win98se on z97m-d3h mobo (intel 9 series chipset)

truemaster

hello win98se fanboy here. after some years that i have 2 pcs one modern for everyday use, and one old for old games, i decide to try win98se on my new mobo. with the help of himemx.exe from freedos i manage to success my instalation, i also find chipset drivers (unofficial ones) from here http://windows98.xf.cz/

i install my sblive ct 4830 and i buy a pci-e gainward 6800gs card with 512 mb sound and video are ok. but i cant make a use of an ide controller i have a seagate sata 1 hdd 500gb with two partitions a 20gb fat32 partition for windows and the rest is an ntfs one (i use it on my primary os) the write and reads from my hdd are slow. when i put my mobo settings to ide windows will detect ide controlers i think they are dual pci ide single fifo, but after restart the windows will freeze if i go to safe mode and select the one with only secondary option the windows will boot ok but nothing will change on hdd perfomance. weird enough but if i select in bios the ahci mode windows will install and work ok slow reads and writes again but this time no ide controller-s but thats normal i think. my memory is 2x4gb ddr3 and in config.sys i always have this line device=c:\windows\himem.exe /max=512000 so windows will work approx 512 mb. now is there anything i can do for the slow reads and writes? my mobo as sata configuration have ide ahci and raid

Boot to DOS and test HDD speed. Then start Windows with WIN /D:F or WIN /D:V and test again in a dosbox.

Try enabling or disabling DMA access on the HDD in System Properties->Device Manager.

The Drive runs slow when it is running in Compatabilitiy mode using the BIOS Driver. When it uses the Windows Driver, it crashes.

You need my SATA Patch to properly use a SATA Drive on that Motherboard.

2 hours ago, rloew said:

I stopped making Patch Demos. They are too easy to pirate.

cant blame ya here. nobody want his job to be stealed. how much it costs? and how to send you money? via paypal please.

Here's a link to rloew's website. http://rloew1.no-ip.com/

You can use PayPal, just send it to the email on the site. The SATA patch is listed in the Prerelease section but it has long been established as working properly. I also recommend his RAM patch for your particular setup. I have an X79 chipset system running the RAM patch, SATA patch, and others with both 95C and 98SE that I set up for experiments. You won't be disappointed! :)

1 hour ago, LoneCrusader said:

Here's a link to rloew's website. http://rloew1.no-ip.com/

You can use PayPal, just send it to the email on the site. The SATA patch is listed in the Prerelease section but it has long been established as working properly. I also recommend his RAM patch for your particular setup. I have an X79 chipset system running the RAM patch, SATA patch, and others with both 95C and 98SE that I set up for experiments. You won't be disappointed! :)

I wasn't aware there was a Windows 95C.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/osWin95BC-c.html

OEM SR2.5: This was produced at around the time that Microsoft became obsessed with tying browsers into their operating system. :^) It includes everything from OSR2.1 and also Internet Explorer 4. This variant is often called "Windows 95C".

So did you notice any differences between 95B and 95C?

Is updating 95B to IE4.0 the exact same thing?

On your 95C is Quick Launch user interface enabled by default?

Why did you need the SATA patch for your configuration?  How large are your SATA drives?

Edited by 98SE

my hdd for win98se is a seagate sata1 500 gb ofcource the hdd has a 20 gb partition the other partition is ntfs for store things for my primary os which is win10

Edited by truemaster

1 hour ago, rloew said:

The SATA Patch is for Interface issues, not any size limit.

Strange.  I never had any problems getting into 98SE with SATA drives.  I will have to check if AHCI or IDE mode makes any difference.

What is the name of the BIOS Disk Driver replacement that can switch off AHCI if AHCI is being used for other OSes?   Does this come with your SATA patch?