Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tErmY

WannaCrypt

10 posts in this topic

So, are 9X machines vulnerable?  I see MickeySoft released a patch for XP.  Could portions of it be used with 98?

I'm curious about 9x vulnerability too.

And... does anyone have a link to the .exe-file patch for XP? (I do use an XP system occasionally.)

- Doug B.

I would like to know if 9x/me is vulnerable.  The details to the EternalBlue SMB vulnerability is here:

https://packetstormsecurity.com/files/142548/ms17_010_eternalblue.rb.txt

A short but very technical explanation is here:

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/159654/how-does-the-eternalblue-exploit-work

If someone can compile an executable (that can run on XP/7) that probes the local lan (or be pointed to a specific lan IP where a win-9x machine is operating) and can display a basic pass/fail message to indicate if the target machine was exploitable (or cause the target machine to do something lame, like start the calculator app) then I'd be willing to test it.

i don't believe 9x was affected.

@tErmY: Thanks for the link. Got it!

More XP updates:

https://www.askwoody.com/2017/xp-sp3server-2003-security-patches-released-june-2017/

Wonder if any of this stuff can be used with 9X?

Well, this is certainly disappointing. There used to be several guys around here who knew about these things, or were willing to test them. I guess they've all moved on. Where's Axcel216 when you need him? Oh hell, I'd settle for Problemchylde right about now :)

Looks like I'll have to test these files myself. The latest unofficial "update pack" for XP that I found was XPSP3_QFE_UpdatePack_20170619. It's designed to be "slipstreamed," so the files don't need to be patched.

Inside was a newer version of GDIPLUS.DLL. It's a Vista file. Version 5.2.6002.24064. File date 02/13/17. 1,753,088 bytes.

It seems to work under SE. There are no missing dependencies. Of course, ti wouldn't register, but I don't believe any version of GDIPLUS will. My network works. I've got Internet access. As far as I can tell, it hasn't screwed anything up yet. Looks like it's safe enough to test.

I don't rightly know what GDIPLUS is used for. I believe it's got something to do with Visual C. I'll be sure to let you guys know if my machine blows up :)

Now this is weird.  I looked at three different XP "update packs."  All of them are using MSXML 4.0 SP 2 instead of SP 3.  I downloaded Problemchylde's latest "service pack" for 98.  He's got one from 07/12/16.  It's up to v3.56 now.  Last one I had was v3.37 from 01/15.  He's also using MSXML 4.0 SP 2.

Why aren't these guys using SP 3?  It's been out for almost seven years.