Unraid VM and Win98SE - GPU passthrough.

ruthan

I won, i just tested Unreal Tournament 99 demo, Quake 3 demo and Diablo demo and its working with Geforce 7950GT passthrough.

I have to install Unfociial geforce drivers not from installer, but from some zip some and through have a disk option and inf file, from this post:

USB - passthrough is working only for USB2 port and i have sometime i have got freeze and i need to do few restarts (because of USB is not working in safe mode and system protection error in first boot after crash) , to proper boot again..
and i few time i had to do, change GPU to VNC Cirrus make to changes and reboot and use Geforce GPU again

Present problems:
- some Windows explorer freezes during file operations - file coping is slow and mouse is froze for 5-10secs, i dont know if is just Win98 "feature" or some QEMU problem, i just have vanilla Windows 98 installation,
i would like to install some Win98 update rollup if is avalaible. I have using OLD 320 GB 3,5 HDD, maybe with some SSD it would be much faster.
   Update: HDD speed fixed throught enable DMA options for HDD in Device manager.
   I know that there are lots of unofficial patches for Win98, but i would like to have much compatibility what is possible.
- USB to LAN adapter still not working, so i have to add files through mounted ISO CD drive and WinISO utility - it requires reboot
- games in Dos mod, i have tried Doom 2, from sound i can tell that game is running, but i have got, out of range monitor message, im using HP LCD 24 LCD - LP2475w
probably need some proper INF driver for Win98, driver is avalaible only for Win2000+ . Maybe could help some Powerstip inf generator magic, but i forgot almost everything about it.
- i have tried - NVcheck, but i have got some 1 line string and freeze, so i have only not installed any 512MB patches
- Safe mode is working only with VNC -Cirrus driver and USB keyboard passthrought not working for F8 - booting menu. Would be nice disable somewhere that, about crash is Safe mode default boot option.

Questions:
1) Is there something like Fraps or HW info for Windows 98? Just for checking system load and FPS?

But for Windows 98SE gaming it is already good enough

In attachment is my Unraid settings.

Here is my problematic USBtoLAN - installation package it like, that is for all Win98+ windows all in one:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2741044/Windows-USB-to-Lan/Setup.zip 
 It can be installed and analyzed without device itself.
 I would buy other those here recommended are for US market and shipping price from Ebay sellers is usually around 25 bucks and i would take another month.

UnraidSettings.png

Edited by ruthan

You will need to get the VID and PID for the Device from the Registry.

Can you describe it with more details? When device is detected is detected like USB to LAN 10/100 adapter - but im asked to add drivers but i have only some exe to install them.. and even it is installed
autodetection is not working and if some inf installed or added to system i really dont know which files are for my adapter.

I did more games testing- Updated:
Quake 3 - runs 100% - 90 FPS. 1600z1200 - full details
Warcraft III - once 60 FPS, once 5-10 FPS - probably after some driver crash
Diablo 2-  50 FPS, once it run very slow, but now is running well
Doom 2 - i managed get it working, throught ALT+ENTER and back to fullscreen, but framerate was around 15 FPS
Diablo 1 2x times perfect, once 5-10 FPS, i dont know what is now changed..
Hexen 2 demo - OpenGL version is running well, after OpenGL32 replacement (from Windows\System) game running well
Heretic 2 demo - crash after menu, probably so OpenGL dll machine is needed, i wanst able to find out, which dll is for opengGl to replace it
UT99 - sometimes i start it and its FPS 10 FPS, sometimes is 60 FPS, probably depends what i do before, maybe i driver often broken after other action

Edited by ruthan

To find the VID and PID of an Unknown USB Device, run REGEDIT.
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ENUM\USB.
You will see a list of VID and PID numbered Keys.
Open each one and click on each Subkey. Disregard VID_0000.
Look at the DeviceDesc Value String.
If it says "Unknown" then you have found a Device with no Driver.

If you find multiple ones, you may want to go into Safe Mode and remove all Unknown USB Devices and then start again.

Just for info my HW:
Newest Unraid - trial is OK, booting from USB
- 1 Old 3,5 Seagate 320GB HDD for all unraid data, no parity driver, for VM is used only 10G
Geforce 7950GT - MSI NX7950GT-VT2D512 - PCI-E 512MB - passthrouth to Win98 VM
DDR 3 8 GB RAM signle channel, but for Win 98 VM is used only 256 MB
Z97 board - Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 - Because of VT-d support and lots of slots for PCI-E devices  // Only USB2 port forwarding is working, so USB3 is unless for Windows 98 unraid usage
CPU Intel i5 4440s - only 1 core is assigned for Win 98 machine
USB Audio - http://www.ebay.com/itm/182262415490?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT  -  just 2$ stuff with free shipping and driver is on Win98 SE CD
USB Lan - not working for now, but there people with working USB LAN in Win98 SE
   - import data to virtual to mounted ISO in virtualmachine, for ISO editing im using WinISO 6.1

Unraid settings:
- enable Virtual machine module
- look above, for boot from CD is needed, manualy edit Unraid xml to change boot device order  - for installation have to be used VNC gpu driver - can bypass not working USB until USB controller driver is
installled

Edited by ruthan

• 2 months later...