Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

Jody Thornton

20 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

KB4489887 was a March 2019 Preview in which build 6003 was first introduced. For those actually running Server 2008 SP2, such Previews were Optional updates. I don’t think any MSFN member running Vista installed it at the time, since the build number change was not noted here until April 2019.

About your BSOD: AFAIK those Win32k.sys BSODs were all attributable to applications that depended on version string “6002.” Even if you don’t use Avast/AVG, antivirus would still be my first guess. One MSFN member traced his BSOD to VMWare (see my link and read a few pages). If you can identify another program that was broken by 6003, I would be as interested as anyone. Since this seems to be the only Vista thread that new members want to read, I’ll mention that Avast solved their issue with a microupdate in June 2019. To install Avast 18.8 on 6003, I would try an online installer because the offline installer is older than the microupdate.

Today i've tested Vmware player on Windows Vista 6003. Here are the results: (I used an old Windows Vista virtual machine that had no updates installed)

First I installed Vmware player 6.0.4, than KB4493458 (not KB4493471). Hal.dll got upgraded to version 6003. After the installation had finished i launched a ready Windows ME virtual machine inside the Vista VM:1026737897_vmwaretest.thumb.JPG.a07b2c04f1eee969f780b347fdb8d766.JPG

It worked with no visible errors. I left it running for a few minutes and everything seemed fine. Of course I still don't know if it works on real hardware and all the updates between Vista EOL and KB4493458 installed.

On boot an "The "vmStatsProvider" can not be initialized. "vmGuestLib" returns error "VMware Guest API is not enabled on the host" (3)." error gets logged, but this is likely because i'm running one virtual machine inside another.

Edited by TSNH

3 hours ago, TSNH said:

Today i've tested Vmware player on Windows Vista 6003...First I installed Vmware player 6.0.4, than KB4493458...It worked with no visible errors...

I admire your zeal to investigate something that was reported April 25, 2019 by one member who now runs Windows 8.1. Are you thinking this report was “fake news” as Dixel might say? I was a little suspicious at the time, if only because no one else ever reported a VMWare issue whereas Avast/AVG users with exactly the same BSOD were posting far and wide. (The member lives in the Czech Republic, where Avast/AVG is based - possible motive?) But in fairness to a member in good standing, he posted some clarification about affected and unaffected versions on September 6, 2019 in a short thread that might interest you.

While searching for that, I went back too far and found something else that might interest you: Windows Vista + Intel Haswell issues: Documentation.

5 hours ago, TSNH said:

...KB4493458 (not KB4493471). Hal.dll got upgraded to version 6003...

So if that upgrade actually affects Vista issues on Haswell and newer, a security-only update might be just as effective as a monthly rollup. In that case, I would suggest testing with KB4499180 from May 2019, which Microsoft actually encouraged Vista users to install due to the BlueKeep scare.

22 hours ago, winvispixp said:

ive never had issues with vmware workstation player on build 6003 and i'm using it since may with the latest ex kernel

What version of VMWare workstation? Are you running 6003 solely because you installed the SHA-2 update KB4474419 (and perhaps the servicing stack update), which I believe is all the extended kernel requires, or have you also installed one or more monthly rollups or security-only updates released in April 2019 or later?

14 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

What version of VMWare workstation? Are you running 6003 solely because you installed the SHA-2 update KB4474419 (and perhaps the servicing stack update), which I believe is all the extended kernel requires, or have you also installed one or more monthly rollups or security-only updates released in April 2019 or later?

I'm running vmware workstation 10.0.7 just because a discussion a few months ago in the ex kernel thread lead me to believe that this is the best version (I know I can get newer versions running)

Updates up to Apr. 2017, KB4474419 v4, KB4493730 and rootsupd. That's all

On 10/21/2021 at 10:19 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

So if that upgrade actually affects Vista issues on Haswell and newer, a security-only update might be just as effective as a monthly rollup. In that case, I would suggest testing with KB4499180 from May 2019, which Microsoft actually encouraged Vista users to install due to the BlueKeep scare.

Actually I noticed that one of KB4039648, KB4474419 or KB4493730 (SHA-2 updates) contains 6003 hal.dll too.

On 10/21/2021 at 9:00 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

I admire your zeal to investigate something that was reported April 25, 2019 by one member who now runs Windows 8.1. Are you thinking this report was “fake news” as Dixel might say? I was a little suspicious at the time, if only because no one else ever reported a VMWare issue whereas Avast/AVG users with exactly the same BSOD were posting far and wide. (The member lives in the Czech Republic, where Avast/AVG is based - possible motive?) But in fairness to a member in good standing, he posted some clarification about affected and unaffected versions on September 6, 2019 in a short thread that might interest you.

While searching for that, I went back too far and found something else that might interest you: Windows Vista + Intel Haswell issues: Documentation.

Vmware is one of those must have programs for me. Maybe the problem reported by @Jaguarek62occurs only on certain hardware.

21 hours ago, TSNH said:

Vmware is one of those must have programs for me. Maybe the problem reported by @Jaguarek62occurs only on certain hardware.

I have no idea what happened here and why is everyone arguing and have no intention in joining any fights here. It was quite a long time ago with my dell latitude e6330 with i5-3340m. if I recall correctly the vmware service was giving me bsod but later it was fixed with some windows update. I have no idea when that was though. Btw I didn't even know that avast/avg was based in the czech republic LOL

• 4 months later...
On 8/11/2021 at 12:27 PM, nicolaasjan said:

Just curious if you or anyone else here has had continued success installing the monthly Server 2008 updates on Vista since August 2021. 

Edited by XPHomeSP3
typo

1 hour ago, XPHomeSP3 said:

Just curious if you or anyone else here has had continued success installing the monthly Sever 2008 updates on Vista since August 2021. 

go to mydigitallife forums

theres a thread where people still post things about server 2008 updates "Restore Windows Update for Vista"

• 1 year later...
On 5/16/2017 at 6:39 AM, greenhillmaniac said:

And here it is! The most awaited Vista repository with Server 2008 updates (atleast for the few people who care about the OS).

Included in here are updates for both x86 and x64 architectures, and all versions of .NET available for Vista, from 2.0 to 4.6.1. If there's anything missing, do let me know.

https://mega.nz/#F!txxRyLzC!1vBMGzMHiL864f3bl1Rj1w

I would like to direct a huge thank you to @VistaLover and @2008WindowsVista, for testing out the updates, and listing them in an easy to copy way :)

Is this compatible with Windows Vista SP2 Business ES-ES? or should I check for updates corresponding to my language (es-es)?

On 5/16/2017 at 6:39 AM, greenhillmaniac said:

And here it is! The most awaited Vista repository with Server 2008 updates (atleast for the few people who care about the OS).

Included in here are updates for both x86 and x64 architectures, and all versions of .NET available for Vista, from 2.0 to 4.6.1. If there's anything missing, do let me know.

https://mega.nz/#F!txxRyLzC!1vBMGzMHiL864f3bl1Rj1w

I would like to direct a huge thank you to @VistaLover and @2008WindowsVista, for testing out the updates, and listing them in an easy to copy way :)

Is this compatible with Windows Vista SP2 Business ES-ES? or should I check for updates corresponding to my language (es-es)?

• 3 weeks later...