Is There a Good Way to Get UxTSB.dll Working with Win 10 version 1703?

My understanding is that the DWMGlass.dll component of Aero Glass for Win 8+ auto-loads UxTSB.dll if it's present.  We know that there isn't yet a compatible DWMGlass.dll for Windows 10 version 1703 - the Creator's Update.

I'd like to start experimenting with re-theming Windows 10 version 1703.

Is there an easy way to set things up to avoid the incompatible parts and just invoke the UxTSB.dll functionality?

If not, I imagine I could drop back to the older AppInit_DLLs method, possibly with one of the older theme signature bypass DLLs.

-Noel

Unless they changed something in the latest build, AppInit_DLLs should still work. Then you need to invoke the classic personalization control panel:

explorer.exe ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4BFE-8F11-A626DCB6A921}

If the latter is gone, you have to use Settings app to change the theme. For that to work, manually inject UxTSB.dll in SystemSettings.exe, AppInit_DLLs doesn't work for modern apps.

Alternatively, try and see if Aero Glass 1.5.2 without symbols works. Aside from DLL injection, some basic things like RoundRectRadius setting and caption text with glow might still work, at least it did for me on build 15063. You'll still have to use Process Hacker in case they removed the old personalization control panel.

Edited by UCyborg

AppInit_DLLs plus theme selection via explorer page invocation you coded work as expected.  I am able to load an Aero 7 theme successfully.

Trying to run the Aero Glass DLL led to DWM crashes and incomplete screen cleanup, even when symbol download was blocked, though I was ultimately able to facilitate a theme atlas replacement.

Next thing I need to do is get more familiar with theme development tools.  Up to now I've re-engineered just the graphic theme atlas files, relying on being able to find themes already built that have good looking controls (e.g., Sagorpirbd's Aero 7 theme) but I've always craved more control.  I'm not terribly fond of the Windows 7 look and feel in the title bars.  TBH I haven't looked at other available themes, though; I probably should.  I know a lot of folks have made themes and it's possible I could find one that already has good, skeuomorphic controls and an updated look.

Thanks, UCyborg!

-Noel

NoelC

Dreamweaver01

Does this new private-closed version UxTSB.dll still have "deskthemepack" BUG?

When you install any version UxTSB.dll via AppInit_DLLs, *.deskthemepack files can't be opened.

On 09.04.2017 at 7:39 AM, evgnb said:

NoelC

Dreamweaver01

Does this new private-closed version UxTSB.dll still have "deskthemepack" BUG?

When you install any version UxTSB.dll via AppInit_DLLs, *.deskthemepack files can't be opened.

This is a good question, BigMuscle! Will this bug corrected?

5 hours ago, bigmuscle said:

Probably not, mainly because you should not use AppInit_DLLs to load anything, because it can cause a lot of side effects when the library is injected where it should not be.

But UxTSB.dll injection via DWMGlass.dll often gives neverending logon bug. You as developer must do something with that. I only in 1 of my 3 computers can use UxTSB.dll injection via DWMGlass.dll, but on another 2 of them I have to use AppInit_DLLs method to work at all.

8 hours ago, CKyHC said:

But UxTSB.dll injection via DWMGlass.dll often gives neverending logon bug. You as developer must do something with that. I only in 1 of my 3 computers can use UxTSB.dll injection via DWMGlass.dll, but on another 2 of them I have to use AppInit_DLLs method to work at all.

I know about this and I would like to fix it, but I has not been able to reproduce it on any computer. Also the question is how many users are affected and whether it is really the bug.

12 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Any chance for updated version 1.4.6 with UxTSB.dll injection feature like the newer versions?

Yes, I could compile it, but I don't know when I manage it. Maybe in a week or two.

On 08.04.2017 at 6:14 AM, UCyborg said:

Unless they changed something in the latest build, AppInit_DLLs should still work. Then you need to invoke the classic personalization control panel:

explorer.exe ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0\::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4BFE-8F11-A626DCB6A921}

Where I can find all possible variants of these commands? I need classic variant of many dialogs. Can you share list of all the commands like this?

@Dblake1mentioned the possibility of accessing classic personalization panel in the other thread. I don't know if anyone made a list, you'd probably have to crawl through registry to find these things, assuming they're still there in the first place. In that command, the first GUID is the Control Panel, the second is the personalization panel. One common thing these entries seem to have at the first glance is the registry setting System.ControlPanel.Category (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{insert GUID here}). CLSID key has tons of other things. Anyway, I found the entry for the taskbar dialog, but it just opens the Settings app.

On 11.04.2017 at 7:36 PM, bigmuscle said:

Probably not, mainly because you should not use AppInit_DLLs to load anything, because it can cause a lot of side effects when the library is injected where it should not be.

exlude list in HKLM and HKCU per user? it's future request for AG.