Is There a Good Way to Get UxTSB.dll Working with Win 10 version 1703?

10 hours ago, bigmuscle said:
19 hours ago, CKyHC said:

But UxTSB.dll injection via DWMGlass.dll often gives neverending logon bug. You as developer must do something with that. I only in 1 of my 3 computers can use UxTSB.dll injection via DWMGlass.dll, but on another 2 of them I have to use AppInit_DLLs method to work at all.

I know about this and I would like to fix it, but I has not been able to reproduce it on any computer. Also the question is how many users are affected and whether it is really the bug.

May this bug coused by type of account? In both comps with this bug used local user account without password at all. In comp when injecting works used microsoft account with password.

11 hours ago, bigmuscle said:

I know about this and I would like to fix it, but I has not been able to reproduce it on any computer.

I haven't been able to reproduce it either lately.  My Win 10 system just boots up smoothly.  I have it set to auto-logon to my local account (via NetPLWiz), so it all happens together fairly quickly.

CKyHC, have you tried adding an arbitrary few seconds delay to the AeroHost entry in the Task Scheduler?  I have no confidence this will help, but I do remember one time quite a while back that I had problems with Aero Glass for Win 8+ at logon, and I remember adding a small delay gave me a workaround.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

1 hour ago, NoelC said:

I haven't been able to reproduce it either lately.  My Win 10 system just boots up smoothly.  I have it set to auto-logon to my local account (via NetPLWiz), so it all happens together fairly quickly.

CKyHC, have you tried adding an arbitrary few seconds delay to the AeroHost entry in the Task Scheduler?  I have no confidence this will help, but I do remember one time quite a while back that I had problems with Aero Glass for Win 8+ at logon, and I remember adding a small delay gave me a workaround.

-Noel

Difference is that my local account without password and logon starts automatically by Windows himself. I don't know how NetPLWiz make auto-logon. Maybe through non standart way or something else.

I try to know what produce this bug. And what differences between my main home comp and 2 other comps where the bug is happenes...

Tomorrow I'll try to add delay to start AeroHost.exe in Task Scheduller... Thanks for advice.

Tried to start AeroHost.exe after Windows started and logoned. Placed UxTSB.dll in folder with DWMGlas.dll and started AeroHost task. From debug.log I can see that UxTSB.dll is injecting into explorer.exe. But when it must be injected in winlogon.exe it causes the

[2017-04-13 10:43:07][0x23C0:0x1A94] VirtualAllocEx failed with error 5 - Access denied.
[2017-04-13 10:43:11][0x23C0:0x1A94] VirtualAllocEx failed with error 5 - Access denied.
[2017-04-13 10:43:15][0x23C0:0x1A94] winlogon.exe process crashed several times. DLL injection has been stopped.

Why DWMGlas can't inject in winlogon.exe and causes him to crash? That's the problem.

Finally! I find the problem that causes the bug with neverending logon! It was the ESET Smart Security! His HIPS system don't allow aerohost.exe process to change the system process - winlogon.exe! I just make the rule for aerohost.exe and now I will try to reboot!

Autologon starts to logon successfully. Now left 1 problem - when system quick logins, aerohost.exe often can't get in time to inject UxTSB.dll before unsigned theme is loaded. 2nd time is successful usually.

Edited by CKyHC

I suspected it might be some other software interfering, that's why I suggested safe mode with added Themes service and aerohost in the other thread. So it was system-wide VirtualAllocEx hook that prevented allocating memory in winlogon.exe. Maybe try srvany.exe trick again now and see whether that makes login always successful the first time around?

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

I suspected it might be some other software interfering, that's why I suggested safe mode with added Themes service and aerohost in the other thread. So it was system-wide VirtualAllocEx hook that prevented allocating memory in winlogon.exe. Maybe try srvany.exe trick again now and see whether that makes login always successful the first time around?

I think about this too. I think that quick logon can be unsuccessful if aerohost didn't have injects UxTSB in time. And unsigned theme can't be loaded and this fall back us to logon screen. But services loads earlier than tasks. Task Scheduler is the service itself. 1st it loads and only after that it starts to perform tasks. So service will load aerohost and injects UxTSB.dll faster than task...

At this moment I checking just that. Allready was rebooted about 10 times and every boot I try quick enter the password. All logons was successful for now. I'm sure that loading aerohost by task allready shows up the bug. Continue testing...

Ah, the 3rd party anti-malware software was the issue.  Thanks for letting us know.  I'm just using the default Windows Defender, which is why I didn't see the problem.

-Noel