Of course, other USP options can be installed later on.)

Also be careful *NOT* to install the "IE Core Files" option if you have not removed IE (with 98Lite or IEradicator).

Dunno if this info might help, but it might be worth a try.

- Doug B.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.