[Cancelled by the Author] Extended Kernel for XP (ExtendedXP)

Dibya

3 minutes ago, Damnation said:

If your laptop is as old as I think it is you will need to put in a USB 3.0 PCMCIA card to get USB 3 speeds.

and they won't be an intel chip, probably Renesas or ASmedia or something

Which - if it exists (which I doubt) - will probably be a CardBus and not a PCMCIA (Yes, I am picky):

If more modern, it will be ExpressCard:

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExpressCard

jaclaz

OK ... two fast replies already. It was too much to hope for that USB 3.0 might work ... but with this new information I can do further research. I can live with the 2.0 speed but the faster speed would be really nice on larger downloads.

My computers are old as you guessed, around 2004/2005 timeframe ... T41 and two T42s ... still working great in 2017.

Still a great project happening here. I am also interested in seeing if the newer Pale moon versions will work in XP ... my last XP version is from Nov 2016 ... when XP was dropped.

1 hour ago, monroe said:

OK ... two fast replies already. It was too much to hope for that USB 3.0 might work ... but with this new information I can do further research. I can live with the 2.0 speed but the faster speed would be really nice on larger downloads.

My computers are old as you guessed, around 2004/2005 timeframe ... T41 and two T42s ... still working great in 2017.

Still a great project happening here. I am also interested in seeing if the newer Pale moon versions will work in XP ... my last XP version is from Nov 2016 ... when XP was dropped.

Why so much interest in Palemoon?  Firefox especially older versions are pretty good before they changed the interface look.  Also there is SeaMonkey and Opera which all work in XP.  I never liked Google Chrome and they don't offer stand alone installers so you can use an older version.

No we are talking about xHCI ports.  eHCI is only USB 2.0 not USB 3.0.  Just like earlier USB 1.0/1.1 ports can't do USB 2.0 or 3.0 speeds.  Or a Pinto can't be perform like a Lambo just cause you change the paint job you got to replace the engine just like replacing the USB controller.  The larger downloads you are talking about I assume from the internet then the bottleneck will be your ISP and your ethernet or Wifi connection moreso than the USB 2.0 speeds.  USB 2.0 is still good enough for HD videos.  USB 3.0 in most tests ends up 2-3 times faster than USB 2.0.  Not that big a boost compared to USB 1.1.

The only USB 3.0 for laptop if it doesn't have it built in that I can think of are ExpressCards.  But the XP xHCI driver support was focused on the Z170 motherboards since they dropped USB 2.0 eHCI.  If the proper Hardware IDs are added it should work on laptops with the Intel xHCI also not just desktops.

1 hour ago, 98SE said:

Don't stress yourself Dibya.  XP doesn't need to run Windows 7 programs compatibility.  Also no need to make every browser work on it.  Firefox still works on XP and doesn't need Vista/W7 code.  Waste of time and might create XP software compatibility problems later doing too much.  It will be a nightmare trying to make it run W7 software on XP completely or always needing to patch each program to work and waste your energy.

I respectfully disagree with you on that @98SE. XP might still be ok for most apps these days, but you can already see plenty of modern software not working on XP, and saying that it's no use developing a deep compatibility layer because what we have is good enough is not a very forward way of thinking (especially considering one of the main goals of the project is to extend the life of XP). Look at the Windows 9x line of OSs. One minute you have most programs working, the other XP is a minimum requirement. Keeping a 16 year old OS relevant is a daunting task, but efforts such as these are needed for the long run, if you care about it the way @Dibya does.

I don't want to hijack this thread dealing with my older computers ... so I will make this my last post here and start a new thread for more questions.

I'm looking at this on Amazon ... PCMCIA

https://www.amazon.com/TOOGOO-Port-Express-PCMCIA-Laptop/dp/B00UFJ014Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497115072&sr=8-3&keywords=USB+3.0+PCMCIA

TOOGOO(R)3 Port USB 3.0 Express Card 54mm PCMCIA Express Card for Laptop NE

Price:$10.41 & FREE Shipping

The card is suitable for the interface ExpressCard 54 mm.

With this USB 3.0 ExpressCard you can provide two additional USB 3.0 ports for your notebook easily and comfortably.

... I'm not sure what the 54mm is exactly ... need to read and figure all this out. Will keep reading for more ideas.

this is also USB 3.0 and it looks like it has a USB standard plug but it does not take flash drives ... just various cards.

TNP USB 3.0 SuperSpeed All-in-1 Multi Memory Card Reader for Compact Flash/ Micro SD / SD/ CF / XD / M2 / MS Cards with USB 3.0 Cable Black/Silver

Price:$16.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25

https://www.amazon.com/TNP-SuperSpeed-Memory-Reader-Compact/dp/B013JP4PAS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497115072&sr=8-2&keywords=USB+3.0+PCMCIA

... as for Pale Moon, I have tried Firefox and just don't care for it ... it really eats my memory up at times and my computer starts running hot ... Pale Moon seems to be a little 'easier' on my notebook for heat 'most' of the time.

Just to add ... I don't use Pale Moon all that much, mostly for banking and other password sites. Most of the time I use:

K-Meleon 18.24

K-Meleon 75.1

K-Meleon 76 Pro

Edited by monroe
add

2 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

I respectfully disagree with you on that @98SE. XP might still be ok for most apps these days, but you can already see plenty of modern software not working on XP, and saying that it's no use developing a deep compatibility layer because what we have is good enough is not a very forward way of thinking (especially considering one of the main goals of the project is to extend the life of XP). Look at the Windows 9x line of OSs. One minute you have most programs working, the other XP is a minimum requirement. Keeping a 16 year old OS relevant is a daunting task, but efforts such as these are needed for the long run, if you care about it the way @Dibya does.

That's why you would dual OS boot to solve most software issues.  XP 32bit or W7 64bit should be good enough.  The XP W7 layer shouldn't be a priority.  It is better to get functionality that enhances the OS and USB 3.0 is probably easier to accomplish.  USB 3.0 was one that was not included and now more important since USB 2.0 has been killed on Z170 so XP is harder to be used without USB 3.0 functionality.  If you can't get the USB devices working then you won't even even be able to use XP or your W7 programs on it.  More memory is good but if you Dibya keeps wasting his time trying to create Windows 7 Compatibility he will never finish the USB 3.0.  It should be done in chunks.  Get USB 3.0 to work on standard XP if possible first.  Once that's accomplished then he can focus on W7 layer if that's what he wants.

But it is better for him to focus on W7 instead and add DX12 or do Vista and add USB 3.0 and W7 Compatibility with DX12 would be my preference.

I don't see any benefit to spend time trying to get all W7 software to work on XP at this point but maybe later on.  That's something that might require a huge team to beta test everything.  He might learn more trying to get DX12 into Vista or W7 first.  Then use that knowledge to see if can be backported into XP.  Then he can do an XP USB 3.0 with DX12 now that would be something worth using.

There aren't too many programs that I need/use that require W7 so unless you are talking about games then I don't see why you aren't just using Windows 7 for that.  The browser thing isn't an issue for me and so far they haven't dropped XP support and if they have it doesn't mean an older version of that browser won't work for the time being and most web sites aren't going to be dead overnight.  Mainly those banking sites might be the first ones that require updating.  If your focus is on games then you should be interested in seeing the Vista USB 3.0 / W7 DX12 patch instead.  I think it would be an overwhelming thing to make XP run all the W7 software.  And then what you still have no DX12 so you'll end up wanting to get W10 to run those software so you would have wasted your effort.  Let's say Dibya focuses on making W7 Compatibility Layer.  It may take 3 years for all we know since I haven't even seen a working USB 3.0 yet done so I can't imagine how long it will take adding that W7 compatibility layer on top and he's doing this mainly by himself.  Then in the meantime no USB 3.0 support while too busy trying to do a W7 compatibility layer and by then most people have moved to Windows 7 or 10 due to need to run those DX12 programs.  Do the easier ones first.  Otherwise there will be no beta to test.

Edited by 98SE

1 hour ago, 98SE said:

I never liked Google Chrome and they don't offer stand alone installers so you can use an older version.

This assertion I can contradict! Downloadlink for x86 / x64, as well as for business x86 / x64. What some users have not yet known is Google Chrome and Firefox WebRTC have implemented where it is possible to an IP backtrace despite VPN or proxy. Both Web browsers use the same stun server (stun.l.google.com). Nevertheless, I would be very pleased if Google Chrome after the versions 49 could work again.

:)

10 hours ago, heinoganda said:

This assertion I can contradict! Downloadlink for x86 / x64, as well as for business x86 / x64. What some users have not yet known is Google Chrome and Firefox WebRTC have implemented where it is possible to an IP backtrace despite VPN or proxy. Both Web browsers use the same stun server (stun.l.google.com). Nevertheless, I would be very pleased if Google Chrome after the versions 49 could work again.

I don't think you understood what I'm asking.  This is still the same site where a smaller installer runs to download the latest version.  I'm talking about a stand alone offline full installation meaning you download one file that includes everything to install the entire browser offline.  There should be no need to be online to finish the installation process.  Do you have something like that for all older versions of Google Chrome?  Firefox has this as well as others.

Edited by 98SE

1 hour ago, 98SE said:

Do you have something like that for all older versions of Google Chrome?

It is correct that only the latest version can be downloaded, but I have archived offlineinstaller of older Google Chrome versions. With below for the last working version under Windows XP (49) I created my own installer, where at least various components are up-to-date.

Lol currently I have following high priority plans UEFI,USB3.0/3.1,Dispatch,Ram patch , DirectX10/11/12,some most needed nt 6.x apps like chrome, Dropbox,blender,file zilla so on

Lastly all new drivers .......

3 hours ago, Dibya said:

Lol currently I have following high priority plans UEFI,USB3.0/3.1,Dispatch,Ram patch , DirectX10/11/12,some most needed nt 6.x apps like chrome, Dropbox,blender,file zilla so on

USB 3 is most important, at least in my opinion.

15 hours ago, Dibya said:

#1) Yes for XP 32-bit the focus should be on the Intel xHCI USB 3.0/3.1 should be at the top.  Then stable memory patch to 262GB.

#2) Switch to Vista 64-bit SP2 DX11 update to support W7 SP1/ W10 software compatibility with DX12 patch. No need to deal with DX10,DX11 patch since it is embedded.  Then no reason for W10.

After #1,#2 Done finally do #3 Add W7 SP1/W10 software compatibility and DX12 patch to XP-32bit.

That should be the priority list.  More people can use the software while less effort on Dibya at each stage.

I can do XP/Vista setup and experiment to make sure it's stable.

Nt6.x are far different I do not know their kernel structure.  I have studied xp kernel under disassembler for 3 years to come up something . Developing two os at a time is terrific .

1 hour ago, Dibya said:

Nt6.x are far different I do not know their kernel structure.  I have studied xp kernel under disassembler for 3 years to come up something . Developing two os at a time is terrific .

Three years? :w00t:

Possibly developing two os's at a time is more terrifying :ph34r: than terrific. :dubbio:

jaclaz

If two oses are almost similar like xp and 2k3 ,2K then two oses can be developed but otherwise with too many difference will kill the developer . If someone wants to develop vista I will help him but I cannot do my self .