Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

Jody Thornton

Does the 4.5 rollup update contain the updates for 2.0? Or they have to be installed separately? And is much difference between .NET 4.6 vs 4.5? Does it make greater compatibility of software of what?

It's good to have these updates working on Vista, as it should be expected. Now we have to maintain which updates are superseding earlier ones, next month.

On 5/18/2017 at 1:30 AM, greenhillmaniac said:

Well... in order to achieve that we would also have to:

• Port Intel USB 3.0 drivers
  • Port AMD video drivers
  • Port future nVidia video drivers
  • Get Google Chrome working
  • Get the lastest Office working

You know, small things :P

Nvidia GTX 1000 Series Drivers are available so i'd say its a good start,but for the rest we'll have to see what the future holds ahead.

1 hour ago, sanszajnrege said:

Does the 4.5 rollup update contain the updates for 2.0? Or they have to be installed separately?

Hello :)

As posted, if you search on Microsoft Update Catalog for KB4019291 - May 2017, Preview of the Quality Rollups for the .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2, 4.5.2, and 4.6[.1] for Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 - and click on download with Mozilla Firefox, in the pop-up that opens you get three individual links for

KB4014592: May 16, 2017: Quality Rollup for the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 for Windows Server 2008 SP2

KB4014613: May 16, 2017: Quality Rollup for the .NET Framework 4.5.2 for Windows Server 2008 SP2

KB4014606: May 16, 2017: Quality Rollup for the .NET Framework 4.6[.1] for Windows Server 2008 SP2

You'll have to download & install windows6.0-kb4014592-x86(or -x64).msu regardless, which is the 2.0SP2 update. Then, if you're on 4.5.2 you'll have to download & install NDP45-KB4014613-x86(or -x64).exe, else if you're on 4.6/4.6.1 download & install NDP46-KB4014606-x86(or -x64).exe

And is much difference between .NET 4.6 vs 4.5? Does it make greater compatibility of software of what?

I can't answer those questions :rolleyes:. I went for the latest installable version, which on Vista SP2 is 4.6.1. If you're on 4.5.2, as I see it you'll be prompted to update via WU to 4.6, the last officially supported version. As that is an in-place replacement of 4.5.2, all the 4.5.2 related updates will be uninstalled when you upgrade to 4.6, and then WU should offer you all the relevant 4.6 security and quality updates released for Vista until EOL, April 11th 2017. From then on, you should manually install all 4.6 released updates for WS2008SP2.

If you manually update from 4.5.2 to 4.6.1, WU will not offer you any further updates - see also my previous post here ; all further updates will have to be installed manually.

Now we have to maintain which updates are superseding earlier ones, next month.

The "source" link I referenced does have such info; e.g. on KB4019291 it states: "Supersedes: KB3216520 on Windows Server 2008". But yes, I agree it's a pain in the rear end to keep track of... :)

Edited by VistaLover

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. Nothing more to ask. ;) Looks like I've got newest version from WU, since I was April-then up to date. So it should be 4.6.

Regarding the superseding thingy, probably the kernel update superseded earlier one. I have to study it myself or with some guy from M$ forum. It's important if it comes to proper working of WU (you know, to reduce the checking for updates amount time). I'm curious if the Server 2008 kernel updates affects the WU also, when it comes to update after reinstalling system.

On 5/16/2017 at 6:39 AM, greenhillmaniac said:

And here it is! The most awaited Vista repository with Server 2008 updates (atleast for the few people who care about the OS).

Included in here are updates for both x86 and x64 architectures, and all versions of .NET available for Vista, from 2.0 to 4.6.1. If there's anything missing, do let me know.

https://mega.nz/#F!klBBXC5b!SJSY-VWBto55Ft63CrAgJQ

I would like to direct a huge thank you to @VistaLover and @2008WindowsVista, for testing out the updates, and listing them in an easy to copy way :)

You're welcome, and thank you for taking the time to create and maintain both update repositories, @greenhillmaniac. It's very appreciated :)

Hey boys thank you, it's since 11 april I hopefully search something like POSReady for XP could be implemented on Vista, as this working flawless for XP, so finally i found the stuff here. But it's not exactly what I expected:  I know that nowadays update come in monthly rollup version and so you have to search on Microsoft Catalog just once in a month for security/net framework update but i really would like to know if something in XP POSREADY style

Windows Registry Editor Version 6.0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\?????\??W2K8????]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

could be applied on Vista to still receive the Server 2008 update without doing it manually on MS Update Catalog site

Edited by Vistaboy

No, it's impossible in that way. The licensing system on NT6+ is token-based not the registry. You can only swap the tokens.dat with Server 2008 one, but you will end with entirely Server 2008 system (for example no MCE). Anyway, it would be too much hassle to swap it just for updating.

Generally speaking, by switching the tokens.dat you can go from and to every system edition, at least theoretically (the branding will stay the same as the base edition). That's how the early "activators" worked (preactivated tokens.dat from Ultimate edition copied to any SKU).

28 minutes ago, Vistaboy said:

windows vista update icon belongs to memories :) 

While I see you're referring to major security (and other) updates for the whole OS, I have Windows Defender enabled and I still see that "icon" pop up in the tray area to prompt me to install def updates for WD; and if you happen to have installed other MS products for which MS support is still ongoing, then, I assume, that WU icon in the tray area is still relevant... :P

18 hours ago, VistaLover said:

While I see you're referring to major security (and other) updates for the whole OS, I have Windows Defender enabled and I still see that "icon" pop up in the tray area to prompt me to install def updates for WD; and if you happen to have installed other MS products for which MS support is still ongoing, then, I assume, that WU icon in the tray area is still relevant... :P

Lately, I've dismissed WD i had problems with mse occupying randomly 50%-70% cpu :( and i get it as a further MS invite to leave Vista, but someday i came here :D

6 hours ago, Vistaboy said:

Lately, I've dismissed WD i had problems with mse occupying randomly 50%-70% cpu :(

Hi @Vistaboy and welcome to the MSFN forums :)

Obviously, this is not the right thread to discuss this, but... 

On Windows 7 and earlier, WD != MSE; I think when you install MSE, WD is disabled by default - WD is a sort of antimalware app, while MSE can be regarded as a full blown security suite :unsure:. While many 3rd party Security Suites can happily coexist with standalone WD (I know Kaspersky can, but even then it is advised you disable the real-time component of WD), MSE must be the only Internet Security Suite running on your system, to avoid conflicts...

And in the case of both WD & MSE, some higher CPU/RAM consumption is expected/justified during the time WU checks for (and installs, according to WU settings) definitions updates (usually once daily) and during the time a scheduled scan is performed. If you did experience quite random significant CPU usage due to MSE, then you should investigate possible conflicts particular to your setup...  Just my 2cent here...

sorry i didn't want to go OT, but i'm grateful for your support. As you have already guessed, i was speaking of MSE (i told it in a appropriate topic) and only MSE working beside EMET 5.2. The CPU increased usage driven by the update/scan was ok (as expected) but the bad is when occasionally that increase brought even to a BSOD. MsMpEng impact on CPU going from 50% -> 70% -> 90%-> 100% (1-2 minute hanging) -> BSOD!. Problem resolved with a quick MSE uninstall, leaving EMET and other free AV ;)

Edited by Vistaboy

• 3 weeks later...