Patches with CPU detection

alacran

KB4012218 and KB4012219 are patches with CPU detection

If you recently bought a new PC or assembled one yourself with a new CPU and decided to install Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 on it, you will not be able to update these operating systems. Microsoft is not going to deliver updates for you any more. This was recently announced. A newly released set of patches brings the CPU detection feature to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

http://winaero.com/blog/kb4012218-kb4012219-patches-cpu-detection/

Both updates will prevent your operating system from downloading and installing updates if you have one of the following CPUs:

Intel seventh (7th)-generation processors (Kaby Lake) or later

AMD "Bristol Ridge" (Seventh generation) or newer

Qualcomm "8996"

alacran

Once again Microsoft is trying to force people to upgrade. And again i don't see the technical background/issue that motivated that decision.

I personnly think that it's a pretty stupid idea and strategy. I don't think people will upgrade to windows 10 just because patchs don't install automatically through windows updates.

I suppose patchs will still be available through windows catalog or other ways.

OK Microsoft was more stupid than i though, in fact they locked the entire windows update service so people (including me) won't be able to manually install patchs.

Dism method (https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2011/02/15/how-to-use-dism-to-install-a-hotfix-from-within-windows/) seems to still work.

Edited by allen2

5 hours ago, allen2 said:

OK Microsoft was more stupid than i though, in fact they locked the entire windows update service so people (including me) won't be able to manually install patchs.

Dism method (https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2011/02/15/how-to-use-dism-to-install-a-hotfix-from-within-windows/) seems to still work.

I'd imagine someone will figure out how to reverse or bypass this nonsense. I would not be surprised if people bought machines that came with 8.1 that are being flagged with this nonsense.

This is the most foolish thing Microsoft has done in recent years. This will not make people downgrade to Windows 10, people will just run their machine until it no longer boots, if it gets held at ransom the average people will just stick to using their phones and tablets that run iOS and Android.

All this is doing is speeding up their Death instead of reversing it like Windows 7 did.

Winaero covered about April 2017 updates in this article: http://winaero.com/blog/new-cpu-lock-windows-restrictive/ I guess every rollup from Microsoft will include this artificial "lock" to break updating functionality so you can just turn off updates entirely for Windows 7/8.1 if running these 7th gen or later CPUs. I would still choose to run unpatched Windows 7/8.1 than to use the malware called Windows 10!

Edited by xpclient

It seems they also though it was usefull to get sometimes that popup stating that nonsence even when not using windows update or patching. I'm planning to use dism to update even if i have to do this offline.

But i'll have to find a way to disable this anoying popup.

On 4/14/2017 at 3:24 PM, allen2 said:

It seems they also though it was usefull to get sometimes that popup stating that nonsence even when not using windows update or patching. I'm planning to use dism to update even if i have to do this offline.

But i'll have to find a way to disable this anoying popup.

You won't even have to do that apparently. I've been doing some searching, and all you have to do is edit wuaueng.dll so that IsCPUSupported always returns true. Here's some information I found on it: https://github.com/zeffy/kb4012218-19

Edit: I just tried this myself, I have a newer update that changed the patch, so I made a patch myself. I can see Windows Update again and get any update I need again. Can confirm this works.

Edited by KelvinPoint
More Information

Of course, that could be a solution but i don't like modifying system files as this will break sfc and most likely some usefull dism commands.

The annoying popup have dispeared since i disabled windows update service and some windows update tasks.

This does not seem to affect older machines with, say, Core2Duo, Core2Quad, 6th-gen and older i3/i5/i7's, and their AMD equivalents. Is that true?

If it does affect those, then that stinks.

This kinda makes me not want to get newer hardware, though. Certainly nothing Kaby Lake or newer.

I only have Windows 10 in a VM so I can say I have it. I'm never going to use it as my primary OS.

c