When will there be a version for Windows 10 1703?

On 8. 6. 2017 at 6:05 AM, genecooper said:

Reverted back to non-areoglass since the beta seems to be to kicking in and out when I close certain windows.

Is there an easy non-random way to reproduce it?

Edit:

On 8. 6. 2017 at 6:05 AM, genecooper said:

I'm using the latest version of modernframe.dll and NoelC's rounded corners.

What modernframe.dll? There's only DWMGlass.dll, you register it with regsvr32 C:\AeroGlass\DWMGlass.dll command with admin rights. ModernFrame.dll is outdated and existed before everything was put in one DLL. It should be removed completely. It's not compatible with Creators Update and likely the reason you're experiencing said issues.

Edited by UCyborg

On 6/10/2017 at 5:13 AM, UCyborg said:

ModernFrame.dll is outdated and existed before everything was put in one DLL. It should be removed completely. It's not compatible with Creators Update and likely the reason you're experiencing said issues.

Is there any way to disable the AreoGlass transparency effects on UWP/Modern windows?  I've noticed it doesn't work well with UWP Apps that have custom tabbed title bars (like the Edge Browser). Also, many of us simply prefer the look of plain colored title bars on UWP Apps, especially when using the dark Windows theme.

Any help in disabling this one feature is greatly appreciated! :)

Edited by JTB3

15 minutes ago, JTB3 said:

Is there any way to disable the AreoGlass transparency effects on UWP/Modern windows?

Simply open Command Prompt with admin rights and type in:

regsvr32 /U C:\AeroGlass\DWMGlass.dll

Then log off and back on for the changes to take effect.

On 6/12/2017 at 3:14 PM, UCyborg said:

Simply open Command Prompt with admin rights and type in:

regsvr32 /U C:\AeroGlass\DWMGlass.dll

Then log off and back on for the changes to take effect.

Thanks for this info UCyborg!

Oh and BTW, I'm curious as to why/how de-registering the DLL only disables the modern/UWP frames and not ALL of the AeroGlass transparency effects? Can anyone explain this? :huh:

Edited by JTB3

21 hours ago, JTB3 said:

Oh and BTW, I'm curious as to why/how de-registering the DLL only disables the modern/UWP frames and not ALL of the AeroGlass transparency effects?

4 hours ago, Klamatiel said:

Because it was specifically made for that. Older versions used Modernframe.dll, then BM moved that function to DWMGlass.dll.

Correct, though where the functionality is implemented is not important, this is just for convenience. The interception technique that deals with UWP apps was also changed a bit.

The way things work on Windows, programmatically creating windows on Windows systems gives you a window with a standard frame with look and feel dictated by currently used theme, which is rendered by Desktop Window Manager. DWMGlass.dll's main functionality is acting as an extension for DWM that implements transparency, also lets you override theme atlas image so frames can get different look and feel without changing theme in Windows.

UWP apps are special, they render their own window frame using some sort of common framework, overriding what would be otherwise rendered by DWM. You'll also notice with these apps, if you look at the thumbnail image when you hover over an app's taskbar button, you'll see its window frame in there, while you won't see it for classic apps (unless they render window frame on their own). Traditionally, it has to do with separating window client area (contents) from the frame. Seems that line is broken when you do custom frames. Not related to appearance, but certain event sounds that may be set by user in Control Panel in Sound->Sounds don't play with UWP apps, while they do with Win32 apps.

Anyway, by registering DLL, you simply activate separate functionality that tries to reverse custom frame rendering, which is something very different from the main function of Aero Glass. Different technique is used to intercept things related to custom frames, hence this whole registration thing, not just starting aerohost.exe. Registration actually replaces registry entry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{DDC05A5A-351A-4E06-8EAF-54EC1BC2DCEA}\InProcServer32 containing the path to system ApplicationFrame.dll with the path to DWMGlass.dll. So when whatever COM interface that is used to render custom window frames for UWP apps is requested, DWMGlass.dll takes the charge.

Edited by UCyborg

49 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Correct, though where the functionality is implemented is not important, this is just for convenience. The interception technique that deals with UWP apps was also changed a bit.

<cut>

Very good explanation!

Thanks,
-DW

5 hours ago, Dreamweaver01 said:

When it's ready :unsure:

I agree that the update is taking an extended amount of time.  I'm not certain that this is BM's fault, and perhaps there is good reason for it.  It would seem that a project like this should move along more smoothly, but as I said I'm not sure what's involved.  I hope that we get some time to use the final version before we're back in the same boat with the September update.

Edited by genecooper

11 hours ago, genecooper said:

I hope that we get some time to use the final version before we're back in the same boat with the September update.

Is September update the one featuring Project NEON?

11 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Is September update the one featuring Project NEON?

Here's what I could find on it: https://www.pcmag.com/news/351711/microsoft-teases-project-neon-windows-10-ui-refresh.  Doesn't specify whether it's the September release or whether areoglass will be included.  I wouldn't bet the house on it knowing Microsoft.

Edited by genecooper