Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
Tommy

Commercials You Hate/Trends in Commercials

Tommy    113

This thread is for anyone who is exposed to television and the inane commercials that are on them these days. Now if you don't watch TV or have a way of bypassing the stuff you don't want to see, you don't have to point out that fact. I'm just really curious from our members what commercials you hate or what types of trends in commercials that you seem to see all the time and drive you absolutely crazy.

I have commercials that I hate which I will list a bit later but some of the trends I absolutely cannot stand are people who are smug and act superior to someone else, like the Dole fruit cup commercial where these 2 groups of people are in the park and the one lady exclaims, "Oh look....they're drainers...." So what makes you think you're better because you drink the friggin juice, lady? The next trend I absolutely hate is how commercials have smartphones in them constantly, especially those that they don't even really need to be in or have nothing to do with the advertisement, but they're there just for the sake of being there. It's annoying! The reason I can't stand being in public is because of the obsession to those things, I don't need to see them at home too.

Another commercial I cannot stand is the Domino's Delivery commercials. For starters, I think ordering pizza online is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of and second of all, if you ordered a pizza, why aren't you home waiting for it? Instead this guy just runs through backyards and jumps over fences to get to his house before the delivery person (whose car magically changes color and shape from the first one seen) gets there.

Tripredacus    286

One I do not understand is on Twitter. There are promoted tweets, which are ads. If that promoted tweet has a video on it, sometimes then that video will play an ad first. It is too much for me to handle this type of situation. I block the accounts where that happens, except for NHL. <_<

Tommy    113

It seems that's in response to people using other outlets other than television. Companies are so desperate for people to watch their advertisements that they tack them on to videos you watch online as well. I wouldn't mind ads half as bad if they weren't so stupid and obnoxious.

There's another that's on right now that I can hear in the other room. It's where the kid is giving his stuffed animals and apparently his little sister hair cuts and the mom just looks in horror and then looks relieved as she pulls out the Swiffers. Um, I'm pretty sure if I did something like that as a kid that my mom wouldn't look relieved and pull out the Swiffers, but rather a look of anger and then I'd end up with a tanned behind. :w00t:

• Upvote 1

monroe    51

I mostly agree with your thoughts about commercials ... but I have watched and collected (downloaded) many TV commercials that really were made to watch more than once ... these commercials were worth keeping or at least watching more than once.

Who can forget the famous Apple commercial from years back with Ellen Feiss. It was the Apple 'Switch' campaign ... various people who had switched from a Windows PC to a MAC.

From Wikipedia:

"Switch was an advertising campaign launched by Apple Computer, Inc. (now Apple, Inc.) on June 10, 2002. It featured what the company referred to as "real people" who had "switched" from the Microsoft Windows platform to the Mac. An international television and print ad campaign directed users to a website where various "myths" about the Mac platform were "dispelled". The television commercials were directed by Errol Morris.

A young woman who appeared in the commercials, Ellen Feiss, became an internet celebrity. Feiss was a friend of Morris's son Hamilton Morris, who also appeared in a commercial."

Brown University Newspaper Publishes Interview With Ellen Feiss

November 22nd, 2002

https://www.macobserver.com/article/2002/11/22.10.shtml

The actual ad ... Youtube

https://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0#complete=0&q=youtube+Ellen+Feiss+apple

That was one commercial that I never got tired of.

Then there are two commercials from either 2015 or 2016.

One commercial shows a girl student working on a school project ... making an actual 'volcano' ... with some help from her dad. It was Clorox Disinfecting Wipes and the exploding volcano was great.

TV Commercial - Clorox Disinfecting Wipes

https://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0#complete=0&q=clorox+volcano+commercial

and this really funny TV commercial from last summer or before. The girl on her bike adventure ... a Neosporin spot called 'The Jump'.

She's sitting at a picnic table telling this wild story of her bike adventures ... Sam, the third grade daredevil, as she regales friends with her latest adventure. She blows up the whole story ... says she was going 100 mph on her bike and jumped a 50 foot ravine and has a scar to prove it.

Neosporin + Pain Itch Scar Presents "The Jump"

https://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0#complete=0&q=Neosporin+%2B+Pain+Itch+Scar+Presents+"The+Jump"

... there are others and I enjoy the TV commercials from Europe and other parts of the world. Many would never play in the US but they are on Youtube.

So there are some real gems out there mixed with mostly terrible, forgettable ones.

monroe

Edited by monroe
add

Tommy    113

There can be a few decent ones out there surprisingly. But most of them these days are irritating. Like that girl in the forever Graco car seat. I hate the last two where she is dancing stupidly to some dopey pop music or whatever it was and then when she's older there's this awful rock noise and she's failing her arms around like she's got some sort of mental problem. And just when you think they've retired the commercial, it comes back again.

And don't even get me started with the stupidity of Geico. *shudders*