Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

Jody Thornton

• 2 weeks later...

Source: Description of Software Update Services and Windows Server Update Services changes in content for 2017

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Non-security Updates

1. July, 2017 Preview of Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 4.5.2 and 4.6[.1] on Windows Server 2008 SP2 (KB4032116); MS Catalog link: KB4032116

This is a .NET Framework bundle update, that breaks down to the following individual ones:

1a: May 2017 (Yes, May) Preview of Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2008 SP2 (KB4014592); I haven't been able to find concrete info on why this was re-released; FWIW, if you have been following this thread, you should've already installed this as part of the May 2017 .NET FW updates, as outlined here ; no need to re-install if already inside your list of installed .NET FW updates.

1b: July, 2017 Preview of Quality Rollup for the .NET Framework 4.5.2 on Windows Server 2008 SP2 (KB4024845); if (by choice) you're still on .NET Framework 4.5.2, then this one's for you...

1c: July, 2017 Preview of Quality Rollup for the .NET Framework 4.6 (and 4.6.1) for Windows Server 2008 SP2 (KB4024848); if on .NET Framework 4.6[.1], that's the one for you (i.e omit the previous one). But be careful: It has another one as a prerequisite:

D3D Compiler Update for Windows Server 2008 SP2 (KB4019478)

You must first install (manually) KB4019478 (I wasn't asked for a reboot afterwards) and then proceed to install KB4024848; the latter took some time, but did install successfully (reboot required):

NFW461.jpg.029429c506121a064ebdc1895e72c8b5.jpg

PS: While file NDP46-KB4024848-x86.exe obviously pertains to .NET Framework 4.6, when actually running it one sees references to .NET Framework 4.7 (also, file version is stated as 4.7.2102.5); this has me believe it actually adds 4.7 features to the 4.6.1 installed version of .NET Framework (whereas, as you know, 4.7 itself won't install on Vista SP2).

2. Update for Windows Server 2008 SP2 (KB4019276); MS Catalog link: KB4019276

This is a most important update, as it implements TLS 1.1/1.2 support systemwide (to the whole OS); you can read more at MS's KB article. TLS 1.2 is the recommended standard for server-client authentication via the HTTPS protocol, recent Firefox and several other browsers already offer support for the next iteration, TLS 1.3.

One can't help but wonder why this wasn't offered earlier for the Vista OS (NT6.0), while it was still under Extended Support :rolleyes::angry::(; as said, it's a significant security and performance enhancement to the NT6.0 platform, making it overall more secure and robust, in tune with current tightened internet security implementations. :)

I will post a separate topic on how to enable TLS 1.1/1.2 support on Internet Explorer 9, Vista SP2 version - I don't have WS 2008 SP2 to check, but on my Vista SP2 Home Premium (x86) OS, just installing KB4019276 (and rebooting) wasn't enough :huh:.

KB4019276 requires a reboot afterwards, other than that it installed fine:

WU_20170718.jpg.27881fbde1d10077a96b7353cd385e38.jpg

On 7/27/2017 at 2:36 AM, VistaLover said:

Source: Description of Software Update Services and Windows Server Update Services changes in content for 2017

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Non-security Updates

1. July, 2017 Preview of Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 4.5.2 and 4.6[.1] on Windows Server 2008 SP2 (KB4032116); MS Catalog link: KB4032116

This is a .NET Framework bundle update, that breaks down to the following individual ones:

1a: May 2017 (Yes, May) Preview of Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2008 SP2 (KB4014592); I haven't been able to find concrete info on why this was re-released; FWIW, if you have been following this thread, you should've already installed this as part of the May 2017 .NET FW updates, as outlined here ; no need to re-install if already inside your list of installed .NET FW updates.

1b: July, 2017 Preview of Quality Rollup for the .NET Framework 4.5.2 on Windows Server 2008 SP2 (KB4024845); if (by choice) you're still on .NET Framework 4.5.2, then this one's for you...

1c: July, 2017 Preview of Quality Rollup for the .NET Framework 4.6 (and 4.6.1) for Windows Server 2008 SP2 (KB4024848); if on .NET Framework 4.6[.1], that's the one for you (i.e omit the previous one). But be careful: It has another one as a prerequisite:

D3D Compiler Update for Windows Server 2008 SP2 (KB4019478)

You must first install (manually) KB4019478 (I wasn't asked for a reboot afterwards) and then proceed to install KB4024848; the latter took some time, but did install successfully (reboot required):

NFW461.jpg.029429c506121a064ebdc1895e72c8b5.jpg

PS: While file NDP46-KB4024848-x86.exe obviously pertains to .NET Framework 4.6, when actually running it one sees references to .NET Framework 4.7 (also, file version is stated as 4.7.2102.5); this has me believe it actually adds 4.7 features to the 4.6.1 installed version of .NET Framework (whereas, as you know, 4.7 itself won't install on Vista SP2).

2. Update for Windows Server 2008 SP2 (KB4019276); MS Catalog link: KB4019276

This is a most important update, as it implements TLS 1.1/1.2 support systemwide (to the whole OS); you can read more at MS's KB article. TLS 1.2 is the recommended standard for server-client authentication via the HTTPS protocol, recent Firefox and several other browsers already offer support for the next iteration, TLS 1.3.

One can't help but wonder why this wasn't offered earlier for the Vista OS (NT6.0), while it was still under Extended Support :rolleyes::angry::(; as said, it's a significant security and performance enhancement to the NT6.0 platform, making it overall more secure and robust, in tune with current tightened internet security implementations. :)

I will post a separate topic on how to enable TLS 1.1/1.2 support on Internet Explorer 9, Vista SP2 version - I don't have WS 2008 SP2 to check, but on my Vista SP2 Home Premium (x86) OS, just installing KB4019276 (and rebooting) wasn't enough :huh:.

KB4019276 requires a reboot afterwards, other than that it installed fine:

WU_20170718.jpg.27881fbde1d10077a96b7353cd385e38.jpg

I cant install 90% of windows 2008 updates,is this because i have Vista Business Edition? Or Am I Missing Something

EDIT: it seems the antivirus was blocking the installations

Edited by burd

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Was just registering to thank all the contributors of this great thread for the time and effort they had put in to building such a valuable resource, when I noticed the sad news that MSFN is to close shortly :(

I found my way here a couple of weeks ago from a mention by JodyT in a similar thread over at Bleeping Computer, and was enjoying reading the wealth of info on the forums here. Seems like a nice community, I would've liked to have got to spend more time here.

If its okay, i have a couple of questions:

@ All: It would be such a shame for this thread to disappear, do you have any plans to continue it elsewhere?

@ greenhillmaniac: Thank you so much for uploading everything to MEGA. Any plans to keep updating the repository for the foreseeable future?

Warmest regards,

Ruan.

5 minutes ago, Ruan said:

Hi Everyone,

Was just registering to thank all the contributors of this great thread for the time and effort they had put in to building such a valuable resource, when I noticed the sad news that MSFN is to close shortly :(

I found my way here a couple of weeks ago from a mention by JodyT in a similar thread over at Bleeping Computer, and was enjoying reading the wealth of info on the forums here. Seems like a nice community, I would've liked to have got to spend more time here.

If its okay, i have a couple of questions:

@ All: It would be such a shame for this thread to disappear, do you have any plans to continue it elsewhere?

@ greenhillmaniac: Thank you so much for uploading everything to MEGA. Any plans to keep updating the repository for the foreseeable future?

Warmest regards,

Ruan.

Probably continue at Vistax64 forums and rebuild the community we share over there

1 minute ago, burd said:

Probably continue at Vistax64 forums and rebuild the community we share over there

Hi burd, thanks for replying :) .

That's really great news, I'll keep my eyes peeled over at Vistax64 forums.

54 minutes ago, Ruan said:

Hi burd, thanks for replying :) .

That's really great news, I'll keep my eyes peeled over at Vistax64 forums.

I hate to be frank.... STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM THAT FORUM!

I've met friendly, helpful people there before. There have been useful tutorials as well. But the administration left me with a very sour taste. I created a thread about 4 years ago regarding the-then upcoming EOL. I asked if anyone had the knowledge to create a 7/8 compatibility layer.

I was greeted with friendly responses, some expressing similar concern and ideas. But about 1 hour in, my account was terminated on the grounds of "Advocating illegal activity". I created a new account and contacted the board expressing my apologies for the misunderstanding. I was terminated a second time. I sent an email and never heard back. I caution using that forum, especially post EOL. Simply put, many of the projects you see here on MSFN simply wouldn't exist had this forum been a similar environment.

I've considered migrating over to BleepingComputer, but I'm not sure. I'm not convinced any forum can replace the mammoth of information and professionalism found here. The loss of MSFN is truly a tragedy.

Edited by 11ryanc

4 minutes ago, 11ryanc said:

I hate to be frank.... STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM THAT FORUM!

I've met friendly, helpful people there before. There have been useful tutorials as well. But the administration left me with a very sour taste. I created a thread about 4 years ago regarding the-then upcoming EOL. I asked if anyone had the knowledge to create a 7/8 compatibility layer.

I was greeted with friendly responses, some expressing similar concern and ideas. But about 1 hour in, my account was terminated on the grounds of "Advocating illegal activity". I created a new account and contacted the board expressing my apologies for the misunderstanding. I was terminated a second time. I sent an email and never heard back. I caution using that forum, especially post EOL. Simply put, many of the projects you see here on MSFN simply wouldn't exist had this forum been a similar environment.

I've considered moving other to BleepingComputer, but I'm not sure. I'm not convinced any forum can replace the mammoth of information and professionalism found here. The loss of MSFN is truly a tragedy.

Thanks for the heads up, 11ryanc, much appreciated.

BleepingComputer's quite a nice community, used to contribute there fairly regular some years back. They certainly don't seem to have any problem with the Vista EOL Update thread over there, but sadly it looks like the OP may have abandoned it. Not sure how BleepingComputer compares to MSFN though, as I (very unfortunately) am new here.

:)

4 minutes ago, Ruan said:

Thanks for the heads up, 11ryanc, much appreciated.

BleepingComputer's quite a nice community, used to contribute there fairly regular some years back. They certainly don't seem to have any problem with the Vista EOL Update thread over there, but sadly it looks like the OP may have abandoned it. Not sure how BleepingComputer compares to MSFN though, as I (very unfortunately) am new here.

:)

I have BleepingComputer news saved as a live bookmark/RSS. I've also used the forum in the past. I agree that it seems like a great place, but MSFN is very unique. I'm not sure it can easily be substituted. I suppose the transition will be easier if we all congregate in a single place and re-build from there.

I am also leaning toward BC. They seem like a nice community, and the website layout is similar to that of the classic MSFN layout, which I like. However, as others have pointed out, it's no MSFN, but no other forum is. I was also considering Ryanvm, but the activity there seems pretty low.

I was actually friends with Ryan back when the Vistax64 forums incident occurred, so I can back up his claims. I'm not trying to personally insult anyone there or damage the reputation of Vistax64 (the forum is filled with very useful information, and the majority of members there are friendly and knowledgeable), but the way Ryan was treated there back then was quite odd. This occurred sometime in 2013 IIRC so maybe their rules/policies have changed since then, but the forum seems to be more well-suited for "Average Joe" kind of users seeking solutions to basic problems, rather than more advanced and in-depth topics that would attract more experienced/enthusiast members.

As Ruan pointed out, they don't seem to have a problem with the Windows Server 2008 updates on Vista thread over at BC, so this is a good indicator that they're a little more friendly toward users of our kind. I will wait until Aug. 12 before moving my main topic (Last versions of software for Vista) over there however, just in case MSFN can remain online for some reason.

1 hour ago, 11ryanc said:

my account was terminated on the grounds of "Advocating illegal activity"

Well, if you indeed look at it from M$'s perspective, you shouldn't even be considering patching your OS after it has become EOL'ed - apart from Win10, which is sold as a service, previous Windows OSes can be likened to perishable goods with an expiration date - past that date, it should be thrown in the bin, not injected with preservatives :P ...

It would appear the Vista64 mods were somewhat more closely affiliated with M$, or simply thought in a similar vein, hence the blocking of your account...

Fortunately, threads like this and the one we're on attest to the fact MSFN mods think in a more liberal fashion...

Edited by VistaLover

Maybe it's an idea to create at least a simple web page with information about Windows Server 2008 updates on Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2012 updates on Windows 8 RTM? Information about installing them, links to repository on MEGA (If allowed by the maintainers). If more people like this idea, I will try to do this. We can also put more information on it (Windows 10 Privacy guide, Windows XP SP1/2/3 links, IE7/8 links).

MSFN was for me atleast, an unique forum where people are ok with each other when using an older Windows OS, where people try to keep using older Windows versions. MSFN is one of the few forums I have an account.

Edited by Stefan43

6 minutes ago, Stefan43 said:

Maybe it's an idea to create at least a simple web page with information about Windows Server 2008 updates on Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2012 updates on Windows 8 RTM? Information about installing them, links to repository on MEGA (If allowed by the maintainers). If more people like this idea, I will try to do this. We can also put more information on it (Windows 10 Privacy guide, Windows XP SP1/2/3 links, IE7/8 links).

MSFN was for me atleast, an unique forum where people are ok with each other when using an older Windows OS, where people try to keep using older Windows versions. MSFN is one of the few forums I have an account.

That sounds like an excellent idea.

What would be a good name for the site? I am going to put most important stuff on the site:

• POSReady 2009 updates on Windows XP
  • Windows Server 2008 updates on Windows Vista
  • Windows Server 2012 updates on Windows 8.0
  • Windows 10 Privacy Guide
  • Links to for example service packs
  • Important Windows 9x content

If anyone has something important, please tell me.

I take it August went well?  Hope so :)

I think what saddens me most about the end of the board is the history here.  Even go and look at some of the early Windows XP threads (prior to 9/11 even). It was a different time with different people on the board here.

And the oooodles of tips as well.  It's so sad.