KB3217877 update: reboot loop

ppgrainbow

Is anyone able to confirm this?

I'm currently running Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 x86 inside VMware Workstation Player 12 and when after I install the KB3217877 update and reboot, it results in a STOP error that can only be viewed for a fraction of a second and the Windows Vista guest OS reboots over and over.

Would it be possible to resolve this issue by fixing the security permission that caused Windows to fail to start or is it just another botched update that Microsoft needs to pull?

Press the Start Button + the PauseBreak button and at the left you will see advanced system settings,click on that,go to the advanced tab,click on settings under startup and recovery and untick automatically restart.
Once Done, Reinstall the update and see what error code you're getting and accordingly we can help you out.

:)

17 minutes ago, burd said:

Press the Start Button + the PauseBreak button and at the left you will see advanced system settings,click on that,go to the advanced tab,click on settings under startup and recovery and untick automatically restart.
Once Done, Reinstall the update and see what error code you're getting and accordingly we can help you out.

:)

I reinstalled update KB3217877 and the error still persists. I had to go to Advanced Boot Options select Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure and when Windows Vista attempted to start up, this is the BSOD error that I got:

C000021A.png

I suspect that this issue is caused after installing the KB3217877 optional update. :(

Edited by ppgrainbow

Hello :)

Running Windows Vista SP2 Home Premium x86 as my only OS here (Toshiba Laptop),

so not inside a Virtual Machine.

KB3217877 appeared on Windows Update as an optional update on Mar 22nd 2017;

it was at that time completely undocumented, so did not install it initially...

The following days various related articles appeared on line:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-update/vista-patch-kb3217877/4b622ea2-2050-436f-8e35-096d1dd0ce87

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/kb3217877-for-vista-and-windows-server-2008/

http://borncity.com/win/2017/03/23/update-kb3217877-for-windows-vistaserver-2008/

and finally M$ uploaded the relevant KB article at:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3217877/update-for-windows-server-2008-and-windows-vista-kb3217877

It was then that I decided to go ahead with the install, did it,

restarted laptop as indicated and do not have any issues whatsoever since...

It appears KB3217877 is an update to Win10 UCRT (KB2999226, file Windows6.0-KB2999226-x86.msu)

so make sure this is installed first in your virtual OS.

I am very sorry I can't help you any further, but MSFN does have very knowlegdeable members

that should be able to...

Regards

I think that I solved my problem here.

I had to reinstall Windows Vista Ultimate x64 late last night, re-apply SP1, SP2, IE9 and re-install all of the updates. I had to install KB3217877 first before installing all of the remaining 214 updates.

I can't confirm if the problem has been solved until after the updates have been installed and the virtual machine reboots successfully. Once it does, I will update my comment.

Update: Problem is solved now! :)

All updates have been installed successfully! I can only hope that due to uncorrectable problems with Windows Update under Windows Vista is that customers miss out on their last chance for a update in a event if Microsoft doesn't issue any security updates next month.

Edited by ppgrainbow