[Solved!] "Nomes no Brasil" doesn't work anymore on FF52 esr on XP.

dencorso

"Nomes no Brasil" is a database of citzen names.  It doesn't work anymore on XP, although it used to work, last year, from incept time. Sometime early this year it stopped working on XP. It still works all right with either IE 10 or IE11, as well as with FF 52.1.1 esr on 7 ultimate x86, but refuses to work (the site displays, but the search form isn't there) on the same FF 52.1.1 esr, when on XP SP3! My guess is this is an artificial limitation, coded deliberately on the site, to silently refuse working on XP, maybe not crafted directly by the page developpers, but perhaps by the developpers of some tool they've used. If so, it's possible it may be circumvented. Regrettably, I haven't, however, the necessary finesse to find out what the underlying issue actually is, nor how to circumvent it, but I'm sure some of you all might, so that's why I'm bringing this matter to your consideration. Your advice and help are much appreciated!  

It seems to work fine here on Firefox 52.1.1., and also Google Chrome Portable 49 (though I did have to allow Java on Chrome to make the search boxes display--I usually keep Java off on that browser).

That's on XP SP3.
There's boxes for name, country, gender, and it puts up a message in red about "less than three results" if I enter my name, but if I enter "Silva" or "Rossi" then many results are returned.  I mean, it seems to be fully functional, as I get it.

Well, that's beyond strange but, then again, it might be something on my machine's config... I'll give it a thorough look, hope I find something...
Which Java are you using, BTW: 8u131?

Nomes no Brasil also working with XPSP3 using Opera 12.18, and no Java installed.

There doesn't appear to be any logic to it. When I try to read a Microsoft support page using this computer all I get is white space, though MS catalog displays and functions normally using the same computer....go figure.

17 minutes ago, dencorso said:

I'll give it a thorough look, hope I find something...

You two rock! :thumbup
I rolled back my HOSTS file to the one I was using on Dec 2016, and that site started working again! :yes:
Something I added to the HOSTS file breaks it! My bad! :wacko:
Thanks a lot for your help and swift replies!