Freezes at splash screen

Flizc

Hello, I got an HP netserver E60 that I'm trying to get windows 98 SE to work on.
I have installed windows 98 and when it comes to the last step when it's suppose to start and install all devices then it freezes at splash screen.
I succesfully manage to get it to go past that step by making a backup of the regestry and delete the enum keys in local machine. Then when it have started to add those parts again from the backup but then It starts to freeze at splash screen. I can enter safe mode.
When I try step by step boot it comes to msmouse.vxd and after I accept or deny it to start that nothing else happens.
I have tried to remove msmouse.vxd but that did not help either.
I have created a bootlog but I cannot find the problem there, only problems there is that it fails to load the font, I have replaced all the fonts and tried to fix it with tweakui, it didnt work.
I have changed RAM and that did not work.
I have removed the sound card and disable the onboard network card, didnt help either.
I'm running windows 98 on an 40gb SCSI harddrive thats connected to the onboard scsi controller, everything works if I try to install windows XP.
I have also tried to reinstall windows 98 SE multiple times with diffrent CDs.

SPEC:
CPU: Intel Pentium III 450mhz slot1
RAM: 128mb atm (will upgrade to 640mb)
GPU: Nvidia geforce 4TI 4200 NV28
Onboard SCSI controller from adaptec
HDD: 40gb SCSI
Optical drive: TSSTCorp DVD drive.
Mobo: HP netserver E60 stock motherboard.

EDIT!!!!!!

Have added the real bootlog here now. Added the one from safeboot first and did not notice that it was from the safe boot.

Bootlog.txt

Edited by Flizc

I have the exact model. You never specified the Video Card (AGP/PCI?) that you have installed. Max RAM is 1gb and shouldn't (not really sure) have an effect on install, but you could remove a pair to reduce (if you indeed have full capacity). Indeed, you didn't even specify how much RAM you have. The Built-In Network is irrelevant for Install (will show up as an "unknown". The Mouse/Keyboard are PS2 (Make Model you attached?). There are no USB ports. The were sold with Up To 20gb SCSI drives (you say you have a SINGLE 40gb - Make/Model?). I assume you have the BIOS set to boot from it? How did you Initialize it? It also has PATA (IDE) connectors - have you tried putting a IDE HDD in and installing to it instead? Every single TTF appears to have failed. This seems to be odd in the least. Is your Windows an "untouched" or has it been "integrated" with anything?

It may help if you give more specific specs than what you gave (other than what I already said). Just saying "E60" doesn't help much (does it have the last available BIOS?). Also, HOW did you install? Be very specific as to the method (direct CD Boot, Floppy Boot, etc) and sequence you used.

Comment - Next time put that Log in a ZIP or rename to TXT file and upload it rather than Copy/Paste. You cluttered up the post.

Mine (basically): 1gb RAM, Voodoo3 VGA, Dual PIII-550, CD-ROM, Pair of 10GB SCSI (NOT in a RAID Array), ISA Creative Sound, 3 additional Net Cards. XP Pro (ATM). Noisy as all heck (the SCSI and the Power Supply).

Thanks for reply. I really don't know the exact model as I do not have the original case. My specification is written above the Bootlog but I will include it in this post to :)
My bios version in PhoenixBIOS 4.06.26 PN.
An old DELL PS2 sk-1000rew keyboard and an USB mouse. 
The HDD is an HP 36.4gb SCSI drive model BD03695CC8.
I haven't tried with an PATA Harddrive yet, I would really like to use the SCSI drive.
The windows 98SE disks are untouch original OS no changes made.

I installed it by using a windows 98se boot floppy and formated the HDD from there and then I followed this tutorial https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/itspecial/helpdesk/pcclinic/knowledge/setup/Windows 98 installation.pdf
except I use the command setup /is to skip scandisk becuase scandisk warns me about badclusters and refuses to install then. But when I scan with programs on the ultimate boot CD there is no bad clusters on the HDD.
In safe mode I cannot find the DVD drive either.

I have tried the same method on virtual machines and those have worked directly with no trubble.

SPEC:
CPU: Intel Pentium III 450mhz slot1
RAM: 128mb atm (will upgrade to 640mb removed all but one incase it was a problem with the RAM and have been testing them all individualy)
GPU: Nvidia geforce 4TI 4200 NV28
Onboard SCSI controller from adaptec
HDD: 40gb SCSI
Optical drive: TSSTCorp DVD drive.
Mobo: HP netserver E60 stock motherboard.

Semi - random considerations/questions/doubts:

1) use a PS/2 mouse, not an USB one.
2) if scandisk finds issues on the disk/volume there may be a reason for them, which programs of the UBCD did you use to test the drive?
3) a test setup on a IDE disk drive would be only temporary to exclude a poissible issues with the SCSI BIOS extension and/or driver (this may be connected to #2 above)
4) the DVD drive is an iDE unit, right?

jaclaz

1: I don't own a PS2 mouse :/ same problem with mouse disconnected.
2: ViVARD and HDAT2 v5.3
3: True, will see if I got any IDE disks to test with.
4: Yes it's an IDE drive.

Vivard and Hdat2 should be at a "lower" level than scandisk, maybe the disk (physically) is fine, and the filesystem (as seen by Windows 98) has some issues.

How big is the partition you are trying to install to? (I seem to remember some scandisk issues with largish partitions in 9x, but cannot remember exactly, and submix8c's reference to 20 Gb original disks may have some relevance).

Which filesystem does it use?

Another test would be to make a small FAT16 partition (max 1 Gb in size) on the SCSI disk and trying installing the Windows 9x to it.

About the PS/2 mouse, really, you should get one, USB on Windows 9x is not (IMHO) reliable enough to have a primary interaction device connected to it.

Submix8c stated that that model has no USB port? :dubbio: Are you using an add-on card or maybe there is some confusion with the model at hand? :unsure:

jaclaz

Ah, maybe but I get the same error everytime from scandisk :/ 
The partition is an FAT32 36.4gb. 

Will try that and see what happens.

Yeah would be kind of handy to have an PS2 mouse.

There is 2 USB ports on the back of the motherboard so I think there is some confusion about the model

I made an mistake when copying the bootlog. Didn't think safe boot created an bootlog.txt file but it did, so the bootlog in my first post is from the safeboot.
After realizing my mistake I got my hands on the real one. I have included it in this post.

Bootlog.txt

Holy guacamole! I just went back and looked at my Everest report. There's USB ports "hidden" behind some silver tape. I don't know if this will help the helpers or not, but I'm attaching the Report (Text Version) that may/may not help. Note that I have extra NIC add-ins. I really don't have the time to hook the beast back up right now to test Win98 Install on it, but if your problem persists (with help from literal specs) I'll hook it up and try (time permitting). BTW, you have the latest BIOS.

Be aware, this is the "full" report (sans keys) for XP-SP3, so there will be a load of dross to ignore (ZIP file). Sorry, best I can do for now, but this should be accurate for OnBoard except for your "plugged in" peripherals (HDD, DVD, Video, etc) and any "shared" stuff you see (via my router).

BTW, thanks for waking me up on the USB thing (never paid attention, duh). (A topic that clued me in: https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-Netservers/HP-Netserver-E60-upgrades-question/td-p/312060 )

Edit - You darn well better check for resource conflicts as well in BIOS. (Kind of wondering about that HDD's compatibility, too - Got the Terminator on the end of the cable?)

ReportForMSFN.zip

Edited by submix8c

I also just remembered that I had this problem on Shiva for many years, but I had attributed it to having a custom splash screen. In a case where Windows would not boot, I would need to use escape key to cancel the splash screen. You may need a PS/2 keyboard for this.

For me, that issue went away after changing the video card.

Hooked it up. Unplugged the two 10gb HDD and popped in an IBM 4gb that I got from another old HP (had the Adaptec Add-in) Workstation. Used my LiveXP (WinBuilder) and had to use a Floppy to load the SCSI Driver (apparently disabled in the build due to SATA conflicts). Yep, Win98SE installed for a little grade school girl to learn and play on (various learning and... Barbie Game!). The Driver "drove me" nuts until I found a "TXTSETUP.OEM" set.

This was apparently a Windows 95 Upgrade. I finally managed to get it to boot. It found all kinds of "New Hardware" and had a heck of a time redirecting/cancelling since it was done directly from 98SE Upgrade CD. Backing it up now to "for fun" "Uninstall Windows 98 SE" (they left the "Undo" files on the HDD). I'm thinking they installed a Base Win95 (no "extras") to allow for Upgrade (unaware that you can "trick: it).

Still not sure how you went about FDISK/Format. You'd have to have a special Boot Floppy with the Drivers on it before you can use the CD. Also, it would have been real wise to set the SCSISelect (CTRL+A) parameters to Defaults, set the SCSI-ID on the HDD to LUN0, set all the other BIOS settings to Default (etc etc) and in the SCSISelect actually Format (Low Level) since there's a possibility the structure was different from whatever your HDD came out of. It would have shown the full size in there (AFAICR) if it fully recognized it. The HDD would have to be Wide/UltraWide (not LVD, AFAICT) SE 60-pin type with the Terminator set on the end of the cable (unless the HDD has built-in Terminator and should be set/jumpered and ON THE END OF THE CABLE). You SPECIFICALLY have to set which LUN# to boot from in SCSISelect (default is as I said LUN-0).

Some nVidia cards may/may-not play well with Win9x. Also, I'm not really sure that a USB Mouse would be recognized easily since the BIOS has no setting for "Enable Legacy USB" and NO SETTING at all for the USB Ports (they're just "there").

The BIOS has a lot of limitations (it's HP Phoenix) and quirks. SCSISelect seems to be a (nearly) fully functional Adaptec (Modded for HP).

You may want to get a PS2 Mouse and try using an EIDE HDD (older, since I believe the Controller is UDMA-33?) -or- check all of the hookups and settings (etc) that I described above for using your SCSI. MAYBE your Floppy Cable or the floppy itself is bad?

RUH-ROH!!! That HDD will (probably) NOT work! It's an Ultra-320 and doesn't jive with straight Ultra-Wide! May/May-Not be LVD.

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=3676381

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02171562

http://sanwork.com/hp-compaq-bd03695cc8-36gb-10000-rpm-68-pin-ultra320-scsi-3-5-inch-hard-drive.html

FWIW, here's the Installation Card (yours is listed - points to a Figure fur jumpers) -

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/c-products/servers/proliantstorage/drivers-enclosures/SCSI-hd-installcard.pdf

Seems to be made by Fujitsu (Model# = MAP3367NP)  and looks like Dell used them too-

https://www.amazon.ca/Fujitsu-MAP3367NP-36-4GB-HP-279785-001/dp/B00OH4CLHU

Better Jumpers settings/description (MAY be able to use IF it's set to non-LVD -and- 16-bit, but doubt it since it's U320) -

http://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/product/storage/pdf/AL_jumper_EN.pdf

You may just want to find a less-than-32gb EIDE or maybe a 20gb SCSI-Wide that works with that old horse and an older non-nVidia low-end AGP-4x. :( (in addition to a PS2 mouse). Otherwise, these old beasts are pretty decent but parts are really hard to find and may be expensive. I lucked onto mine. Heck, the going price for the 4gb is @ $50. :crazy: