Win10 Image Backup

Youngwill

I want to create an image backup of a Win10 system that was upgraded from Win 7. I have opened "Backup and Restore" in the control panel and selected "Create Image Backup". I have also created a folder on my external harddrive for the purpose. While setting it up for the image, I find two curious things: 1. It does not find my folder on the external harddrive, but "wants" to put the image in root (I want to separate it from other backups). How can I get it to save into the folder I want? 2. My image will be of the C drive, but it insists that "RECOVERY" be included. I may be wrong, but my impression is that the upgrade from 7 to 10 did not change the win7 recovery partition. Am I correct and is this the same as the "RECOVERY" that will be included in the image?

Edited by Youngwill
Clarity

1. Make the image in root and then cut and paste it to the wanted folder (just the file's address will change, it will be instant no matter how big is the image).
2. I don't know how to exclude "RECOVERY" but including it in the image in case it gets corrupted isn't a bad idea (of course you may want to make one separate backup of it).

Edited by HarryTri

If I move the image into another folder, will the "recovery" program be able to find it if/when it comes time to use it?

I've looked using a partitioning program and see a 15 MB fat16 partition labeled "DellUtilities". A second partition is almost 40 GB ntfs labeled "RECOVERY". I don't know if the second is left over from Win7 or if the Win10 upgrade put it there. Is there any way to tell?

This may not be very accurate but see the date and size of Winre.wim and that may give you an idea when it was created, I'm on 7x64 Ultimate SP-1 my Winre.wim size is 162 MB (170,686,398 bytes)   Created on: ‎‎April/12/2011, ‏‎04:12:09 a.m. Modified on: Nov/20/2010 (I don't know how they can modify something before creating it, but it is what I got in properties), this is spanish version, so maybe a translator make a mistake.

alacran

Edited by alacran

3 hours ago, alacran said:

Created on: ‎‎April/12/2011, ‏‎04:12:09 a.m. Modified on: Nov/20/2010 (I don't know how they can modify something before creating it, but it is what I got in properties),

Loosely the attributes relate to two different "items" :w00t:

The "Creation date" is an attribute of the file in the context of the "current" filesystem.

The "Modified date" is an attribute of the file "in itself".

It is typical of a copied file from another volume/filesystem, depending on how exactly the file was copied (or saved).

Old KB on the matter:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/299648/description-of-ntfs-date-and-time-stamps-for-files-and-folders

jaclaz

22 hours ago, Youngwill said:

If I move the image into another folder, will the "recovery" program be able to find it if/when it comes time to use it?

If it doesn't just cut and paste the image back to root.