Keeping An Eye On This: Classic OS ???

Jody Thornton

Are they only targetting XP level driver support, or are they planning on adding WDDM support? What are their long term goals? Does Chrome actually run on it? What kind of concrete changes to the ReactOS kernel have they made?

Dunno... Seems like a really young project to say if I'm excited or not.

Well it was a nice read ... thanks for posting. It won't hurt to follow the story ... I'm gullible to a large extent and I always like a good mystery.

Is this real or just a hoax ? ... It's April and I forgot to check any dates to see if this story broke on April Fool's Day.

• 2 weeks later...

This file is absolutely not trustworthy!

SFX Installer
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/f4bb8b6a0cee8c9fd27b797fbd9ed39326991161a5b6af9c153af1c961f72f3c/analysis/1493570826

Unpacked file from the SFX installer
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/4195efa73c95510301ae9ad066a27762253cbf8122a8e85171bc669d0c1ee54b/analysis/1493570999

:no:

Will check again later this file with Virustotal.

Edited by heinoganda

With Classic Notepad (ClassicOS Typewriter) I have noticed once but no abnormalities. Installer created with Inno Setup with the following extracted file:

"ClassicOS Typewriter.exe"
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/cf11b4ec78644e3f9e6736e05b236657cb7e2df4074faeb9ff3917de74869fc1/analysis/1493576893

In the Inno Setup script, there were also no abnormalities.

;InnoSetupVersion=5.5.7

[Setup]
AppName=ClassicOS Typewriter
AppVersion=1.0
AppPublisher=Macrosewood Inc
DefaultDirName={pf}\ClassicOS Applications For Windows
OutputBaseFilename=SETUPT~1.EXE
Compression=lzma
DisableDirPage=auto
DisableProgramGroupPage=yes
LicenseFile=embedded\License.txt
InfoBeforeFile=embedded\InfoBefore.txt
WizardImageFile=embedded\WizardImage.bmp
WizardSmallImageFile=embedded\WizardSmallImage.bmp

[Files]
Source: "{app}\ClassicOS Typewriter.exe"; DestDir: "{app}"; MinVersion: 0.0,5.0; Flags: ignoreversion 

[Run]
Filename: "{app}\ClassicOS Typewriter.exe"; Description: "{cm:LaunchProgram,ClassicOS Typewriter }"; MinVersion: 0.0,5.0; Flags: postinstall skipifsilent nowait

[Icons]
Name: "{commonprograms}\ClassicOS Typewriter "; Filename: "{app}\ClassicOS Typewriter.exe"; MinVersion: 0.0,5.0; 
Name: "{commondesktop}\ClassicOS Typewriter "; Filename: "{app}\ClassicOS Typewriter.exe"; Tasks: desktopicon; MinVersion: 0.0,5.0; 
Name: "{userappdata}\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\ClassicOS Typewriter "; Filename: "{app}\ClassicOS Typewriter.exe"; Tasks: quicklaunchicon; MinVersion: 0.0,5.0; 

[Tasks]
Name: "desktopicon"; Description: "{cm:CreateDesktopIcon}"; GroupDescription: "{cm:AdditionalIcons}"; MinVersion: 0.0,5.0; 
Name: "quicklaunchicon"; Description: "{cm:CreateQuickLaunchIcon}"; GroupDescription: "{cm:AdditionalIcons}"; MinVersion: 0.0,5.0; OnlyBelowVersion: 0.0,6.01; 

[CustomMessages]
english.NameAndVersion=%1 version %2
english.AdditionalIcons=Additional shortcuts:
english.CreateDesktopIcon=Create a &desktop shortcut
english.CreateQuickLaunchIcon=Create a &Quick Launch shortcut
english.ProgramOnTheWeb=%1 on the Web
english.UninstallProgram=Uninstall %1
english.LaunchProgram=Launch %1
english.AssocFileExtension=&Associate %1 with the %2 file extension
english.AssocingFileExtension=Associating %1 with the %2 file extension...
english.AutoStartProgramGroupDescription=Startup:
english.AutoStartProgram=Automatically start %1
english.AddonHostProgramNotFound=%1 could not be located in the folder you selected.%n%nDo you want to continue anyway?

[Languages]
; These files are stubs
; To achieve better results after recompilation, use the real language files
Name: "english"; MessagesFile: "embedded\english.isl"; 

Somehow I see no sense, why a notepad replacement?

:)

Edited by heinoganda

2 hours ago, JodyT said:

He has posted a ClassicOS screenshot, but makes you download an executable to view it?  No thanks.  I'm not falling for any tricks here.

https://www.xpforums.com/threads/classicos-screenshot-for-windows-xp-free-tool.933073/#post-3256499

Sheesh!  Like why couldn't he post a screenshot right in the thread?

It's a program to make a screenshot of your desktop and save it as bitmap, not an app to show a pic of ClassicOS.