Aero Glass for Win8.1+ 1.5.3

I have no clue what is on Windows 10 Creators Update as I have been on RS3 for so long now.  I am currently running build 16226, and I must say they keep getting better, and better.  So, in Settings they now have these really cool effects.

screenshot_5.png

On 6/18/2017 at 1:42 PM, UCyborg said:

But I can't help but find this modern flat design just plain boring, especially compared to what we've got out-of-the-box in the past..

Well, Windows 10 is really easy to theme, and applying 3rd party themes is really simple given the proper instructions.  I have created a toolkit with much input from people on VirtualCustoms.  If you pm me I can give you the link.  It works for every build of Windows 10 except x64 builds.  I am running RS3, so I am way ahead of the game so far as transparency is concerned.  I actually haven't had any transparency in quite a while.  It is not necessary even though it looks nice.  :)  Anyway, I am running Aeroglass as a Service.  It helps with the 3rd party themes.  Version 1.4.6.610 works really well on RS3, but again it has no transparency.  Believe me, transparency is not an integral part of the operating system.  Here is a screenshot of my System folder using a theme called Poison by Mr GRiM!

screenshot_6.png

Edited by dhjohns

7 minutes ago, Dreamweaver01 said:

Then, why do you need AeroGlass at all?
Try that theme w/out it and it will probably look the same.

-DW

It helps out with text rendering in the window frame.

That is difficult to do considering I am running 16226.  Aeroglass runs differently on each build.  Since a new build comes out roughly once per week or so I am constantly updating my Windows, or clean installing it as the case may be.  On this particular build I can not show you that behaviour as it does not exist.  I do run it with each build to see what is happening with Aeroglass.  I do know that with BigMuscle's new debug release I can achieve transparency, but at the expense of stability.  Not that the system goes belly up, but DWM goes belly up.  So, if you are patient, perhaps I can show you some visuals as they occur.

34 minutes ago, seb33190 said:

Yes I know or put it, but I no longer have application related to reading the key

You do not need to read it, you just put it in the Aeroglass folder, and restart.

@dhjohns
The theme you're using indeed looks good without glass effect. Just had to rant for a bit. ;) Right now, I only have Win10 on my laptop and I could live with default theme if I had to, but changing at least the title bar so it's not unconditionally white is a minimum must for me.

Have you guys figured out anything regarding window frame's standard 3 buttons, particularly, if it would be possible to make them the same size as they're on Win8.1? Their size is also constant on older systems, at least with default frame height, only title bar loses a bit of height when you maximize the window. WindowBlinds can somehow do it, but is there anything exposed at all in theme itself that would allow to change that part? I get really weird results by changing things with WinAero Tweaker.

What about the taskbar and thumbnail previews? Is it true that they're not skinnable without 3rd party software? I know these can be changed on Win8.1, though I still have default alt-tab window.

On 26. 6. 2017 at 0:25 AM, Dreamweaver01 said:
On 26. 6. 2017 at 0:22 AM, dhjohns said:

It helps out with text rendering in the window frame.

Example please
Thanks

-DW

You can change the color, center it and add glow effect. There are some other things if you take a look at the options in Aero Glass GUI. Glass effect is the main feature, but not the only one. It's also a must for themes with rounded window corners (Glass geometry radius).

So...  Here we are, a few years after the first release of Win 10, and a few more after the release of Win 8, and Aero Glass has become all but unsupported, with a few of us struggling to retheme Win 10 to make it usable and often failing (I don't consider a system where DWM crashes if you do things acceptable)...

I can't say I blame Big Muscle for losing interest.  I doubt he gets many more donations, and frankly fighting against every release Microsoft makes has got to be getting old for him...

Is it time to call Aero Glass for Win 8+ a Lost Cause with Win 10?

Sure was nice while it worked, and of course those of us keeping our hardware systems on older OS versions have a bit more life to live, but even those are time-limited.

-Noel

I'm not considering it a lost cause, but it does suck how Microsoft rolls out these big updates and breaks everything.    BigMuscle seems to keep trying, and the beta is running ok on pc. A few bugs, but not bad.  I imagine he'll get the final version done. 

Hopefully he sticks with it, and hopefully the neon thing brings back full aero support so we don't need aeroglass anymore.