ZortMcGort11

every new computer interface SUCKS, sticking with winME

22 posts in this topic

On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 2:28 PM, Tommy said:

I'm looking to start using Linux and learning it. I've used it before but never truly engaged in the learning curve of it. If Microsoft can't get their act together, which I'm sure it never will, and when my computers stop doing what I need them to do, I'm off to Linux land.

On Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 2:38 PM, rloew said:

...Linux for experimenting.

Since the subject of moving to Linux came up... Many of you know I always planned to do this myself when Windows 9x would could no longer perform everyday tasks. I made the attempt once only to find that the Linux world was even more crazy about the constant update/upgrade cycle than the Windows world and I could no longer download new packages for my distro version of choice after only 3 or 4 years. So I came back to Windows and decided to tolerate XP for a while. Even decided I maybe can stomach Vista at the utmost end of need...

But, I've just recently discovered an extremely nice little Linux distro that is dedicated to providing a classic user interface experience and long-term release support (long-term for Linux at least). With a few clicks on this system and it's provided tools/wizards one can have a desktop and Start Menu that's almost a perfect mirror of the Windows Classic UI (or XP "Lego" UI if you prefer). It's been many years since I could say I was impressed by any operating system - but now I can finally say it again. Have a look at Q4OS. :)

Oooh, this sounds exciting! I just might have to give it a spin and see what I think about it. It's hard to replace my main OS since it's my server as well.

Also, not to derail the thread even more, but is there really a reason to keep updating your Linux distro except for security updates? I noticed they have a lifecycle as well but is it a requirement or just recommended?

Posted (edited)

I keep my linux updated. Although building a lot of updated packages myself is very time consuming.

SLACKWARE.JPG

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 10:39 AM, Tommy said:

Oooh, this sounds exciting! I just might have to give it a spin and see what I think about it. It's hard to replace my main OS since it's my server as well.

Also, not to derail the thread even more, but is there really a reason to keep updating your Linux distro except for security updates? I noticed they have a lifecycle as well but is it a requirement or just recommended?

Well, updating is not a "requirement" of course but one inevitably faces the same issues all of us have faced when trying to run older Microsoft OS'es. Sooner or later things stop "just working" as they should if you don't update. Now with Linux, you can in theory build your own packages from their source code (as PC mentioned in passing) and depending on your level of knowledge can probably keep things going for a long time.

The main issue I see with Linux is the potential for a situation known as "dependency hell" - wherein a newer package, say "Firefox" for example, will require a newer version of some other package, say "libsomething1" and subsequently "libsomething1" will depend on a newer version of "libsomethingelse2" and so on ad infinitum. A blessing and a curse with Linux - every package is independently developed but interdependent on other subsequently independently developed packages. So in other words if you want to update "Firefox" on an "older" Linux installation you should be prepared for a potential cascade of dependency problems.

Repositories of files and packages targeted for a given Linux distro version also have a tendency to disappear over time as newer versions are produced, and since packages are interdependent it can make it very difficult to find working packages for an older distro if you didn't archive them.

All that being said I still believe Linux has promise, especially given the direction Microsoft is going. We may all end up there eventually, lol. :}

My granny still on 98SE/NT4/XP with classic theme

I was looking at Q4OS.  Do they use Debian repositories or software packages?  I like the idea of installing it to an ARM device, but I'm not sure what Debian build is needed for that.  I checked out the link that Q4OS provided, but there are a few ARM entries.

19 minutes ago, JodyT said:

I was looking at Q4OS.  Do they use Debian repositories or software packages?  I like the idea of installing it to an ARM device, but I'm not sure what Debian build is needed for that.  I checked out the link that Q4OS provided, but there are a few ARM entries.

AFAIK it uses mostly Debian repositories for everything other than some Q4OS-specific components and for certain packages where a later version may be more preferable, such as the Trinity Desktop package. It's based on Debian stable. 8.0 "Jessie" I believe, I'm not up on Linux codenames. :lol: