Heads up! There are reports that even pre-Skylake processors are banned by updates!

RJARRRPCGP

Reports I saw on the internet so far:

1 reported getting that error message or a similar error message on an X58 platform!

Another reported the same or similar error message with an Athlon II!

And now a report from one with an Ivy Bridge!

This thread is related to this thread:

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

I have a Nehalem/Westmere-based 2009 Mac Pro (very old, I realize) with Windows 7 on it.

I shall boot it up sometime soon and check if it's affected by this new "feature".

Windows 8.x is also affected by this garbage, yes?

c

I think it's just crazy how Microsoft is now dictating which processors their products can run on. I can see if you're trying to install say Windows 10 on a 386, but as long as your processor can meet the basic requirements, it's ridiculous that they'd discriminate like this. Sounds like maybe they're trying to boost new computer/OS sales?

That is exactly what they are doing. Since the Windows 10 free upgrade happened and the sale of the Surface, it was the first time you could get an OS directly from Microsoft. It cut out the OEM and the normal OEM support. In the standard desktop space, OEM was king and retail was a very small number. But now with Windows 10, Microsoft is directly responsible for support. With this as their market aim, they would have no reason to want to support legacy OSes. All of their moves in the past few years are indications that they want to take a bigger chunk out of the OEM market. I also think that the CPU limitation doesn't have anything to do with the OEM or Retail channels, I bet that comes from the Enterprise channel instead.

28 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

... I bet that comes from the Enterprise channel instead.

You mean that actual Enterprise IT executives actually suggested to MS that they (MS) should drop support for the older (perfectly working BTW) machines they (the Enterprises) already have in order to be compelled to buy new hardware? :w00t:

;)

jaclaz

On 4/27/2017 at 0:42 PM, Tommy said:

... it's ridiculous that they'd discriminate like this. Sounds like maybe they're trying to boost new computer/OS sales?

Ex-microsoftie explains the reason:

Microsoft Drops Windows 7/8.1 Support for AMD Ryzen & Intel Kaby Lake CPU & Lies About It - BUSTED! *Language warning for those sensitive to it*

Edited by Tommy
Added disclaimer for language

That's exactly what I figured, not even just the phoning home issue but that they're doing everything in their power to make sure that people are pushed to Windows 10. Now, I couldn't give a big rat's behind about their crApp Store by any means so that feature is 101% useless to me. I'm a real techie that uses real applications and programs, not some stupidity that is trying to ride the trend wave. But yeah, the "fact" that Windows 7 cannot support new processes really is BS. It's not like Windows 95/98/Me and the more than a single core processor issue which is funny in itself because those OSs will still run on newer processors even if they don't take full advantage of them. So right then and there it should tell you MS is up to something fishy.

On 4/28/2017 at 11:03 AM, jaclaz said:

You mean that actual Enterprise IT executives actually suggested to MS that they (MS) should drop support for the older (perfectly working BTW) machines they (the Enterprises) already have in order to be compelled to buy new hardware? :w00t:

;)

jaclaz

Well not specifically, just that MS is more inclined to base their decisions on the market sector in which they make the most money from. When it comes to the current market, with more people not buying new computers (except for work or school reasons) and increasingly filling that gap with tablets or phones, the retail desktop market has shrunken incredibly.