Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

98SE

Intel USB 3.0 xHCI XP driver

Recommended Posts

98SE    7

Are there any USB or driver programmers here that can help create a simple Intel USB 3.0 xHCI driver for XP?  Looking for some basic functionality first to detect and connect a USB keyboard and a USB mouse.  Intel was lazy and didn't bother making one so looking for some brilliant minds out there to help accomplish this so XP can remain functional many years to come.

Thanks in advance!!! :w00t:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
roytam1    23
7 hours ago, 98SE said:

Are there any USB or driver programmers here that can help create a simple Intel USB 3.0 xHCI driver for XP?  Looking for some basic functionality first to detect and connect a USB keyboard and a USB mouse.  Intel was lazy and didn't bother making one so looking for some brilliant minds out there to help accomplish this so XP can remain functional many years to come.

Thanks in advance!!! :w00t:

Maybe a working xHCI driver from ReactOS (GSoC 2017) will work on XP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
98SE    7
1 hour ago, roytam1 said:

Maybe a working xHCI driver from ReactOS (GSoC 2017) will work on XP.

ReactOS is that a Linux based pure Windows emulator?

Are they making a pure Windows XP 32 bit compatible driver?  Newer motherboards only use xHCI starting with Skylake.  I would need Windows XP xHCI driver for testing and modifying myself to work on as many systems as possible.  I didn't see any downloadable links to any USB drivers.  Can you link?  I don't need full mass storage device detection functionality since that would take a lot more code most like to build.  Just basic USB keyboard and USB mouse input support for now is good enough.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
roytam1    23
7 hours ago, 98SE said:

ReactOS is that a Linux based pure Windows emulator?

Are they making a pure Windows XP 32 bit compatible driver?  Newer motherboards only use xHCI starting with Skylake.  I would need Windows XP xHCI driver for testing and modifying myself to work on as many systems as possible.  I didn't see any downloadable links to any USB drivers.  Can you link?  I don't need full mass storage device detection functionality since that would take a lot more code most like to build.  Just basic USB keyboard and USB mouse input support for now is good enough.

Thanks.

ReactOS is a clean room reversed engineering free reimplementation of Windows (now targeting 2003 SP1)

and Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2017 they started a branch implementing xHCI driver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jumper    55

ReactOS is an NT clone that accepts 3rd-party drivers, but doesn't provide many natively. It uses much WINE code, but isn't Linux-based.

> GSoC 2017
Summer of 2017 isn't here, yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
roytam1    23
7 minutes ago, jumper said:

ReactOS is an NT clone that accepts 3rd-party drivers, but doesn't provide many natively. It uses much WINE code, but isn't Linux-based.

> GSoC 2017
Summer of 2017 isn't here, yet!
 

Yes, according to timeline, coding does not begin. https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline

https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/5423529534160896/#5099385011568640

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dencorso    532

One of the mentors will be Alex Ionescu himself! :worship:
Now I'm sure we'll have a usable generic USB 3.x device driver before this year ends!
Great News!!! :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
98SE    7
5 hours ago, dencorso said:

One of the mentors will be Alex Ionescu himself! :worship:
Now I'm sure we'll have a usable generic USB 3.x device driver before this year ends!
Great News!!! :yes:

I don't know who Alex Ionescu is but if he's coming out with a generical USB 3.0/3.1 driver for Intel xHCI controllers that's a huge step in the right direction.  But one step at a time.  Even limited USB mouse and USB keyboard functionality would be fine right now instead of a full USB driver stack.  :worship:

Later back port for Windows 2000 and 98SE !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
98SE    7
On 8/15/2017 at 0:17 PM, dencorso said:

This ring any bells?

Blessed be ramateja.g, for being hard at work for the benefit of many! :yes:

If he's truly your mentor and you "physically" know him unless you don't and just call him your "mentor" as Yoda would be the mentor of Star Wars fans, however if perhaps you physically know him then you can urge him to work on having a limited xHCI XP driver that can at least activate the USB mouse and USB keyboard and possibly other game controllers.  The idea is to able to slipstream this xHCI driver with XP SP3 installation.  And get an idea of how long this might take.  After your initial message and time that has elapsed it seems unlikely to happen any time soon so again lifting hopes and then smashing them.

I'm not too concerned about the xHCI ports for data storage at the moment because it won't impact XP installations for newer chipsets and made useful for low bandwidth input/output devices most importantly the Keyboard and the Mouse.  This beta driver should be able to be tested much quicker and more useful for the masses or 10% of the World if that figure is not Microsoft "fake news".  As for higher xHCI functionality that can come later through time and I'm in no rush as USB 3 cards will work in XP if you required that immediately.

:dubbio:

Edited by 98SE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dencorso    532

Alex Ionescu has never been my mentor, nor did I ever say that. He is one of the mentors of the GSoC 2017, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dibya    225

I am waiting for reactos to release driver. 

Samuka is also  working on a driver . He is making steady progress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×